|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The predecessor state of Sadri later Kanthal and still
later Deolia was founded in 1433 by Rawat Khemkaran Singh,
second son of Maharana Mokal Singh of Mewar. The rulers were...
- Rawat KHEMKARAN
SINGH, Rawat of Sagri and Kanthal 1433/1473,
he was granted the Jagir of Sagri, later establishing
his own Kingdom of Kanthal, married four wives, and
had issue, four sons and one daughter. He died at the
battle of Dadmipur circa 1473.
- Kunwar Ranvir Singh
- Rawat Suraj Mal (qv)
- Kunwar Shekhgar Singh
- Kunwar Raisal Singh
- Baisa Pep Kunwari
- Rani Chander Kanwar [?daughter of Rawat Bar Singh
of Deolia-Pratapgarh?], married Rao Dudaji, Rao
Saheb of Merta, and had issue (see Jodhpur).
Rawat SURAJ MAL,
Rawat of Kanthal 1473/1530, he took possession of the
Sadri and Dhariawad districts; married 1stly, Rani
Shrantgar Kunwari, married 2ndly, Rani Takht Kunwari,
married 3rdly, Rani Jadav Kunwari, and had issue. Died
- Rawat Bagh Singh (by Shrantgar Kunwari) (qv)
- Kunwar Randhir Singh (by Shrantgar Kunwari)
- Kunwar Sahasmal Singh (by Takht Kunwari), in 1535
he aettled at Nimbahera; he was granted the Jagir of
and had issue, the Shahawat clan.
- Kunwar Kamal Singh, in 1571 he was granted a
jagir in Panthal He died 18th June 1576 at
- Kunwar Ranmal Singh (by Takht Kunwari), he was
granted the Jagir of Kalyanpura, married and had
issue, the Ranmalot clan. He died 1541.
- Thakur Sultan Singh of Kalyanpura.
- Kunwar Kaala Singh (by Jadav Kunwari)
- Kunwar Rajghar Singh (by Jadav Kunwari)
- Kunwar Jaagoji Singh (by Jadav Kunwari)
Rawat BAGH SINGH,
Rawat of Kanthal 1530/1535, he sacrificed his life for
the safety of Kunwar Udai Singh, son and heir of
Maharana Sanga of Mear when Bahadur Shah of Gujarat
attacked Chitor; married five wives and had issue. He
died 1535 at Chitor.
- Rawat Rai Singh (qv)
- Kunwar Jetmal Singh
- Kunwar Barmal Singh
- Kunwar Kanha Singh
- Kunwar Khanji Singh, he was granted the Jagirs of
Ambirama and Badi Sakthali; married and had issue,
the Khanawat clan.
- Kunwar Manji Singh
- Baisa Ram Kunwari
- Baisa Shyam Kunwari
Rawat RAI SINGH,
Rawat of Kanthal 1535/1552, married and had issue. He
- Rawat Bikram Singh (qv)
- Kunwar Udaikaran Singh
- Kunwar Aaskaran Singh
- Kunwar Puranmal Singh
- Baisa Kishan Kunwari
Rawat BIKRAM SINGH,
Rawat of Kanthal 1552/1561 and Deolia 1561/1564, born
1525, he left Mewar and lived at Giaspur near Deolia
for some years when he defeated the Bhil ruler and
founded the town of Deogarh or Deolia in 1561, later
to become Pratapgarh, married four wives and had
issue. He died 18th August 1564.
- Rawat Tej Singh (qv)
- Rajkumar Surjan Singh, he was granted the Jagir of
Raipur, married and had issue.
- Thakur Ram Das of Raipur, married and had issue.
- Kunwar Man Singh of Manpura
- Kunwar Kan Singh of Kangarh
- Rajkumar Sardul Singh, he was granted the Jagirs
of Sidhpura and Veragaon.
- Rajkumar Kishan Das, he was granted the Jagir of
Jhantla (or Barlia).
- Baisa Kishan Kunwari
- Baisa Lal Kunwari
Rawat TEJ SINGH,
6th Rawat of Deolia 1564/1593, married six wives and
had issue. He died 1593.
- Rawat Bhanu Singh (qv)
- Rawat Sinha Singh (qv)
Rawat BHANU SINGH,
7th Rawat of Deolia 1593/1597, he provided shelter to
Mahabat Khan when he was attacked by Emperor Jahangir
and when Mahabat Khan was returned to favour, the
latter remembred the kindness shown him in Deolia and
furthered the cause of Hari Singh, the Rawats
grand-nephew at the court of Delhi; married Rani
Bhagwati Kunwari, daughter of Rao Narayandas of Idar. He was killed sp in 1597 (or
1604) in a battle against the Maharana of Chitor.
