LOCATION: Punjab AREA: xx km² VILLAGES: xx POPULATION: xx RELIGION: Sikh
REVENUE: Rs DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Sandhu Jat SEAT: Lahore ACCESSION: 29th March 1849
PRESENT HEAD OF FAMILY: see Raja Sansi
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Lahore was founded in 1805, by Sandhu Jats, of whom Sardar Budh Singh (His Origins) was the first historically known ancestor, though they claim a rajput descent from Raja Jaisal, the founder of Jaisalmer. An ancestor of Budh Singh, was Bhara Mall, who lived in Gujranwala district and had been initiated into the Sikh faith by the Seventh Guru, Guru Har Rai 1644/1661. Rulers were...
- Maharaja RANJIT SINGH, Maharaja of Lahore 1801/1839 and Misldar of the Sukerchakia misl 1792/1801, born 13th November 1780 in Gujranwala, he assumed the title of Maharaja in April 1801, married 17 wives (see here), and had issue. He died 27th June 1839 in Lahore.
- Maharaja Kharak Singh (by Rani Raj Kaur)(qv)
- Kunwar Ishwar Singh (by Rani Mahtab Kaur), born 1804, died 1805.
- Maharaja Sher Singh (twin, by Rani Mahtab Kaur)(qv)
- Shahzada Tara Singh (twin, by Rani Mahtab Kaur), born in December 1807, he was an imbecile and was supported by his brother; in 1841, he went to his new jagir of Dasuya in Hoshiarpur, and his two wives came to Lahore and lived with Maharaja Sher Singh till his death; married 1stly, Rani Dharam Kaur Randhavi, died after 1889, daughter of Sardar Jodh Singh of Randhawa, married 2ndly, Rani Nand Kaur Bhitividwali, died 1843, daughter of Chanda Singh of Bhitivid, in Amritsar. He died sp in September 1859 at Dasuya in Hoshiarpur.
- Sardar Multana Singh (by Rani Ratan Kaur), born 1819, married Rani Chand Kaur, and had issue. He died 1848.
- Sardar Kishan Singh (by Chand Kaur), born 1840,
he died after 1889.
- Sardar Kesra Singh (by Chand Kaur), born 1842, married and had issue. He died before 1890.
- Sardar Uttam Singh
- Sardar Arjan Singh (by Man Kaur, concubine), born 1840, he served as a munsif in Punjab for many years, married and had issue. He died 1881.
- Sardar Hari Siingh
- Sardar Kashmira Singh (by Rani Daya Kaur), born 1821, he and his brother, held the llaka of Sialkot, worth Rs. 50,000, in jagir; he took refuge with Baba Bir Singh, a famous Sikh Guru, when Raja Hira Singh became Minister, and he was killed with the Baba and Sardar Atar Singh Sindhanwalia by the Sikh army in July 1848, married and had issue. He died 7th May 1844 or in July 1848.
- Sardar Fateh Singh, born 1844, he rarely visited
his estates and never took part in public affairs;
married 1stly, Rani Lachman Kaur, daughter of
Subedar Jawahir Singh, of Lohian, Gajranwala, was
the owner of half the assigned villages in
Baraich. He died sp in 1873.
- Sardar Peshaura Singh (by Rani Daya Kaur), born 1823, he was murdered by Fateh Khan Tiwana and Sardar Chatar Singh Atariwala at Attock in August 1844 by the orders of Sardar Jawahir Singh, the Minister; married and had issue. He died 30th August 1845.
- Sardar Jagjodh Singh [aka Jagot Singh], born 1844, he and his
cousin, were granted after annexation a joint taluqa of 26 villages worth Rs. 20,000 in Baraich, Oudh, that were formerly included in the Chahlari estate and a few plots of land in and around Colonelganj in Gonda district, now (1890)
yielding Rs. 30,000 p.a., shortly after attaining
his majority, he took up his residence permanently
in Baraich, where he managed his half of the
original jagir; he was chiefly distinguished for
his very high personal character and his liberal
and catholic benevolence; during the great Bengal
famine of 1874 he devoted the whole of the income
from his private property and assigned estates to
the relief of the sufferers; a staunch ally of
Government, and on more than one occasion, he has
given practical proof of his loyalty; he lived the
life of a recluse, and rarely visited the Punjab,
he was in receipt of a pension of Rs. 150 p.m.,
which was enjoyed by his mother until her death in
1872 and owned 223 acres revenue-free; married Sardarni Rani Lachman Kaur, she owned 355 acres, with only one half assessed at Rs750, and had issue. He died after 1910 and before 1930.
- Sardar Amar Singh, Taluqdar of Chahlari, born 1876, married and had issue.
- Sarder Daljit Singh, Taluqdar of Chahlari, born after 1912.
