|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Claiming descent from Jaisal, founder of the State of Jaisalmer in 1156, the
founder of this Sikh dynasty, Phul, was Chaudhri
(Governor) of a country located at the south east of
Dihli. Phul’s descendants founded three States: Patiala,
Jind and Nabha (see Phulkian misl).
In 1763, the Emir of Afghanistan awarded the Chaudhri the
dignity of Raja. The rulers were....
- Maharaja ALA SINGH,
1st Maharaja of Patiala 1763/1765, born 1691 at Phul,
in present day Bathinda district of the Punjab, the
third son of Bhai Ram Singh, he was granted the title
of Raja, with the robes of honour as well as with a
drum and a banner as insignia of royalty by Ahmad Shah
Durrani in March 1762 and a little later, the title of
Maharaja; married 1707, Rani Fateh Kaur [Mai Fatto],
daughter of Chaudhari Khana, a zamindar of the village
Kaleke, now in Sangrur district of the Punjab and had
issue, she died in 1773 at Patiala and was cremated at
Shahi Samadhan, the royal cemetery. He died on 7th
August 1765 at Patiala and was cremated in the Fort,
now inside the city.
- Kanwar Bhumian Singh, married and had issue. He
died vp about 1743.
- Bibi Rajindar Kaur, born 1739, married Chaudhuri
Tilok Chand of Bhagwara, and had issue, one
daughter. She died 1791.
- Bibi (name unknown) Kaur,
married and had issue.
- Jodh Singh, married and had issue.
- Sahib Singh, living 1820.
- Rajkumar Sardul Singh, married (a), Rani Hukman
Kaur, daughter of the Sardar of Bhikhi, married (by
chaddar dálna) (b), Mai Deso, widow of his cousin
Jodh Singh, and had issue. He died 1753.
- Sardar Himmat Singh (by Mai Deso), born 173x,
married and had issue. He died 1774.
- Bibiji Chand Kaur, married, 1772, Sardar
Dasaundha Singh Ghaiba, son and heir of Sardar
Tara Singh Ghaiba of Rahon (see Dallewalia
- Raja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Amar Singh (by Rani
Hukman Kaur) (qv)
- Kanwar Lal Singh, married Bibi Bhagan Kaur, but
died vpsp in 1748.
- Bibi Pardhan Kaur, married Sardar Sham Singh of
Ram Das Jhande, and had issue.
Maharaja AMAR SINGH, 2nd Maharaja of Patiala
1765/1781, born 6th June 1748, Raja-i-Rajgan
[cr.1767], married (a), Rani Raj Kaur, married (b),
1774, his brothers widow, married (c), Rani Khem Kaur,
died in June 1821, sister of Sardar Ala Singh Bhikhi
(and aunt of a wife of Raja Jaswant Singh of Nabha),
and had issue. He died 5th February 1781.
- Bibi Sahib Kaur (by Rani Raj Kaur), born 1771,
married Sardar Jaimal Singh Kanhaiya, died
1812, and had issue. She died 1799 or 1801.
- Maharani Chand Kaur, married Maharaja
Kharak Singh of Lahore,
and had issue. She died 13th June 1842 and was
cremated the next day.
- Raja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Sahib Singh (by Rani Raj
- Rajkumar Budh Singh
Maharaja SAHIB SINGH, 3rd Maharaja of Patiala
1781/1813, born 18th August 1773, he was granted the
title of Maharaja by Padshah Akbar II of Delhi in
1810, married 1stly, 1787, Rani Ratan Kaur, daughter
of Sardar Ganda Singh Bhangi,
married 2ndly, 1792, Rani Aus Kaur, born 1772,
daughter of Sardar Gurdus Singh Sekhon of Chattah, she
administered the state during the minority of her son,
later retiring to her estate at Sanaur, about 7 kms
south of Patiala, where she spent the last years of
her life dying in 1821, married 3rdly, Rani Partab
Kaur, sister of Sardar Dal Singh, and had issue. He
died 26th March 1813.
- Raja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Karam Singh (by Rani Aus
- Rajkumar Ajit Singh, married June 1829.
- Bibiji Karam Kaur, married Sardar Hari Singh of Kalsia, and had issue.
- Bibiji Prem Kaur, married Sardar Kharak Singh
Sabadia, son of Sardar Karam Singh Nirmala of Shahabad.