Rawat SINHA SINGH,
8th Rawat of Deolia 1597/1627, married 13 wives and
had issue. He died on 8th April 1627.
- Rawat Jashwant Singh (qv)
- Rajkumar Jaganath Singh
- Rajkumar Mahav Singh
- Baisa Sada Kunwari
- Baisa Raj Kunwari
SINGH, 9th Rawat of Deolia 1627/1628, married
eight wives, including Rani Chanda Kunwari, and had
issue. He was killed in 1628 by Maharana Jagat Singh
- Rajkumar Maha Singh, he was killed in 1628 by
Maharana Jagat Singh of Mewar.
- Maharawat Hari Singh (qv)
- Rajkumar Man Singh, he was granted the Jagir of
- Rajkumar Kesari Singh, he was granted the Jagir of
- Rajkumar Udai Singh
- Baisa Rup Kunwari
- Baisa Suraj Kunwari
SINGH, 10th Maharawat of Deolia 1628/1673, he
was recognized as an independent ruler and was granted
the title of Maharaj Dhiraj Maharawat by the Mughal
Emperor along with the district of Kanthal, he
gradually brought the whole tract under his control;
married ten wives including (a) Maharani Manbhavnade
Hadi, (b) Maharani Jas Kunwari Jhali, (c) Maharani
Anoop Kunwari Rathod from Medta, (d) Maharani
Ajabkuveri Goad (committed sati), (e) Maharani
Anandkuveri Rathod (committed sati) and had
issue. He died 1673.
- Maharawat Pratap Singh (by Maharani Manbhavnade
- Maharaj Amar Singh (by Maharani Jas Kunwari
Jhali), he was granted the Jagir of Sakthali.
- Maharaj Mokham Singh (by Maharani Anoop Kunwari),
he was granted the Jagir of Salimgarh.
- Maharaj Madhav Singh (by Maharani Ajabkuveri
Goad), he was granted the Jagir of Achlavda.
- Maharaj Anand Singh (by Maharani Anandkuveri)
- Maharajkumari Kalyan Kunwari (by Maharani
Anandkuveri), married Kunwar (later Maharaja) Anup
Singh Rathore of Bikaner.
- Maharajkumari Sobhaya Kunwari (by Maharani
SINGH, 11th Maharawat of Deolia 1673/1698 and
Pratapgarh 1698/1708, founded Pratapgarh in 1698,
married 10 wives including (a) Maharani Prem Kunwari,
daughter of Padam Singh of Bikaner, (b) Maharani
Dharma Kunwari Goad, daughter of Thakur Vithaldas of
Ajmer (she committed sati), (c) Maharani Vijay
Kunwari, daughter of Thakur Sabal Singh Kachhawa, (she
committed sati), and had issue. He died 30th
- Maharawat Prithvi Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Kirti Singh
- Maharaj Bhim Singh
- Maharaj Daulat Singh
- Maharaj Inder Singh
- Maharajkumari Bane Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Sobhagya Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Phool Kunwari
SINGH, 12th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1708/1718, he was recived with much courtesy at delhi
and was granted the privilege of minting his own
coinage; married 9 wives including Maharani Vijay
Kunwari, daughter of Kunwar Padam Singh of Bikaner,
and had issue. He died 1718.
- Maharawat Pahar Singh (qv)
- Maharawat Umaid Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Padam Singh
- Maharaj Kalyan Singh
- Maharawat Gopal Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Guman Singh
- Maharani Kalyan Kunwari, married Maharaja Ajit
Singh of Jodhpur.
- Maharani Anoop Kunwari, married Maharaja Ajit
Singh of Jodhpur.
- Maharajkumari Padam Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Ratan Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Suraj Kunwari
SINGH, 13th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1718/1718, married and had issue. He died 1718.
- Maharawat Sangram Singh (aka Ram Singh) (qv)
SINGH, 14th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1718/1719. He died 1719 sp.
SINGH, 15th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1719/1721, married four wives including Maharani Kesar
Kunwari, daughter of Thakur Kushal Singh Adjawat
Kachhawa, and had issue. He died 1721.
- Maharajkumari Amrut Kunwari
SINGH, 16th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1721/1756, married eleven wives and had issue. He died
- Maharaj Bakhtawar Singh
- Maharawat Salim Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Ratan Singh
- Maharaj Jait Singh
- Maharajkumari Suraj Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Ajan Kunwari
SINGH, 17th Maharawat of Pratapgarh 1756/1774
, married eleven wives including Maharani Kundan
Kunwari, daughter of Thakur Lal Singh Rathod of
Aamjhar, and had issue. He died 26th October 1774.
- Maharawat Sawant Singh (see below)
- Maharajkumar Rod Singh, died at a young age.
- Maharajkumar Vijay Singh, died at a young age.
- Maharajkumar Gaj Singh, died at a young age.
