LOCATION: Bombay AREA: 3,930.33 km² VILLAGES: 927 POPULATION: 168,415 (1921) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 27,32,113 (1930) DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Gohil PRIVY PURSE: Rs 397,946 SEAT: Nandod, Rajpipla ACCESSION: 10th June 1948
AGENCY: Rewa Kantha Agency 1811 -1937 then Baroda and Gujarat States Agency 1937 - 1944 then Baroda, Western India and Gujarat States Agency 1944 - 1947
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharana Shri RAGHUBIRSINHJI RAJENDRASINHJI Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla since 3rd February 1963.
born 29th May 1942 at Nandod (New Rajpipla), educated at N. Wadia College, Poona; I.C.S., London and Geneva Theological College, London; formerly Honorary Consul for Barbados at Bombay, director/partner R.R. Hotels Ltd, Raj Enterprises of Rajvant Palace Resort and Vijayraj Palace Hotel, trustee of RR Charitable Trust, Rajeshwar Mahadeo Trust and Tatya Baba Trust; married 5th March 1964, HH Maharani Rukmani Devi Sahiba, born 1942, daughter of HH Maharajadhiraj Maharawal Girdhar Singh Bahadur of Jaisalmer, and his second wife, HH Maharani Sahib Hawa Kanwar, and has issue.
- Yuvaraj Shri Manvendrasinhji Raghubirsinhji Sahib
[Manvendra Singh Gohil], born 23rd September 1965 at
Ajmer, educated at Scottish High School and Amrutben
College, Bombay University, organic farmer, CEO
Lakshya Trust; married January 1991 (div. 1992),
Yuvrani Chandrika Kumari, daughter of Maharaj
Gajendrapal Singh of Jhabua,
and his wife, Rani Somlata Kumari.
- Maharajkumari Minaxi Kumari Sahiba (Kunwar Rani Minaxi Kumari of Chenani), born 13th March 1968 at Bombay, educated at Scottish High School and S.V.T. College of Home Science, Shreemati Nathibai Damodar Thakersay (S.N.D.T.) Women's University, Bombay; married 1992, Kunwar Digvijay Chand of Chenani, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Maharana Rayasalji, Rana of Rajpipla fl.1565, 30th in descent from Rawal Shalivahana.
- Maharana Chandrasenji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Gambhirsinhji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Sabherajji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Jaysinhji, Rana of Rajpipla fl.1625
- Maharana Mulrajji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Surmalji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Udekaranji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Chandrabaji, Rana of Rajpipla fl.1685
- Maharana Chatrasalji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana Mota Verisalji, Rana of Rajpipla
- Maharana JITSINHJI VERISALJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla -/1754, the bards of the family, make him 41st in descent from Rawal Shalivahana, 20th Rawal of Mewar at Ahar 973/977 (see Sisodia Dynasty), married and had issue. He died 1754.
- Maharana Pratapsinhji JItsinhji (qv)
- Maharana PRATAPSINHJI JITSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1754/1764, married and had issue. He died 1764.
- Maharana Raisinhji Pratapsinhji (qv)
- Maharana Ajabsinhji Pratapsinhji (qv)
- Maharana RAISINHJI
PRATAPSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1764/1786,
- Maharana AJABSINHJI
RAISINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1786/1803,
married and had issue. He died 1803.
- Maharana Ramsinhji Ajabsinhji (qv)
- Maharana Narsinhji Ajabsinhji (qv)
- Maharana RAMSINHJI AJABSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1803/1810 (deposed), married and had adoptive issue.
- (A) Maharana Pratapsinhji Ramsinhji (qv)
PRATAPSINHJI RAMSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla
1810/1815, succeeded by adoption..
- Maharana NARSINHJI
AJABSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1819/1821
- Maharana VAIRISALJI
NARSINHJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1821/1860
(abdicated), the state was restored to him in 1827
after Mughal power declined; married and had issue. He
- Maharana Shri Gambhirsinhji Vairisalji (qv)
- HH Maharani Chandra Kunverba Sahiba, married 1873, HH Maharawal Shri Mansinhji Prithvirajji of Baria, and had issue. She died 1894.