Maharaja KARAM SINGH, 4th Maharaja of Patiala
1813/1845, born 12th October 1797 or 16th October 1798
at Patiala, he succeeded to the gadi on 30th June
1813, he helped the British in 1814 in checking Gurkha
incursions into the Punjab hills and secured in return
a large tract in the Himalayan foothills, he had
shrines built in honour of the Gurus at many
historical sites within his state and outside, making
endowments for their maintenance, he was granted the
title of Maharaja in 1840, married (amongst others),
Maharani Karam Kaur, daughter of Sardar Bhanga Singh
of Thanesar, and his wife, Mai Jian, and had issue. He
died 23rd December 1845 at Patiala.
- Maharaja-Dhiraj Rajeshwar Raja-i-Rajgan Maharaja
Narendra Singh Mahendra Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumar Dip Singh, born 1825, died before
November in 1862.
Maharaja NARENDRA SINGH Mahendra Bahadur, 5th
Maharaja of Patiala 1845/1862, born 26th November
1823, married seven wives, including (a), Maharani
Karam Kaur, daughter of Sardar Ghulab Singh of Buria, married (b), a
daughter of Sardar Mihman Singh (and sister of Sardar
Hira Singh), and had issue, one son and three
daughters. He died 13th November 1862.
- Kunwarani Sateha Devi [née Bibi Basant Kaur], born
1845, married Kunwar Kulendra Singh of Dholpur, and had
issue. She died 1888.
- Bibi (name unknown) Kaur, married Sardar
Narain Singh, son of Sardar Dewa Singh of Sialba
misl). She died before 1870.
- Rani Bishan Kaur, born 1849, married 1859, Raja
Jaswant Singh of Bharatpur,
and had issue. She died 17th February 1870.
- HH Maharaja-Dhiraj Rajeshwar Raja-i-Rajgan
Maharaja Mahendra Singh Mahendra Bahadur (qv)
HH Maharaja-Dhiraj Rajeshwar
Maharaja MAHENDRA SINGH Mahendra Bahadur, 6th
Maharaja of Patiala 1862/1876, born 16th September
1852, married 1stly, 5th March 1865, married 2ndly,
married 3rdly, a daughter of Mian Mahtab Singh
Dhaliwal of Dina (a relative of the Raja of Faridkot),
and had issue. He died 18th April 1876.
- Maharajkumar (name unknown) Singh (by 3rd
wife), born 17th October 1867, died young.
- Bibi (name unknown) Kaur, married 1884,
Sardar Jiwan Singh, son of Sardar Sheokarpal Singh
of Shahzadpur, born 1860, C.S.I. [cr.1891].
- HH Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia
Mansur-i-Zaman Amir-ul-Umara Maharaja-Dhiraj
Rajeshwar Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Sir
Rajendra Singh Mahendra Bahadur (by 3rd wife)(qv)
- Raja Sahib Sir Ranbir Singh K.C.S.I., born 1873,
he was made a K.C.S.I. in January 1903; he was
granted the title of Raja in 1915; married 1889, a
daughter of Sardar Lahna Singh of Karamgarh in
Patiala, and had issue. He died 18th January 1916 (#3).
- Rani Yadvhendra Kaur, married Maharaj Ranabur
Kishor Deb Burman of Tripura.
- Bibi (name unknown) Kaur [?Basanti Devi],
married Raja Jagannath Singh, Jagirdar of Daulatpur.
Amir-ul-Umara, Maharaja-Dhiraj Rajeshwar, Sri
Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharaja Sir RAJENDRA SINGH
Mahendra Bahadur, 7th Maharaja of Patiala
1876/1900, born 25th May 1872, G.C.S.I., married (a),
in November 1888, HH Maharani Bathtawar Kaur, daughter
of Sardar Kishan Singh, married (b), 13th April 1893,
Maharani Harnam Kaur [née Florence Gertrude Bryan],
christened 20th December 1873, she died about 1895,
daughter of Charles and Minnie Bryan, married (c),
Rani Saheba Kokela, died after 1928, and had issue. He
died 8th November 1900.