- Maharaj Lal Singhji, he was granted the Jagir of
Arnod, married and had issue.
- Maharaj Arjun Singhji, Thakur Saheb of Arnod,
married and had issue.
- Maharaj Kushal Singhji, Thakur Saheb of Arnod,
born 1819, married a daughter of the Rao of Asind in Mewar, and
had issue. He died 1856.
- Kunwar Raghunath Singh, adopted by Maharawat
Udai Singh and succeeded as HH Maharawat Sir
Raghunath Singhji Bahadur of Pratapgarh (see
- Maharajkumar Mehtab Singh, died at a young age.
- Maharajkumari Maya Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Rup Kunwari
SINGH, 18th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1774/1844, born 5th October 1767, during his reign the
state was overrun by the Marathas and the state was
only spared destruction by the payment of tribute to
Maharaja Holkar still levied a 100 years later; a
treaty was made with the British in 1804, later
replaced by another in 1818 still in force in 1931;
married 8 wives including (a) Maharani Swaroop
Kunwari, daughter of Maharaja Bahadur Singh of Kishangarh, married
(b), Maharani Daulat Kunwari, daughter of a Rathod
Sardar of Medhta, married (c), Maharani Gulab Kunwar,
daughter of Thakur Tej Sinhji of Namli in Ratlam, married
(d) Maharani Daulat Kunwar, daughter of Thakur Fateh
Sinhji of Namli in
Ratlam, and had issue. He died 5th January 1844.
- Yuvrani Pran Kunwari (by Swaroop Kunwari), married
Yuvaraj Shri Umaidsinhji Gambhirsinhji Sahib Bahadur
- Rani Chiman Kunwari (by Daulat Kunwari Rathodji),
married 1821, Rana Fatehsinhji Solanki of Lunawada.
- Maharaj Padam Singh
- Maharajkumar Dip Singh, married 1stly, Rani Raaj
Kunwari, daughter of Raja Udaibhan Singh of Bhinai, married 2ndly,
a Rani from Fatehgarh in Kishangarh, and
had issue. He died 21st May 1826 (1823).
- Bhanwar Kesri Singh (by Rani Raaj Kunwari), born
8th November 1808, he died sp under
mysterious circumstances in 1834 (#1).
- Maharawat Dalpat Singh (by 2nd wife) (qv)
- Maharani Pratap Kunwari (by 2nd wife), married
12th February 1833, Maharaja Sardar Singh of Bikaner.
- Maharaj Sardar Singh
- Maharajkumari Ajab Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Chandan Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Takhat Kunwari
- Maharajkumari Ratan Kunwari
SINGH, 19th Maharawat of Pratapgarh
1844/1864, born 26th November 1808, adopted by
Maharawal Jashwant Singhji of Dungarpur in 1820, but
wasn't allowed to eventually succeed there in 1845.
His own son died in 1845 and he therefore adopted
Kanwar Udai Singh of Sabli who became the next
Maharawal of Dungarpur, married 1stly, Maharani Daulat
Kunwari of Namli in Ratlam, married 2ndly, Maharani
Moti Kunwari of Kushalgarh, married 3rdly, Maharani
Kesar Kunwari of Kushalgarh, married 4thly, Maharani
Kalyan Kunwari of Keranya in Bansda, and had issue. He
died 30th March 1864.
- HH Maharawat Udai Singh (qv)
HH Maharawat UDAI
SINGH, 20th Maharawat of Pratapgarh 1864/1890
, born 29th June 1848, married 1stly, HH Maharani
Swaroop Kunwari, daughter of Thakur Takhat Sinhji of Namli in Ratlam, married
2ndly, HH Maharani Juhaar Kunwari, daughter of Raja
Duleh Singhji, Raja of Sailana,
married 3rdly, HH Maharani Phool Kunwari, daughter of
Raja Duleh Singhji, Raja of Sailana, and had issue, as
well as an adopted son. He died 15th February 1890.
- Yuvraj Hamir Singh (by 1st wife), born 29th March
1865, died 1869.
- Yuvraj Arjun Singh (by 2nd wife), born 1st March
1887, died young.
- (A) HH Maharawat Sir Raghunath Singh Bahadur
HH Maharawat Sir
RAGHUNATH SINGH Bahadur K.C.I.E., 21st
Maharawat of Pratapgarh 1890/1929, born 29th December
1858, adopted from Arnod on 4th May 1890 by HH
Maharani Swaroop Kunwari; K.C.I.E. [cr.1.12.1911],
married 1stly, HH Maharani Ugam Kunwari, daughter of
the Thakur of Khawasa (Pisangan) in Ajmer, died 6th
December 1891, married 2ndly, HH Maharani Kesar
Kunwari, daughter of Maharaj Bhawani Singh of Semlia
in Sailana, died 28th April 1908, married 3rdly, 20th
February 1892, HH Maharani Vraj Kunwari (sister of the
first wife), and had issue. He died 11th January 1929
- Yuvraj Pratap Singh (by Maharani Ugam Kunwari),
died 19th September 1890.