- Maharana Shri GAMBHIRSINHJI VAIRISALJI, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1860/1897, born 1847, installed as ruler on 17th November 1860; he was deprived of ruling powers in 1887 and the state was placed in the hands of the British Administrator; married and had issue. He died 10th January 1897.
- HH Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji (qv)
- Kumar Shri Ramsinhji Gambhirsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot
- Kumar Shri Kiritsinhji Gambhirsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot, married and had issue.
- Rani Manwar Kunwarba Sahiba, married in 1914 (as
his 1st wife), Maharaj Shri Dashrath Singhji of Barwani, and had
issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumar Shri Narsinhji Gambhirsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot
- Kumar Shri Digvijaysinhji Gambhirsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot
- HH Maharani Dilhar Kunverba Sahiba, married (as
his second wife), Lt.-Col. HH Maharawal Sir Shri
Ranjitsinhji Mansinhji of Baria,
and had issue.
- Rani Drupad Kunverba Sahiba, Maharaj Naharsinhji Mansinhji of Baria, and had issue. She died 1980.
- Rani Rasik Kunverba Sahiba, married 1905 (as his
1st wife), HH Maharana Sahib Shri Vijayadevji
Mohandevji, Raja of Dharampur,
and had issue. She died 1907.
- HH Maharana Shri Sir CHHATRASINHJI GAMBHIRSINHJI K.C.I.E., Maharaja of Rajpipla 1897/1915, born 1861 (#4), educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; a progressive ruler, he began the process of modernisation of Rajpipla which was carried on by his son, married 1stly, HH Maharani Shri Phul Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharana Raj Saheb Shri Banesinhji Jaswantsinhji of Wankaner, married 2ndly, HH Maharani Sardar Kunverba, daughter of Maharawal Shri Motisinhji Jitsinhji of Chhota-Udaipur, married 3rdly, a daughter of Mahida Shri Durjan Sinhji, and had issue four sons and two daughters. He died 20th September 1915 (#1).
- Lt.-Col. HH Maharana Shri Sir Vijaysinhji Chhatrasinhji (by 1st marriage) (qv)
- Kumar Shri Champaksinhji, married the 2nd daughter of Rana Gulabsinhji Gammelsinhji of Pratappur, and had issue.
- Thakurani Bharati Devi, married April 1947, Lt.-Col. Thakur Raghuvir Singhji of Dundlod, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Veena Devi, married Kumar Shri Jaisinhji Banesinhji Jhala, son of Kumar Shri Banesinhji Jaswantsinhji of Wadhwan.
- Kumar Shri Kishoresinhji Chhatrasinhji
- Kumar Shri Natwarsinhji Chhatrasinhji
- HH Maharani Padma Kunverba Saheba, married 1927 (as his first wife), HH Maharawal Natwarsinhji Fatehsinhji of Chhota-Udaipur. She died 1928.