- Maj.Gen. HH Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia
Mansur-i-Zaman Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj
Rajeshwar Sir Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan Bhupendra Singh
Mahendra Bahadur (by Maharani Bathtawar Kaur) (qv)
- Raja Ram Narain Singh, married Rani Rajbans Kaur
from Kot Fateh (sister Rani Taptej Kaur, wife of
Raja Birender Singh of Dholpur),
and had issue.
- Colonel Rao Raja Shri Birendra Singh Sahib, born
1898, educated at Aitchison Chiefs' College, Lahore;
served in the Afghan War 1919, married 1stly, Rao
Rani Joginder Kaur, she had issue, one daughter,
married 2ndly, Rani Indra Kumari Devi, daughter of
Rai Tejpal Singh of Kuchesar, and had issue, six
daughters and one son in total.
- Rajkumari Sri Naresh Inder Kumari [aka Mutki]
(by Rao Rani Joginder Kaur), born on 6th January
1923, married Sardar Hardev Singh Chhina, Chief
Secretary of the Punjab in 1976, and had issue,
one son and four daughters. She died in 1988 in
- Paramdev Singh Chhina, born in March 1953,
he married and has issue, one son and one
- V. Chhina ♂, born 1974.
- N. Chhina ♀, born 1977.
- Guninder Chhina, born in May 1944, she
married and has issue, one son and one
- J. Mumick ♂, born 1975.
- M. Mumick ♀, born 1977.
- Neenu Chhina, born in January 1957, she
married and has issue, two daughters and one
- P. Mansahia ♀, born 1981.
- A. Mansahia ♀, born 1982.
- A. Mansahia ♂, born 1986.
- Priveen Chhina, born in February 1947, she
married and has issue, two sons and one
- J. Bath ♂, born 1968.
- M. Bath ♀, born 1971.
- K. Bath ♂, born 1975.
- Jatinder Chhina, born in August 1950, she
married and has issue, two sons.
- G. Cheema ♂, born 1976.
- P. Cheema ♂, born 1978.
- Raja Harendra Singh Sahib, multinational
executive, wildlife conservationist,
agriculturist, President Rotarian, member of the
Masonic Lodge, married Rani Sarojdevi Harendra
Singh, and has issue. (Dehradun, India)
- Rajkumari Dharmesh Nandini Patel (Patiala
and Dehradun, India)
- Rajkumar Janak Singh, works for
DaimlerChrysler AG. (Montreal, Canada)
- Rajkumari Sri Yatendra Kumari [Princess Rosy]
(by Rani Indra Kumari Devi), she died unmarried.
- Rajkumari Sri Virangna Kumari [Princess Daisy]
(by Rani Indra Kumari Devi), married to Sardar
Harbans Singh Sekhon of Amritsar, and had issue,
one son. She died in December 2013.
- Rajkumari Sri (name unknown)
Kumari [Princess Poesy] (by Rani Indra Kumari
- Rajkumari Sri (name unknown)
Kumari [Princess Elsie] (by Rani Indra Kumari
- Rajkumari Sri (name unknown)
Kumari [Princess Poshia] (Rani Indra Kumari Devi),
married Shamsher Sidhu, died 2012, and has issue,
one son and one daughter.
- Ravisher Sidhu, married and has issue.
- Amrita Sidhu, she married and has issue, one
- Maharajkumar (name unknown) Singh (by
Maharani Harnam Kaur), born in August 1893, died in
Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj Rajeshwar Sir Sri
Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharaja BHUPENDRA SINGH Mahendra
Bahadur, 8th Maharaja of Patiala 1900/1938,
born 12th October 1891 at Patiala (#1),
educated at the Aitchison College in Lahore, invested
with full ruling powers on 3rd November 1910, G.C.S.I.
[cr.1921], G.C.I.E. [cr.1911], G.C.V.O. [cr.1922],
G.B.E. (Mil) [cr.1918], Member of Standing Committee
of Indian Princes' Chamber (ten times elected
Chancellor of the Chamber of Princes during the 1920's
and 1930's), Commander-in-Chief of the Patiala Forces,
Honourary Lieutenant-Colonel of the Ist Ludhiana
Sikhs, Hon. Col. 15th Ludhiana Sikhs, Hon. Maj.-Gen.