- Yuvraj Man Singh (by Maharani Ugam Kunwari), born
13th April 1886, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; in
charge of the administration of the state from 1905;
married 1stly, 18th February 1903, Yuvrani Chandra
Kumari of Khetri,
married 2ndly, 13th October 1910, Yuvrani
Bhuvaneshwari Devi of Tehri-Garhwal,
died 9th August 1913, married 3rdly, 1913, Yuvrani
Maya Kunwarba Sahiba of Dhrangadhra, and
had issue. He died 29th October 1918.
- HH Maharawat Sir Ram Singhji II Bahadur (qv)
- Rani Mohan Kumari, born 24th July 1911 (or 26th
August 1912 (#4 p.296)),
married 2nd December 1929, Maharaj Dr. Raghunath
Singh of Sitamau.
- HH Maharani Vallabh Kunwari (by Maharani Ugam
Kunwari), married HH Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner. She died
19th August 1906.
- HH Maharani Raj Kunwari (by Maharani Vraj
Kunwari), married 1909, HH Maharaja Dileep Singhji
- Maharaj Goverdhan Singhji (by Maharani Vraj
Kunwari), born 1900, he was granted the Jagir of Arnod on 4th September
HH Maharawat Sir RAM
SINGH II Bahadur K.C.S.I., 22nd Maharawat of
Pratapgarh 1929/1949, born 12th April 1908 (#3), he succeeded to the gadi on 18th
January 1929 (#4 p.296);
educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; he was created a
K.C.S.I. on 1st January 1938 (#4
p.296), married 1stly 14th May 1924, HH
Maharani Raj Kunwari, died 3rd January 1931 (#4 p.296), daughter of Rao
Raja Sir Madho Singhji Bahadur of Sikar, married 2ndly,
20th April 1932 (#4 p.296),
HH Maharani Meghraj Kumari, daughter of Hon. Maharaja
Bahadur Sir Keshav Prasad Singh of Dumraon, married 3rdly,
16th May 1934 (#4 p.296),
HH Maharani Mahendra Kumari, daughter of Major HH
Maharana Shri Maharaja Shri Raj Sir Ghanshyamsinhji
Ajitsinhji Sahib Bahadur of Dhrangadhra, and
his third wife, HH Maharani Anand Kunwarba Sahiba, and
had issue. He died 9th January 1949.
- HH Rani Devendra Kumari, born 16th February 1925 (#4 p.296), married HH Raja
Lakshman Singh of Chamba,
and had issue, three sons and two daughters. She
died 27th June 2004 at King Rashid Hospital in
Dubai, cremated at Chamba.
- Maharajkumari (name
unknown), born 18th May 1929 (#4 p.296).
- Maharajkumari Indira Kumari, born 19th April 1933,
married to Vasna (Gujarat).
- Maharajkumari Urmila Kumari, born 4th August 1937,
married Maharajkumar Balram Singh of Datia.
- Maharajkumari Kusum Kumari, born 17th July 1939,
married in Dewas.
- Rani Kumud Kumari, born 17th July 1939, married
Rao Sahib Virendra Singh Ju Deo of Bihat, and has issue.
- Maharajkumari Kanak Kumari, born 1940, married.
- Kaurani Ila Kumari, born 1942, married Kumar Shri
Ranjit Singh of Bilkha,
and has issue.
- Maharaj Prakaram Singh, married Rani Bhanu Kumari,
daughter of HH Shri Sawai Maharaja Sir Tej Singhji
Dev Bahadur of Alwar.
- Maharaj Ranjit Singh, married Rani Subh Kumari,
daughter of Rawat Kuber Singh of Dhula, and has issue,
- Rajkumari Jyotsana Kumari
- Thakurani Yeshwant Kumari, born 23rd February
1938, married Thakur Raghuraj Singh of Badnore, and has
- HH Maharawat Ambika Pratap Singh (qv)
- Maharani Maheshwari Devi, born 9th April 1941,
married December 1956 (divorced), HH Maharao Brijraj
Singh of Kotah.
- Maharaj Durgapratapsinh, born 25th December 1945,
educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1963); married
8th February 1973, Rani Meenakshidevi from Dera
Ismail Khan, born 20th February 1946, died 10th
February 2005, and has issue.
- Baijilal Rajkumari Ambikadevi, born 13th
- Rajkumar Dhruvadityasinh, born 16th May 1979.
HH Maharawat AMBIKA
PRATAP SINGH, 23rd Maharawat of Pratapgarh
The help of MS D.P.S. Sisodia is gratefully