|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Originally ruled by the Muslim Rajas of Loran from the end
of the 17th century to 1837 when it came under the rule of
Raja Faiz Talab Khan of Rahuri 1837/1846 when it was
conquered by the Dogra rulers. Loran was the (Hindu)
capital of Poonch till 1542. Poonch was given to Maharaja
Gulab Singh of Jammu and Kashmir's nephew in 1846.
Promoted to a Princely State by the British Athorities in
1901, but it was reduced to a Jagir in 1935/36 by Maharaja
Hari Singhji of Jammu and Kashmir. Rulers and estate
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja
Kalan Bahadur DHIAN SINGH Sahib, 1st Raja of
Poonch 1827/1843, born 22nd August 1796, son of Raja
Kishor Singh of Jammu,
employed in 1812 by his elder brother, Maharaja Gulab
Singh, as a trooper on a monthly salary of sixty
rupees, in 1818 became deorhidar or
chamberlain to the royal household. He took part in
the battle of Naushera in March 1823. He was granted a
large number of jagirs in the hilly country of Jammu,
including that of Poonch in 1827, created Raja in
1822, and Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur on
20th June 1827, and further created Naib-us-Salatnat-i-'Azamat,
Wazir-i-'Azam, Dastur-i-Mu'azzam, Mukhtar-i-Mulk,
he was made a Wazir, principal minister or counsellor
of the Sikh State 1828/1843, married two daughters of
Raja Govind Singh of Siba
State, and had issue. He was assasinated on 15th
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Hira Singh Sahib
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Jawahir Singh
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Moti Singh Sahib
Kalan Bahadur HIRA SINGH Sahib, 2nd Raja of
Poonch 1843/1844, born 1816 at Ramgarh, about 25 km
from Jammu, Prime Minister of the Sikh kingdom of
Lahore from 17th September 1843 to 21st December 1844,
Maharaja Ranjit Singh conferred upon him the title of
Raja of Jasrota in 1834, as well as proclaiming him Farzandi-Khas,
i.e. the favoured son, married a grand-daughter of
Mian Fateh Chand of Rajgir in Kangra. He died sp
on 21st December 1844.
Kalan Bahadur JAWAHIR SINGH Sahib, 3rd Raja
of Poonch 1844/1859 (renounced or deposed), died 1860.
Kalan Bahadur MOTI SINGH Sahib, 4th Raja of
Poonch 1859/1892, married and had issue. He died 1892.
- Mian Raghunath Singh
- Major Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Baldev
Raja Kalan Bahadur BALDEV SINGH Bahadur
K.C.I.E., 5th Raja of Poonch 1892/1918, K.C.I.E. [cr.
1.1.1909], in 1901, the estate was promoted to the
rank of a Princely State, he was granted a Nine Gun
Salute on 1st January 1918; married (a), Rani Amba
Devi, elder daughter of Rana Fateh Singh of Dhami, married (b), Rani
(name unknown), younger daughter of Rana Fateh
Singh of Dhami, and had issue. He died September 1918.
- Lt. Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Sukhdev Singh
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Jagat Dev Singh
- Raja Padam Dev Singh, Dewan of Kashmir in 1927;
married Rani Manek Kunwar of Kunadi in Kota, and has
- Raja Rajendra Dev Singh married Kunwarani Asha
Kumari of Palaitha in
Kotah, and has issue.
- Kunwar Sahdev Singh, married Kunwarani Namrata
Kumari, elder daughter of Maharaj Amarendra
Singhji of Salumber.
- Kunwar Somyadev Singh, married Kunwarani
Girdhar Kumari, younger daughter of Maharaj
Amarendra Singhji of Salumber.
- Capt. Raja Bhupendra Dev Singh
- Kunwarani Siddheshwari Kumari, married June
1952, Kanwar Romesh Singh of Sirmur, and has
- Kunwarani Rajeshwari Kumari, married to Thakur
Pushpendra Singh of Ghanerao,
and has issue.
- Kunwarani Bhuvaneshwari Kumari, died young.
- Kunwarani Kamleshwari Kumari, married Thakur
Rattan Singh of Umaidnagar.
- Raja Chattar Dev Singh, married a princess of
Charat in Jammu, and has issue.
- Kunwar Hitendra Dev Singh, married Kunwarani
Ravi Prabha, daughter of Maharaj Pradyumna Singh
and his wife, Rani Indira Kumari, and has issue.
- Kunwarani Namrata Chand Sahiba, married Kunwar
Ranvijay Chand of Chenani,
and has issue, two sons.
- Kunwar Surendra Dev Singh, married Kunwarani
Anjali Kumari of Kalahandi.
- Thakurani Sushila Kumari, married Thakur
Birendra Singh of Pokhran.
- Kunwarani Guddu Rani
Raja Kalan Bahadur SUKHDEV SINGH, 6th Raja of
Poonch 1918/1927, born October 1901, succeeded 10th
September 1918; married a Rani of Utelia. He died sp
Kalan Bahadur JAGAT DEV SINGH, 7th Raja of
Poonch 1927/1940, born 1903, Dewan of Kashmir
1926/1927, during his reign the Princely State was
reduced to the status of a jagir in 1936; married Rani
Padmawati Bhadwal of Trilokpur in Himachal Pradesh,
and had issue. He died 1940 in Mussoorie.
- Raja Shiv Ratan Dev Singh (qv)
- Thakurani Snehlata Kumari [Nikkeji], married
Thakur Onkar Singh of Khimsar,
and has issue.
- Rani Lalita Kumari, married Rana Vijay Singh of Kunihar, and had
Kalan Bahadur SHIV RATAN DEV SINGH, 8th Raja
of Poonch 1940/-, born April 1925, educated at
Aitchison Chiefs' College, Lahore, married 1950, Rani
Nalini Rajya Lakshmi Devi, daughter of HM King
Tribhuvan of Nepal,
and had issue.
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Raman Dev Singh
- Raja Ratish Dev Singh, married Rani Renu.
- HH Maharani Hemlata Rajya, married 19th February
1973, HH Raj Rajeshwar Saramad-i-Rajha-i-Hindustan
Maharajadhiraja Maharaja Shri Gaj Singhji II Sahib
Bahadur of Jodhpur,
and has issue.
- HH Maharani Urmila Kumari, elected Mayor of
Charkhari (Independent), thereby controlling the
entire Charkhari Municipal Area, married 27th April
1978 in New Delhi, HH Maharajadhiraj
Sipahdar-ul-Mulk Jayant Singh Ju Deo, Maharaja of Charkhari, and has
- Rani Rajni Kumari, married in Nepal.
Kalan Bahadur RAMAN DEV SINGH, 9th Raja of
Poonch (see above)