in British Army, Fellow of the Royal Geographical,
Zoological and Horticultural Societies, Member of the
Royal Colonial Institute, Member of Royal Asiatic
Society, appointed Hon. ADC to HM 1922, served in WWI
1914/18 receiving Grand Cordon of the Order of the
Nile, and of Order of Leopold of Belgium, Grand Cross
of of Orders of Crown of Italy, Crown of Roumania, and
St Saviour of Greece, and of Legion of Honour, served
in the Afghan War 1919, represented India at League of
Nations Assembly 1925, captained the Indian cricket
team on its 1911 tour of England, president of the
All-India Gundog League and vice-president of the
Indian Kennel Association, chancellor and chief patron
of the Sikhs' premier educational institution - the
Khalsa College at Amritsar, he married 1908, HH
Maharani Bakhtavar Kaur, daughter of Sardar Gurnam
Singh of Sangrur, Jind, (mother of seven children,
five of whom died young), and had further issue, 88
children in all, only 53 of whom survived. He died at
Patiala, from heart failure, on 22nd March 1938.
- Raja Brajendra Singh (Prince Johnny), born 8th
August 1912, married and had issue, two daughters.
He died in 1958.
- Rajkumari Durgeshnandini Devi, married Raja Shri
Brajendra Chandra Deo Bajradhar Narendra Mahapatra
of Ranpur in
Orissa, and had issue, three sons and one
- Rajkumari Sudha Devi, married (div.), (as his
first wife), Raja Birendra Shekhar Deo, Raja Saheb
- Rajkumari Usha Rani Kaur, married Raja Ratan
Gopal Saincher, grandson of H.E.H Maharaja Sir
Kishen Pershad Bahadur, Prime Minister of
Hyderabad, and had issue (see Kishen Prasad
- Maharajkumari Hemant Kumari (Princess Pretty),
born 21st August 1912.
- Lt.Gen. HH Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia
Mansur-i-Zaman Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj
Rajeshwar Sir Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharajadhiraja
Sir Yadavendra Singhji Mahendra Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumari Dinesh Kumari (Princess Brownie),
born 29th May 1913, married 1931 in Patiala, to a
Kunwar Sahib of Bijawar State, and had issue, two
daughters and a son. She died in September 2005.
- Maharajkumari Shishank Kumari (Princess Betty),
born 17th June 1914, married into the Dalippur Royal
- Maharajkumari Kailash Kaur (Princess Pip) [HH
Maharani Kailash Kumari Devi of Patna], born 22nd
May 1917, married 1932, HH Maharajah Sir Rajendra
Narayan Singh Deo of Patna.
- Maharajkumari Ramesh Kumari (Princess Peggy), born
29th November 1917, married 18th February 1942 at
Patiala, Raj Kumar Suresh Prakash Singh, son of the
Raja Sahib of Tikra.
- Raja Bhalendra Singh (Prince
Peter), born 19th August 1919 in Patiala (#2), educated at the
Aitchison College, Lahore, and at Cambridge
University, became a life member of the
International Olympic Committee in 1947, President
of the Patiala Union Olympic Association till 1957,
Vice-President of the Punjab Olympic Association
till 1960, President of the Amateur Athletics
Federation of India, President of the Indian Olympic
Association 1959/1975 and 1980/1984, honoured with
the Padma Bhushan Award in recognition of his
services to sports, as well as the International
Distinguished Service Award in 1982 (presented by
the US Sports Academy), chief architect in the
formation of the Olympic Council of Asia, elected to
the Punjab Legistature Assembly in 1958, he worked
in the home and education departments of PEPSU, also
served as Director of the State Bank of Patiala,
married 1stly, Rani Pushplata Kumari, born 5th
October 1925 in Dehradun, died 6th September 1953,
daughter of Raja Charat Shamsher Jung Singh, and his
wife, Rani Mohini Devi, married 2ndly, Rani
Harminder Kaur, born 1932, died 1st August 2000, and
had issue. He died 16th April 1992 at New Delhi (#1).
- Raja Randhir Singh (by Rani Pushpa Kumari), born
18th October 1945, Secretary General of the Indian
Olympic Association and the Olympic Council of
Asia, married 1stly, 25th May 1971, Rani Uma
Kumari, daughter of Kanwar Pratap Singh of Sirmur, and his
wife, Kanwarani Usha Kumari, married 2ndly, Rani
Vinita (née Khanna), and has issue.
