|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
ruled by the Muslim Rajas of Loran from the end of the
17th century to
1837 when it came under the rule of Raja Faiz Talab Khan
when it was conquered by the Dogra rulers. Loran was the
of Poonch till 1542. Poonch was given to Maharaja Gulab
Singh of Jammu
and Kashmir's nephew in 1846. Promoted to a Princely State
Athorities in 1901, but it was reduced to a Jagir in
Singhji of Jammu and Kashmir. Rulers and estate holders
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja
Bahadur DHIAN SINGH Sahib, 1st
Raja of Poonch 1827/1843, born 22nd August 1796, son
of Raja Kishor
Singh of Jammu,
in 1812 by his elder brother, Maharaja Gulab Singh, as
a trooper on a
of sixty rupees, in 1818 became deorhidar or
chamberlain to the
royal household. He took part in the battle of
Naushera in March 1823.
He was granted a large number of jagirs in the hilly
country of Jammu,
including that of Poonch
in 1827, created
Raja in 1822, and Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur
on 20th June
further created Naib-us-Salatnat-i-'Azamat, Khairkhwah-i-Samimi-i-Daulat-i-Sirkar-i-Kubra,
Wazir-i-'Azam, Dastur-i-Mu'azzam, Mukhtar-i-Mulk,
he was made a Wazir, principal minister or counsellor
of the Sikh State
married two daughters of Raja Govind Singh of Siba
State, and had issue. He was assasinated on 15th
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Hira Singh Sahib
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Jawahir Singh
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Moti Singh Sahib
Bahadur HIRA SINGH Sahib, 2nd Raja
of Poonch 1843/1844, born 1816 at Ramgarh, about 25
km from Jammu, Prime Minister
of the Sikh kingdom of Lahore from 17th September 1843
to 21st December
1844, Maharaja Ranjit Singh conferred upon him the
title of Raja of
Jasrota in 1834, as well as proclaiming him Farzandi-Khas,
i.e. the favoured son, married a grand-daughter of
Mian Fateh Chand
of Rajgir in Kangra.
He died sp
on 21st December 1844.
Bahadur JAWAHIR SINGH Sahib, 3rd
Raja of Poonch 1844/1859 (renounced or deposed), died
Bahadur MOTI SINGH Sahib, 4th Raja
of Poonch 1859/1892, married and had issue. He died
- Mian Raghunath Singh
- Major Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Baldev
Kalan Bahadur BALDEV SINGH Bahadur
K.C.I.E., 5th Raja of Poonch 1892/1918, K.C.I.E. [cr.
1901, the estate was promoted to the rank of a
Princely State, he was
granted a Nine Gun Salute on 1st January 1918; married
Rani Amba Devi, elder daughter of Rana Fateh Singh of
Dhami, married (b), Rani
younger daughter of Rana Fateh Singh of Dhami, and
had issue. He
died September 1918.
- Lt. Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Sukhdev Singh
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Jagat Dev Singh
- Raja Padam Dev Singh, Dewan of Kashmir in 1927;
Rani Manek Kunwar of Kunadi
in Kota, and
- Raja Rajendra Dev Singh married Kunwarani Asha
Kumari of Palaitha in
Kotah, and has issue.
- Kunwar Sahdev Singh, married Kunwarani Namrata
Kumari, elder daughter of Maharaj Amarendra
Singhji of Salumber.
- Kunwar Somyadev Singh, married Kunwarani
Kumari, younger daughter of Maharaj Amarendra
Singhji of Salumber.
- Capt. Raja Bhupendra Dev Singh
- Kunwarani Siddheshwari Kumari, married June
Kanwar Romesh Singh
of Sirmur, and has
- Kunwarani Rajeshwari Kumari, married to Thakur
Pushpendra Singh of Ghanerao,
- Kunwarani Bhuvaneshwari Kumari, died young.
- Kunwarani Kamleshwari Kumari, married Thakur
Singh of Umaidnagar.
- Raja Chattar Dev Singh, married a princess of
Jammu, and has
- Kunwar Hitendra Dev Singh, married Kunwarani
Prabha, daughter of Maharaj Pradyumna Singh of Dungarpur, and
his wife, Rani Indira
and has issue.
- Kunwarani Namrata
Chand Sahiba, married Kunwar Ranvijay Chand of Chenani, and has
issue, two sons.
- Kunwar Surendra Dev Singh, married Kunwarani
Kumari of Kalahandi.
- Thakurani Sushila Kumari, married Thakur
- Kunwarani Guddu Rani
Kalan Bahadur SUKHDEV SINGH, 6th
Raja of Poonch 1918/1927, born October 1901,
succeeded 10th September 1918; married a Rani of
He died sp October 1927.
Bahadur JAGAT DEV SINGH, 7th Raja
of Poonch 1927/1940, born 1903, Dewan of Kashmir
1926/1927, during his
reign the Princely State was reduced to the status of
a jagir in 1936;
in Himachal Pradesh, and had issue. He died 1940 in
- Raja Shiv Ratan Dev Singh (qv)
- Thakurani Snehlata Kumari [Nikkeji], married
Singh of Khimsar,
and has issue.
- Rani Lalita Kumari, married Rana Vijay Singh of Kunihar,
and had issue.
Bahadur SHIV RATAN DEV SINGH, 8th
Raja of Poonch 1940/-, born April 1925, educated
Chiefs' College, Lahore, married 1950, Rani Nalini
Rajya Lakshmi Devi,
daughter of HM King Tribhuvan of Nepal,
and had issue.
- Raja-i-Rajgan Raja Kalan Bahadur Raman Dev Singh
- Raja Ratish Dev Singh, married Rani Renu.
- HH Maharani Hemlata Rajya, married 19th February
Saramad-i-Rajha-i-Hindustan Maharajadhiraja Maharaja
Shri Gaj Singhji
Sahib Bahadur of Jodhpur,
- HH Maharani Urmila Kumari, elected Mayor of
controlling the entire Charkhari Municipal Area,
married 27th April
in New Delhi, HH Maharajadhiraj Sipahdar-ul-Mulk
Jayant Singh Ju Deo,
of Charkhari, and
- Rani Rajni Kumari, married in Nepal.
Bahadur RAMAN DEV SINGH, 9th Raja of Poonch