- Lt.-Col. HH Maharana Shri Sir VIJAYSINHJI CHHATRASINHJI Sahib G.B.E., K.C.S.I., Maharaja of Rajpipla 1915/1951, born 30th January 1890 at Chhatra Vilas Palace, Nandod (New Rajpipla) (#2)(#3)(#5 p.40), eldest son of HH Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji Sahib, Raja of Rajpipla, K.C.I.E., by his first wife, HH Maharani Shri Phul Kunverba Sahiba, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot, and at the Imperial Cadet Corps, Dehra Dun; he succeeded to the gadi on the death of his father, 20th September 1915 (#3), and was invested with full ruling powers at the Fort, Juna Raj (Old Rajpipla), on 10th December 1915,he was granted the hereditary title of Maharaja, with the permanent gun salute of the State raised from 11 to 13 guns on 1st January 1921; he introduced many reforms, including free Primary education, nominal high school fees, scholarships, a civil hospital, 5 dispensaries and a veterinary hospital in the state, good public works, and a criminal-and-civil court; he initiated the construction of good motorable roads, a 40 mile railway line, and a 19 mile steam railroad and a tramway connecting the towns along the river Narmada with villages in the interior, and a power house supplying water and electricity to the town, he regularised the land revenue systems, introduced pensions for public servants and increased the salaries of the police and military; he signed the instrument of accession to the Dominion of India, 15th August 1947, and merged Rajpipla State into the Bombay Presidency, on 10th June 1948 (Gujarat since May 1960); he was one of the leading racehorse owners in the world, his horses winning the Indian Derby in 1919 (Tipster), Irish Derby in 1926 (Embargo), the Grand Prix in Belgium in 1927 (Embargo), and the Epsom Derby in 1934 (Windsor Lad), he topped the racing events list in the 1932-1933 Indian racing season; G.B.E. [cr. 1.1.1945], K.C.S.I. [cr. 1.1.1925], married 1stly, 2nd March 1911 at Amleta, HH Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba [Ratlam Basaheb], daughter of Maharaj Raghunath Singhji of Amleta, married 2ndly, 18th June 1917, HH Maharani Padmini Kunverba Sahiba [Panna Basaheb], daughter of Rao Raja Khuman Singh Ju Deo of Panna, married 3rdly, 5th January 1940, HH Maharani Ella Devi Sahiba [née Ella Atherton], and had issue. He died 29th April 1951 at The Manor, Old Windsor, Berkshire, and was cremated at Rampura, on the banks of the river Narmada, 18 kms from his former capital.
- HH Maharana Shri Rajendrasinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib (by Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba)(qv)
- Rajkumar Shri Raghunathsinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib
(by Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba), born July 1913
at Nandod (New Rajpipla), died 1915.
- Rajkumari Shri (name
unknown) Kunverba Sahiba (by Maharani Uday
Kunverba Sahiba), born 1914 at Nanod, died 1915 at
Nandod (New Rajpipla).
- Maharajkumari Kusum Kunverba Sahiba [HH Maharani Kusum Kunverba Sahiba of Chota Udepur] (by Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba), born at Vijay Palace, Nandod (New Rajpipla), married 5th December 1928, (as his second wife), HH Maharawal Shri Natwarsinhji Fatehsinhji of Chhota-Udaipur, and had issue, one son. She died 1981.
- Maharaj Shri Pramodsinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib (by Maharani Uday Kunverba Sahiba), born 13th January 1917 (#5 p.41) at Nandod (New Rajpipla), educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and Queen’s College, Cambridge (B.A), member of the Indian Administrative Service, polo player, married 10th December 1952, Rani Jayendra Kumari Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Sahib Shri Indrasinhji Balvirsinhji of Lakhtar, and had issue. He died 1st January 1980 at Bombay.
- Rajkumari Yogeshwari Devi Sahiba [Kunwarani Yogeshwari Devi], born 13th October 1953 at Bombay, married 6th December 1976, Kunwar Duleep Singh, son of Thakur Harnath Singh of Khatipura, and had issue, one son and twin daughters. She died 2001.
- Rajkumari Maheshwari Devi Sahiba [Shrimati
Maheshwari Devi Panwar], born 16th December 1954
at Bombay, married 11th December 1981, Capt.
Manvendra Singh Panwar, son of Lt.-Col. Mahendra
Pratap Bahadur Singh, and has issue, one son.
- Rajkumari Durgeshwari Devi Sahiba, [Shrimati
Durgeshwari Balchander] born 10th April 1956 at
Lakhtar, married 21st April 1980, Shri R.
Balchander, son of Shri M.P. Rajagopalan, and has
issue, two daughters.