- Rajkumari Rajeshwari Kumari, married 17th
November 2013 near Chattarpur, Shri Mehtab
Singh, son of Shri Sultan Singh, and his wife,
- Rajkumari Padmesh Kumari (by Rani Harminder
Kaur), born 2nd September 1953, married, Kanwar
Ajay Bahadur Singh of Sirmur. She
died 30th May 2003 at Simla.
- Rajkumari Nikki Kumari (by Rani Harminder Kaur),
married 1981 (div.), Navin Ansal, born 1957,
(married 2ndly, Raseel Gujral), educated at
Lawrence School in Sanawar, Himachal Pradesh and
Hindu College in Delhi, graduating in History;
- Raja Bhartendra Singh (Prince Billy), born 30th
- Maharajkumari Yadhunandan Kumari (Princess Honey)
[HH Rani (now Rajmata) Yadhunandan Kumari of
Nalagarh], born 20th November 1920, married HH Raja
Surendra Singh of Nalagarh,
and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Yadhuvansh Kumari (Princess Alice),
born 9th September 1922.
- Raja Padamendra Singh (Prince Michael), born 11th
- Raja Ganendra Singh (Prince Richard), born 12th
February 1926. Unmarried.
- Raja Raghavendra Singh (Prince David), born 18th
July 1926, married and had issue, one daughter. He
died 1985 in Patiala.
- Maharjkumari Surindra Kumari (Princess Birdie),
born 14th November 1926.
- Raja Hitendra Singh (Prince Robert), born 21st
September 1927, married and had issue, one son.
- Raja Mrigendra Singh (Prince
William) (by Maharani Chandra Bhaga Devi), 17th son,
born 21st July 1928, artist and scholar, graduate of
Yale University, Connecticut, U.S.A. (Doctorate in
Education), married 3rd August 1954, Rani Harinder
Kaur, born 27th May 1934, daughter of Sardar Gurnam
Singh Sekhon, and his wife, Sardarni Hardyal Kaur
Sekhon, and had issue, three daughters and one son.
He died on 24th March 2014. (New York,
- Rajkumari Gianesh Kumari, married Thakur Sarva
Daman Singh, M.D., and has issue, one son and one
- Kunwar Arush Pratap Singh, born in New
- Kunveri Anjani Kumari Singh, born in
New York, USA.
- Rajkumar Karmendra Singh Sidhu, married 1993
(div.), and has issue, three daughters.
- Kunveri Kirnendra Kaur Sidhu, born in New
- Kunveri Sharnendra Kaur Sidhu, born in New
- Kunveri Hemendra Kaur Sidhu, born in New York,
- Rajkumari Madhavendra Kumari Chahal, married
1995 (div.), and has issue, one son.
- Kunwar Darshbir Singh Chahal, born in
New Jersey, USA.
- Rajkumari Amarendra Kumari Sidhu, Unmarried.
- Raja Kirnendra Singh (Prince Dickie), born 29th
November 1928, married and had issue.
- Rajkumar Pat Singh Sidhu, deceased.
- Maharajkumari Shailendra Kumari (Princess Kuku)
[Rani Shailendra Kumari of Jodhpur], born 22nd June
1929, married 1951, the Late Maharaj Sri Himmat
Singh of Jodhpur,
and has issue, two sons.
- Maharaja Yashwant Singh, born 14th
February 1954. Unmarried.
- Rajkumar Rajinder Singh, born 21st June
1955, married Durgesh Nandani, and has issue,
- Kunveri Padmaja Kumari
- Kunveri Rudhrani Kumari
- Raja Gianinder Singh (Prince George) (by Rani
Maina Devi), born 25th March 1930, married in Moti
Bagh Palace, Patiala, Rani Jaspal Kaur, daughter of
Sardar Mehar Singh Bihla, and has issue, one son and
- Rajkumari Tripurantika Kumari B.Com., born 12th
June 1969 in Patiala, married 6th June 1989 in
Patiala, Shri Haninder Dang, and has issue, one
- Ms. Rubaina Kumari, born 4th November
1992 in U.S.A.
- Kunwar Gajayinder Singh, born 3rd October 1974,
he is presently involved with Stud Farming. (Delhi,
- Raja Kumadendra Singh (Prince Johnny), born 18th
December 1930. Deceased.