- Mian Indar Singh, he died after 1933.
- HH Maharaja Dhuleep Singh (by Maharani Jindan Kaur)(qv)
- Maharaja KHARAK
SINGH, Maharaja of Lahore 1839/1840, born
31st January 1802, married 1stly, February 1812,
Maharani Chand Kaur (qv), married 2ndly, 1816,
Maharani Bibi Khem Kaur Dhillon, daughter of Sardar
Jodh Singh Kalalwala, married 3rdly, 1818, Rani Kishan
Kaur, daughter of Chaudhri Raja Singh of Samra,
married 4thly (by chaddar-dalna),
1815, Rani Ishar Kaur, daughter (or sister) of Sardar
Mangal Singh Sandhu of Siranwali, in Sialkot district
of the Punjab, committed sati on 5th November
1840, and had issue. He died 4th November 1840 and was
cremated the next day.
- Maharaja Naunihal Singh (by Chand Kaur)(qv)
- Maharaja NAUNIHAL SINGH, Maharaja of Lahore 1840 (4th to 5th November), born 9th March 1821, married 1stly, in March 1837, Maharani Sahib Kaur [Bibiji Nanaki], died November 1856, daughter of Sardar Shyam Singh Attariwala, married 2ndly, Rani Sahib Kaur, died 1841, daughter of Sardar Gurditt Singh Gilwaliwala, married 3rdly, Rani Bhadauran, committed sati in November 1840, daughter of Sardar Jawahar Singh of Bhadaur, married 4thly, Rani Katochan, committed sati in November 1840, daughter of Mian Rai Singh, illegitimate son of Mian Fateh Singh of Lambagraon. He died sp on 5th November 1840.
- Maharajkumar (name unknown) Singh, born in July 1841.
- Maharani Chand Kaur Kunwar, Maharani of Lahore 1840/1841, born 1802 in Fatehpur, daughter of Sardar Jaimal Singh of the Kanhaiya misl, proclaimed the Maharani of the Punjab, with the title of Malika Muqaddasa (Emperess Immaculate) on 2nd December 1840, she relinquished her claim to the throne on 17th January 1841 and was pensioned off with a jagir worth 900,000 rupees annually, married February 1812, Maharaja Kharak Singh, and had issue. She died 12th June 1842 and was cremated the next day.
- Maharaja SHER SINGH, Maharaja of Lahore 1841/1843, born December 1807, ascended the throne on 29th January 1841, with the tilak ceremony being performed a week later, married 1stly, 1819, Rani Desa Kaur, she died sp in 1821, daughter of Sardar Mohar Singh Nakai, married 2ndly, 1822, Maharani Prem Kaur, born 1809, died 1874, daughter of Hari Singh, a Waraich Jat, Lambardar of Ladhewala in the Gajranwala district, she received an annual pension of Rs7,200 after 1843, she adopted a son, Narain Singh, son of Attar Singh, of Bhano Bhindi, in the Sialkot district, married 3rdly, 1825, Maharani Pratap Kaur, died 23rd August 1857, daughter of Sardar Jagat Singh, Chaudhri of Kot Kapura, she adopted Thakar Singh in 1847, he was the son of her cousin, Sardar Gaja Singh, married 4thly, July 1842, Rani Dakno Devi, daughter of a Chang Zamindar of Jhujian, near Lambagraon, in Kangra (#5), she and her son accompanied Maharaja Duleep Singh to Fatehgarh in November 1849, and afterwards lived at Bareily in the North-West Provinces, she died at Rai Bareilly as prisoner of the British, married (a) 1841, Rani Dharam Kaur Randhavi, died after 1889, daughter of Sardar Jodh Singh of Randhawa, and wife of his 'twin' brother, married (b) 1841, Rani Nand Kaur Bhitividwali, died 1843, daughter of Chanda Singh of Bhitivid, in Amritsar, and also wife of his 'twin' brother, married (c), Rani Zebo Kaur, died 1864, and had issue. He was assasinated on 15th September 1843.
- Tikka Pratap Singh (by Prem Kaur), born 1831, he was brutally murdered by Sardar Lehna Singh Sandhanwalia on the 15th September 1843.
- Sardar Dewa Singh (by Chand Kaur), born 1838, he was in receipt of an annual pension of Rs7,200. He died 1874.
- Shahzada Bahadur Shah Dev Singh (by Rani Dakno
Devi), 1st Taluqdar of Pandriganeshpur, born 1843 [1844 (#2)],
in 1864, he was granted a property of eight villages
and two mahals in pargana Rae Bareli, and three
villages and one mahal in Dalmau pargana, on a
revenue-free tenure, he further acquired three
villages in Kumhrawan, and one village and two
mahals in Rae Bareli, and increased still further by
the addition of three mahals and four pattis in Rae
Bareli and one mahal in Dalmau, the whole estate is
known as the Taluq of Pandriganeshpur; married in
April 1860, a daughter of Sardar Fateh Singh,
Jagirdar of Suga (see Shamgarh),
and had issue. He died at Rae Bareli as a prisoner
of the British before 1904.