- Rajkumari Krishna Kumari Sahiba [Kunwarani
Krishna Kumari], born 25th September 1959 at
Bhubaneshwar, married 10th February 1989, Kumar
Shri Brijrajsinhji Praveensinhji Jadeja of Dhrol,
son of Kumar Shri Praveen Sinhji Umaid Sinhji
Jadeja of Dhrol. No
- Maharajkumari Mohini Kunverba Sahiba [HH Maharani
Mohini Kunverba of Morvi] (by Maharani Padmini
Kunverba Sahiba), born 14th September 1918 at Vijay
Palace, Nandod (New Rajpipla), married 27th January
1932, (as his first wife), HH Maharaja Shri
Mahendrasinhji Lakhdirji Sahib Bahadur, Maharaja of
Morvi. She died sp on 13th
- Rajkumar Shri (name unknown) Vijaysinhji Sahib (by Maharani Padmini Kunverba Sahiba), born in July 1919, died 11th August 1919.
- Maharaj Shri Indrajeetsinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib [Billy Rajpipla] (by Maharani Padmini Kunverba Sahiba), born 19th September 1925 (#5 p.41) at Vijay Palace, Nandod (New Rajpipla), educated at Mayo College, Ajmer; painter, farmer, keen polo player and renowned hunter, married 27th May 1954 at Bombay, Rani Vina Kumari, daughter of Raja Shriniwas Prasad Singh, Raja of Jagdishpur (Bhojpur, Bihar), and his wife, Rani Savitri Devi, and had issue. He died 11th July 1964 at his farm in Bijnor District, U.P.
- Maharaj Shri Indra Vikram Singhji Indrajeet Sinhji Sahib [Teddy Rajpipla], born 29th July 1955 at Mussoorie, educated at St. Joseph’s Academy, Dehra Dun; St. George’s College, Mussoorie; Hans Raj College, Delhi University; and at the British Institute of Commerce, Bombay; keen cricketer, captained cricket teams at school and college; owner of garments manufacturing and export business 1978-1990, publishing business since 1990, freelance writer and editor of 'Cricket Samrat'¯, author of ‘Test Cricket - End of the Road?’ (1992), ‘World Cup Cricket’ (2002), 'The Little Big Book of World Cup Cricket' (edition I 2007, edition II 2011), 'The Big Book of World Cup Cricket' (2011), 'The Little Big Book of World Cup Cricket' edition II (2011), 'A Maharaja's Turf' (2011), 'Crowning Glory' (2011) and 'Don's Century' (2011); presently setting up a heritage palace resort; married 21st May 1981 at Dehra Dun (div.1988), Kunwarani Vandana Kumari, daughter of Thakur Mahabir Singh of Ajairajpura, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Shri Vishvajeet Singhji Indra Vikram Singhji Sahib [Joey Rajpipla], born 30th July 1983 at Doom Dooma, educated at Vidya Niketan, New Delhi; Summer Fields School, Gurgaon; Shaheed Bhagat Singh College, Delhi University; and ICFAI University, Hyderabad; finance executive with Tupperware India, and Bausch & Lomb Eyecare India.
- Maharaj Shri Indra Vadan Singhji Indrajeet Singhji Sahib [Anuj Rajpipla], born 1st November 1957 at Dehra Dun, educated at St. Joseph’s Academy, Dehra Dun; St. George’s College, Mussoorie; St. Michael’s School, Patna; Hindu College and Hans Raj College, Delhi University; keen cricketer, soccer player, painter and musician; executive in garments company, tea gardens and tea export company, export business; married 21st February 1982 at New Delhi, Kunwarani Ratna Varma, daughter of Wing Commander J. C. Varma, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Shubhangini Singh, born 26th April
1983 at New Delhi, educated at Vidya Niketan,
New Delhi, and Wigan & Leigh College, New
Delhi; artist, company executive.
- Rajkumar Shri Chandra Vadan Singh, born 3rd February 1988 at Duliajan, educated at Vidya Niketan, New Delhi, and JIMS, New Delhi; executive with Genpact India.