- Maharajkumari Kumudesh Kumari (Princess Ruby),
born 5th January 1931, married Shri Romesh Bhandari,
former Governor of Uttar Pradesh 1996/-, born 29th
March 1928 in Lahore, son of Sri Amar Nath Bhandari,
Chief Justice of the Punjab High Court, and has
issue, one son and one daughter, both of whom are
- Raja Mohanendra Singh (Prince Jimmy), born 30th
December 1931. Unmarried.
- Raja Kamalendra Singh (Prince Nevil), born 17th
February 1932 at Patiala. Unmarried.
- Raja Kamendra Singh (Prince Ralph), born 9th May
1932, married Rani Hermala, and had issue, one son.
He died in an aircrash, test flying in 1995.
- Rajkumar Gaganendra Singh
- Maharajkumari Devindra KUmari, born 26th June
1932, married Shri Kishan Lohan.
- Raja Kharhagendra Singh (Prince Stanley), born
15th August 1932, entered East Germany and his
present whereabouts is unknown. Unmarried.
- Raja Joetendra Singh (Prince Bobby), born 11th
September 1932. Unmarried.
- Raja Khagendra Singh (Prince Edward), born 12th
- Maharajkumari Umesh Kumari (Princess Diamond),
born 14th November 1932, married 1951, Colonel
Sardar Kanwar Bharat Singh, elder brother of Kanwar
Natwar Singh (see below), and has issue, a son and a
- Maharajkumari Upendra Kumari (Princess Edna), born
15th November 1932.
- Raja Ramendra Singh (Prince Roy), born 25th
November 1932 at Patiala, married Rani Karen
Elizabeth Gracie, and had issue. He died September
1989 as a result of a bicycle accident.
- Kunwar Jason Rajinder Sidhu, born 17th August
1974 in Montreal, Quebec, married 11th August 2007
in Montreal, Kunwarani Angie Catherine Adelin, and
has issue, two daughters. (Canada)
- Kumari Cierra Veniece Sidhu, born 11th
- Kumari Ireland Ruthie-Anna Sidhu, born 6th
- Maharajkumari Gangesh Kumari (Princess Elsie),
born 8th January 1933, married Shri Mohinder Singh.
- Maharajkumari Bhuvnesh Kumari (Princess Leena),
born 22nd January 1933, unmarried.
- Maharajkumari Kamlesh Kumari (Princess Pam), born
2nd April 1933, married Late Sardar Jasbir Singh
M.A., B.Com., an Industrialist, born 1st November
son of Sardar Makhan Singh (a leading transport
magnate); educated at Government High School,
Saharanpur and at D.A.V. College, Dehra Dun, he
entered the family business in 1947 and eventually
organized the business on modern lines; he also had
constructed the Connaught Hotel, a modern building
in Dehra Dun; Managing Director, Ex-Soldiers' Motor
Transport Co., Dehra Dun, and had issue, one
daughter. (Baz Building, Chakrata Road,
Dehra Dun, Himachal Pradesh, India)
- Raja Divindra Singh (Prince Brian), born 14th July
1933, married a Sikh lady from the noble family of
Shahzadpur Estate in Haryana, and has issue, a son
and a daughter.
- Maharajkumari Jayanti Kumari (Princess Maureen),
born 28th September 1933, married and has issue,
- Raja Hemendra Singh (Prince Mervin), born 6th
December 1933, he was educated at the Colonel Brown
Cambridge School in Dehradun and at St. Joseph's
College, Darjeeling and at Calcutta University,
India; he married 1969, Rani Franciane, a French
lady, and has issue, two daughters. (London,
- Rajkumari Annabelle Sidhu, born 1st September
1972, educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge
University, U.K.; married Jeremy Berenzweig, and
has issue, a son and a daughter. (London,
- Theo Berenzweig
- Anoushka Mia Berenzweig
- Rajkumari Stephanie Sidhu, born 9th December
1973, educated at Manchester University, U.K.;
married M. Rémi Brun, and has issue, three
children. (Paris, France)
- Raja Amarendra Singh (Prince Geoffrey), born 8th
- Raja Himindra Singh (Prince Maurice), born 8th
August 1934, died unmarried 1982 in Calcutta.