- Kunwar Sukh Dev Singh
- Shahzada Bas Dev Singh [Basudeo Singh], 2nd Taluqdar
of Pandriganeshpur, Baenti, Gokalpur etc., after
his death the estate was inherited by his nephew,
the Maharaja of Dholpur. He died after 1903 and
- HH Maharani Harbans Kaur, married Maj. HH Rais ud-Daulah Sipahdar ul-Mulk Maharajadhiraj Sri Sawai Maharaja Rana Nihal Singh Lokindra Bahadur Diler Jung Jai Deo of Dholpur, and had issue.
- Lt.-Col. HH Rais ud-Daulah Sipahdar ul-Mulk Saramad Rajha-i-Hind Maharajadhiraj Sri Sawai Maharaja Rana Sir Udaibhan Singh Lokindra Bahadur Diler Jung Jai Deo of Dholpur.
- (A) Sardar Karam Singh, born 1838, son of a Zamindar of Mukerian, he was adopted (1838) by Rani Dharam Kaur, first wife of Shahzada Tara Singh. He died after 1890.
- (A) Sardar Bakshish Singh, he was
adopted by Rani Zebo Kaur, they both enjoyed a
jagir of Rs10,000 in Khanwan and other villages of
Gurdaspur previous to the British annexation in
1849 when the grant was reduced to one of Rs.
5,916 per annum. On the death of Rani Zebo in 1864
the allowance was further reduced to Rs. 1,968,
which Sardar Bakhshish Singh he enjoyed till his
- (A) Sardar Narain Singh, he was adopted by Rani Prem Kaur, he was a Munsif in the Panjab, in receipt of a political pension of Rs. 2,400 per annum; married and had issue.(#1)
- Kunwar Harnam Singh, born 1878.
- Kunwar Attar Singh, born 1879.
- (A) Sardar Thakur Singh, born 1847, son of Sardar Raja Singh of Kot Kapura, he was adopted by Rani Pratap Kaur in 1847, and on her death he was granted a pension of Rs. 1,800 per annum, which he enjoyed till his death, he served for some years as a Munsif, and afterwards he lived with his brother-in-law the Raja of Faridkot.
- HH Maharaja DHULEEP SINGH, Maharaja of Lahore [15.9.1843- [29.3.1849] and Head of the Royal Family of Lahore [29.3.1849] - [23.10.1893], born 5th September 1838, married 1stly, 6th July 1864 in Cairo, HH Maharani Bamba Müller, born 1847, died 18th September 1887 in Suffolk, married 2ndly, May 1889 in Paris, Ada Douglas Wetherill, born 1867, died August 1930, and had issue. He died 23rd October 1893 in Paris.
- HH Maharaja Victor Albert Jay Dhuleep Singh (qv)
- HH Maharaja Frederick Victor Dhuleep Singh (qv)
- Princess Bamba Sofia Jindan Duleep Singh, born 29th September 1869 in London, married Dr. Sutherland. She died sp on 3rd October 1957 in Lahore.
- Princess Catherine Hilda Duleep Singh, born 27th October 1871, died sp in 1947.
- Princess Sophia Alexandra Duleep Singh, born 8th August 1876, died sp on 22nd August 1948.
- Prince Albert Edward Alexander Dhuleep Singh, born 20th August 1879 in Suffolk, died 22nd April 1893 in Suffolk.
- Princess Paulina Alexandra Duleep Singh, born 26th December 1887, married J.S. Torry. She died sp.
- Princess Ada Irene Helen Beryl Duleep Singh, born 25th October 1889, married M.Villement. She died sp in October 1926 in Monaco.
- HH Maharaja VICTOR ALBERT JAY DHULEEP SINGH, 'Maharaja of Lahore' 1893/1918, born 10th July 1866 in London, married 4th January 1898, Lady Anne Blanche Coventry, born 27th January 1874, died sp on 2nd July 1956, daughter of Lord George William Coventry, 9th Earl of Coventry, and his wife, Lady Blanche Craven. He died sp on 7th June 1918.
- HH Maharaja FREDERICK VICTOR DHULEEP SINGH, 'Maharaja of Lahore' 1918/1926, born 28th January 1868 in London, he died unmarried spl on 15th August 1926 in Norfolk.
- Chales Goddard (by a Miss Godard), born 1888, married Ada Stevens, and had issue.
- Stanley Goddard, born 1914, married Olwen Roberts, and had issue.
- Robert Godard, born 1944, married and has