|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:Founded
in 1778, Maihar was located in the Bundelkhand Agency,
Central India States. The family apparently migrated from
Alwar in the 17th or 18th century with Bhim Singh, and
obtained land from the Orchha chief. Rulers were....
- Thakur BENISINHJI,
1st Thakur Saheb of Maihar 1778/1788, born 1719,
grandson of Bhim Singh, became minister to Raja
Hindupat of Orchha, who granted him the territory that
now forms most of the Maihar tehsil in 1778, which
originally was part of Rewah, he constructed numerous
tanks and buildings, married and had issue. He died
- Thakur Rajdharsinhji Benisinhji (qv)
- Thakur Durjansinhji Benisinhji (qv)
RAJDHARSINHJI BENISINHJI, 2nd Thakur Saheb of
Maihar 1788/1790, born about 1765, his lands were
occupied by Nawab Ali Bahadur of Banda, married and
had issue. He died 1790.
BENISINHJI, 3rd Thakur Saheb of Maihar
1790/1825, born 1766, Durjan Singh received sanads from the
British Government in 1806 and 1814, confirming him in
the possession of his lands, the state was divided
between his two sons after his death, married and had
issue. He died 1825.
- Thakur Bishansinhji Durjansinhji (qv)
- Thakur Pragdasji Durjansinhji of Kunwara, served
as Kamdar to the Raja of Panna in 1829; obtained
Bijai Raghogarh of 1,036sq. kms. in 1826, which was
confiscated in 1858 owing to the rebellion of the
chief; married and had issue. He died 1845.
- Thakur Surjuprasadji Pragdasji of Bijai
DURJANSINHJI, 4th Thakur Saheb of Maihar
1826/1850, born 1797, the Bengal
Government in 1828/1831, recognized the right of the
Thakur Sahib to the Taluka of Khatoli which had been
leased to Lal Jagmohan Singh, Jagirdar of Simeria and a tributary of the Raja
of Rewa; married and had issue. He died
- Thakur Mohanprasadsinhji Bishansinhji (qv)
MOHANPRASADSINHJI BISHANSINHJI, 5th Thakur
Saheb of Maihar 1850/1852, born 1816, married and had
issue. He died 1852.
- Raja Raghubirsinhji Mohanprasadsinhji (qv)
Raja RAGHUBIR SINGH
Ju Deo, 6th Raja Saheb of Maihar 1852/1908,
born 1843 (#1),
succeeded 1852, Raja [cr.1869] (Hereditary), a
personal salute of 9 guns was granted on 1st January
1877 and made hereditary in 1878; married Kumari
(Victoria) Gauramma [Mudama Mussamat], born 1841 in
Benares, died 30th June 1864 in London, she converted
to the Christian faith, with Queen Victoria being the
sponsor, and was baptized with the name of Victoria on
30th June 1852, and had issue. He died 1908.
- Raja Jadubir Singh Ju Deo (qv)
- Raja Randhir Singh Ju Deo (qv)
- Rajkumar Brijbir Singh, born 1877, married and had
- Kunwar Brijendra Singh, born 1898, died 1918.
Raja JADUBIR SINGH
Ju Deo, 7th Raja Saheb of Maihar 1908/1910,
born in August 1864, died sp on 7th January 1910.
Raja RANDHIR SINGH
Ju Deo, 8th Raja Saheb of Maihar 1910/1911,
born 1865, married and had issue, three sons. He died
15th December 1911.
- HH Maharaja Sir Brijnath Singh Ju Deo Bahadur (qv)
- Rajkumar Yadunath Singh, born 1897, died 1924.
- Kunwar Brijdev Singh, born 1905, educated at Daly
College, Indore; married Kunwarani Brinda Devi,
daughter of Maharaja Danganjan Singh Deo of Patna, and had issue.
- Rajkumari Shakuntala Kumari (by HH Maharani
Brinda Devi), married Rajkumar Narayan Singh of
Chamba, and had issue.
HH Maharaja Sir
BRIJNATH SINGH Ju Deo Bahadur K.C.I.E., 9th
Maharaja Saheb of Maihar 1911/1968 , born 22nd
February 1896 (#2),
educated at Daly College, Indore; he succeeded his
father to the gadi
on 16th December 1911, and was invested with full
ruling powers on 24th January 1917; he was granted the
title of Maharaja [193x]; married 1stly, in February
1915, Kumari Kausalya Devi, she died 9th May 1930, a
daughter of Thakore Shri Daulatsinhji of Dhrol, she had issue, two
sons and three daughters, married 2ndly, 1920, HH
Maharani Surendra Kumari Devi, daughter of the Maharaj
Chhatar Singh of Semalia
in Rajasthan, married 3rdly, HH Maharani Tej Kumari,
and had issue, three sons and six daughters. He died
13th October 1968.
- HH Maharaja Govind Singh Ju Deo Bahadur (by HH
Maharani Surendra Kumari Devi) (qv)
- Maharajkumar Ram Chandra Singh (by HH Maharani
Surendra Kumari Devi), born 4th November 1933,
married and had issue, six sons and three daughters.