- Raja Hirendra Singh (Prince Malcolm), born 4th
July 1935, married Veronica.
- Maharajkumari Girendra Kumari (Princess Jean),
born 9th September 1935, married Col. Sukhminder
Singh, and had issue.
- Maharajkumari Bhartendra Kumari, born 4th June
1936, married and has issue, two daughters and one
- Maharajkumari Padmendra Kumari (Princess Angela),
born 23rd July 1936.
- Raja Devendra Singh (Prince Cecil), born 29th
September 1936, Member of the Rajya Sabha [3.4.1976
- [2.4.1982] and [3.4.1982] - [2.4.1988]; Joint
Secretary, A.I.C.C.; married Rani Amarjit Kaur, F.A.
(Intermediate Arts), born 13th September 1939,
daughter of Col. Raghbir Singh, and has had issue,
one daughter and two sons.
- Rajkumari Gitanjali Kumari, born 2nd November
1966, married and has issue, one son.
- Rajkumar Omindra Singh, 19th November 1968,
- Rajkumar Pavanindra Singh, born 1st July 1978,
married (div'd.). He died sp on 12th
- Raja Yatendra Singh (Prince Denzil), born 26th
June 1932, died unmarried.
- Raja Nagendra Singh (Prince Eric), born 1st July
- Raja Harindra Singh (Prince Leslie), born 18th
- Raja Umindra Singh (Prince Freddy), born 7th June
1937, died unmarried in Calcutta.
- Maharajkumari Nagender Kumari (Princess Greeta),
born 4th November 1937, married Vipin Khanna, and
- Arvind Khanna, born 1967, MLA from
Sangrur, Punjab; educated at Milfield School,
U.K. and at Pepperdien University, California
(B.B.M 1989), general secretary of the district
unit of the youth wing of the Shiromani Akali
Dal in 1997, Director of Clan Morgan Holdings
Private Limited, President and Managing Director
of TSL Technologies Pvt Ltd, President of the
Professional Golfers’ Association of India and
President of the Fencing Association of India.
- Maharajkumari Gaureesh Kumari (Princess Roseland),
born 10th December 1937, married and had issue, two
sons (all deceased).
- Maharajkumari Narpindra Kumari (Princess Renee),
born 20th July 1938.
- Maharajkumari Urvishi Kumari (Princess Wendy),
born 21st September 1938, married Shri Ravi Khanna,
brother of Shri Vipin Khanna, and has issue.
Lt.-Gen. HH HH
Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj Rajeshwar Sir Sri
Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharajadhiraja Sir YADAVENDRA
SINGHJI Mahendra Bahadur, 9th Maharaja of
Patiala 1938/1974, born 7th January 1913, educated at
Aitchison College at Lahore, spent some time at the
Punjab Police School, Phillaur, in 1931, he was made
Superintendent of Police for Patiala district,
graduating two years later to the rank of
Inspector-General. In 1933, he was appointed the
Chancellor of Khalsa College, Amritsar, and he held
this position for a number of years. He donned Indian
colours in 1934 when he was selected to play against
England, he was also north Indian tennis champion, and
led the Patiala polo team. President of Indian Olympic
Association 1938/1960, appointed an aide-de-camp to
the British King and pro-chancellor of the Chamber of
Princes in March 1946. Rajpramukh of PEPSU, which in
November 1956, in accordance with the recommendations
of the States Reorganization Commission, was merged
with East Punjab. Member of the Indian delegation to
the 11th session of the United Nations General
Assembly. In 1958, he represented India in Paris at
the 10th annual conference of UNESCO, and in 1959,
1961, 1962, 1963, 1967 and 1969 he led the Indian team
at meetings of the UN Food and Agricultural
Organization (FAO). In 1960, the government made him
chairman of the newly created Indian Council of
Sports, a body designed to oversee the whole sporting
sphere and advise on the allocation of public money to
sports teams and facilities. In 1965, he was appointed
to the prestigious post of Indian Ambassador in Rome,
where he served until 1967. He presided over the Sikh
Eductional Conference annual sessions held at Patiala
(1949), Delhi (1952) and Indore (1961). He was also
the chairman of the Punjabi University Commission
which preceded the establishment in 1962 of Punjabi
University at Patiala. He was chosen president of the
Guru Gobind Singh Foundation as well as of the Guru
Nanak Foundation, the former set up to honour the
tercentenary of the birth of Guru Gobind Singh (1967)
and the latter the quincentenary of the birth of Guru
Nanak (1969). In 1970 he took on a new role as
chairman of the Indian Horticulture Development
Council and the following year took up his second and
last permanent diplomatic posting at the Hague in the
Netherlands, married 1stly, 1933, HH Maharani Hem
Prabha Devi, second daughter of Raja Aditya Pratap
Singh Deo of Seraikella,
born in November 1913, died 30th July 2014 in
Bhubaneswar, married 2ndly, 1938, HH Maharani Mahindar
Kaur, born 1922, daughter of Sardar Harchand Singh
Jaijee, Member of the Rajya Sabha [3.4.1964] -
[24.2.1967] and [10.4.1978] - [9.4.1984], Member of
the Lok Sabha 1967/1971; General Secretary, Congress
(O), 1974/1977, and had issue. On the 17th June 1974,
he suffered a severe heart attack and died. His body
was flown to India and was cremated with full state
honours on 21st June at Patiala in the family
crematorium, the Shahi Samadhan.