- Rajkumar Lokendra Singh Sahib
- Rajkumar Bhagwati Singh Sahib
- Rajkumari Bhimeshwari Kunwar, married Kunwar
Sahib Chandrashekhar Singhji of Sathin in
- Rajkumar Pradeep Singh Sahib
- Rajkumar Jaideep Singh Sahib
- Rajkumar Brahmnarayan Singh Sahib
- Maharajkumari Mahendra Kumari Devi (by HH Maharani
Surendra Kumari Devi), married Raja Jagdish Pratap
Sahi of Deara Raj in
Sultanpur District, Oudh, U.P., and had issue.
- Maharajkumar Narayan Singh Judeo (by Maharani
Kausalya Devi), third son, M.L.A. (Maihar); married
Rajkumari Sarat Kumari Devi, daughter of Raja Saheb
Anirudh Pratap Narayan Singh of Padrauna, and has
issue, four children.
- Rajkumari Sharda Kunwar, born 18th June 1968,
married 2nd May 1986 in Salempur, Kunwar Sanjay
Singh of Salempur, Azamgarh, and has issue.
- Kumari Rajlaxmi Singh
- Kumari Rajeswari Singh
- Bhanwar Rudra Raj Singh
- Rajkumari Jayanti Kunwar
- Rajkumar Brij Raj Singh Judeo
- Rajkumari Jyoti Kunwar
- Rajkumar Dushyant Singh
- Kanwarani Rajendra Kumari, born 5th November 1943,
married 20th June 1957, Kanwar Rajendra Singh of Bashahr, and had
- Maharajkumari Narendra Kumari (by Maharani Tej
Kumari), born in Jabalpur, married 17th June 1966 at
Labhowa, Rana Surendra Singh Jhala of Labhowa (see Chuda), and has issue,
one son and one daughter.
- Rajkumari Yogeshwari Devi, born 5th
August 1968, married Mr. Krishnakant Sharma of
Ahmedabad, and has issue, two daughters.
- Miss Twinkle Sharma
- Miss Ritu Sharma
- Rana Hanumant Singh Jhala, born 26th
- Maharajkumari Devendra Kumari, married Thakur
Devendra Singh of Kot Alampur.
- Maharajkumari Pushpendra Kumari, born 9th March
1948, married 11th March 1974, Kumar Arun Chandra
Singh of Sonpur in Bihar.
- Maharajkumari Chandraprabha Kumari
HH Maharaja GOVIND
SINGH Ju Deo Bahadur, 10th Maharaja Saheb of
Maihar 1968/1981, born 21st March 1924, educated
locally in Maihar and at Mayo College, Ajmer; married
1stly, HH Maharani Yaduvansh Kumari, daughter of
Maj.Gen. HH Maharajadhiraj Raj Bhupinder Singh
Mahendra Bahadur of Patiala,
and his wife, HH Maharani Vimal Kaur, married 2ndly,
HH Maharani Kanak Kumari, and had issue, as well as
futher issue by secondary wives, including Rani
Giriraj Kumari. He died 1981.
- Maharajkumari Durgesh Kumari (by Maharani
Yaduvansh Kumari), married Jitender Rangar, and has
issue, two sons.
- Kumar Dhawanender Rangar
- Kumar Dheerander Rangar
- Maharajkumari Kaushalindra Kumari (by Maharani
Yaduvansh Kumari), married Man Mohan Singh Puri, and
has issue, three daughters.
- Kumari Ketki Singh
- Kumari Gauri Singh
- Kumari Jyoti Singh
- Maharajkumari Mithalindra Kumari (by Maharani
Yaduvansh Kumari), married Madhukar Gupta, and has
issue, a son and a daughter.
- Kumari Bhavana Gupta
- Kumar Shivashish Gupta
- HH Maharaja Shrimant Saheb Charnamirit Singh Ju
Deo Bahadur (by Maharani Kanak Kumari) (qv)
- Maharajkumari Shailendra Kumari (by Maharani Kanak
- Maharajkumar Raghuvir Singh (by Rani Giriraj
Kumari), born 26th June 1969 at New Delhi, married
22nd May 1997 in Bikaner, Kaurani Ambika Kumari, and
Kumar Yashwardhan Singh, born 2001.
Kumar Harshwardhan Singh, born 2002.
Shrimant Saheb CHARNAMIRIT SINGH Ju Deo Bahadur,
11th Maharaja Saheb of Maihar 1981/- , born 1965,
married HH Shreemati Maharani Kaviteshwari Devi,
eldest daughter of Shrimant Raja Narendra Singhji of Jamnia, and his wife,
Shreemati Rani Kanak Devi, and had issue, one son and
- HH Maharaja Shrimant Saheb Aksayraj Singh Ju Deo
- Maharajkumari Vigyani Kumari, married 2010 at
Maihar Palace, Raja Samarendra Shekhar Deo, Raja
Saheb of Gangpur.
Shrimant Saheb AKSAYRAJ SINGH Ju Deo Bahadur
The help of Deepak Aggarwal is gratefully
acknowledged, July 2011.