- Capt. HH HH Farzand-i-Khas-i-Daulat-i-Inglishia
Mansur-i-Zaman Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj
Rajeshwar Sir Sri Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharajadhiraj
Shri Amarinder Singhji Mahendra Bahadur (qv)
- Maharajkumar Malwinder Singh, born 1944, married
Maharajkumari Harpriya Kaur.
- Maharajkumari Heminder Kaur, born 1st June 1939,
married 21st August 1967, Kanwar Natwar Singh, born
16th May 1931 in Bharatpur, educated at St.
Stephen's College, University of Delhi, Delhi
(Arts), at Cambridge University (Corpus Christi),
England and at Peking University, China; Member of
the Indian Foreign Service (IFS) 1953/1984, serving
in Beijing, China 1956/1958, and New York 1961/1966.
In 1966, he was posted to the Prime Minister's
Secretariat under Mrs Indira Gandhi and served in
various capacities to 1984. He was elected to the
eighth Lok Sabha from Bharatpur constituency in
Rajasthan in 1984, served as Minister of State
(Steel, Coal and Mines), and Minister of Agriculture
1985, Minister of State for External Affairs
1986/1989, re-elected to the twelfth Lok Sabha in
1998 from Bharatpur, elected to the Rajya Sabha from
Rajasthan in 2002, appointed to the cabinet as
Minister for External Affairs, being removed from
the post on 7th November 2005 (though retaining a
cabinet role as minister without portfolio), and
eventually resigning from the cabinet on 6th
December 2005, author of "E.M.Forster : A Tribute",
NY 1964; "The Legacy of Nehru", NY 1965; "Tales from
Modern India", NY 1966; "Stories from India", UK
1971; "Maharaja Suraj Mal (1707-63)", UK 1981;
"Curtain Raisers", Delhi 1984; "Profiles &
Letters", Delhi 1997; "The Magnificent Maharaja
Bhupinder Singh of Patiala", Delhi 1997; "Heart to
Heart", Delhi 2003; and has issue.
- Sh. Jagat Singh B.B.A, born 28th August
1968 in Delhi, M.L.A. from Rajasthan from the
Congress Party; All India Youth Congress General
Secretary; married 1stly, 25th October 1993,
Natasha Masiri, born 1971, died 17th March 2002
in New Delhi, married 2ndly, 2008 at the Royal
Palace in Chail, Somaya Sehgal,
daughter of Suman Sehgal, and has issue, two sons
(by first marriage).
- Ritu Singh, born 1975, fashion
designer, died unmarried 9th May 2002, cremated
10th May at the Lodhi Road Crematorium in New
- Maharajkumari Roopinder Kaur, born 1940, married
Major K. S. Dhillon of the Hodsons Horse, and has
issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kanwar Harshdip Singh, married Kanwarani
- Rajkumari Namrata Kaur, married Shri Amit
Capt. HH HH
Amir-ul-Umra Maharaja Dhiraj Rajeshwar Sir Sri
Maharaja-i-Rajgan Maharajadhiraj Shri AMARINDER
SINGHJI Mahendra Bahadur, 10th Maharaja of
Patiala (see above)