- Maharajkumari Chandra Prabha Kumari Sahiba
[Maharaj Kunwarani Chandra Prabha Kumari Sahiba of
Nabha] (by Maharani Padmini Kunverba Sahiba), born
11th November 1932 at Nandod, married 1950,
Maharajkumar Shri Gurbaksh Singh of Nabha, and had issue,
two daughters and one son. She died in September
- Maharaj Shri Rajsinhji Vijaysinhji Sahib (by
Maharani Ila Devi), born 21st November 1940,
educated at Westminister School; journalist.
- Maharajkumari Premila Devi Sahiba (by Maharani Ila
Devi), born 10th April 1949, educated at Heathfield
School, Ascot, a fashion model and businesswoman.
- HH Maharana Shri RAJENDRASINHJI VIJAYSINHJI Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla 1951/1963, born 30th March 1912 at Chhatravilas Palace, Nandod (New Rajpipla), educated at Mayo College, Ajmer, and RMA, Woolwich, Commissioned as Honorary 2nd Lieut 1/6/1936, attached Royal Deccan Horse, Indian Army 1/6/1936 to 1/12/1936, Assistant Collector at Poona 1936-1937, served in World War II as instructor Indian Army 1939-1943, Army Minister Rajpipla State 1943-1948, President Rajpipla Interim Executive Council 1946-1948, polo player, succeeded on the death of his father, 29th April 1951, installed on the gadi at the Fort, Juna Raj (Old Rajpipla), married 5th March 1934, HH Maharani Rasik Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of HH Maharawal Shri Fatehsinhji Motisinhji Sahib of Chhota-Udaipur, and had issue, one son and two daughters. He died 3rd February 1963 at Bombay.
- HH Maharana Shri Raghubirsinhji Rajendrasinhji Sahib (qv)
- Maharajkumari Premlata Kumari Sahiba (HH Maharani Premlata Kumari Sahiba of Bolangir-Patna, now the Rajmata Sahiba of Patna), born 5th January 1937 at Nandod, married 18th January 1955, HH Maharaja Raj Raj Singh Deo of Bolangir-Patna, and has issue, two sons and two daughters.
- Maharajkumari Vimla Kumari Sahiba (Rani Vimla Kumari Sahiba of Bamra), born 15th September 1938 at Nandod, married 7th February 1965, Raja Pradipta Gang Deb of Bamra, and has issue, one son.
- HH Maharana Shri RAGHUBIRSINHJI RAJENDRASINHJI Sahib, Maharaja of Rajpipla (see above)
- Rani Manwar Kunwarba Sahiba, married 1914, Maharaj Dasrath Singh of Barwani and had issue. She died 1916.
- Rani Shyamlata Kumari, married Maharaj Shri Naharsinhji Godji of Kutch.
- Kanwar Prithiraj Singh, married and had issue.
- Rani Kusum Kumari, married 13th May 1930, Maj. HH Raja Sir Joginder Sen Bahadur of Mandi.
- Rani Jayaraj Kumari, married 1936, Maharaj Shri Duleepsinhji Jaswansinhji Jadeja of Nawanagar.
- Kumar Shri Indravijaysinhji Amarjeetsinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1980)
- Kumar Shri Jaisinhji Hirasinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1963)
- Kumar Shri Vikramsinhji Hirasinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1969)
- Rani Rattan Kunwarba Sahiba, married (as his tenth wife), Raj Sahib Raisinhji Pratapsinhji of Dhrangadhra, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Randhirsinhji Duleepsinhji Gohil, married 1973, Kumari Shri Gayatri Devi, daughter of Thakore Saheb Mahendrasinhji Jorawarsinhji of Mengni, and his wife, Thakurani Nirmala Kunverba Saheba.
- Rani Drupad Kunverba Sahiba, married Maharaj Naharsinhji Mansinhji of Baria, and had issue.
- HH Maharani Samaj Kunverba Sahiba, married (as his first wife), HH Maharawal Shri Fatehsinhji Motisinhji Sahib of Chhota-Udaipur, and had issue.
- Maharaj Prakram Singhji, married and had issue.
- Ranisaheb Bashri Pushpakunvarbasaheb, married 1927 (as his first wife), Major Maharaol Maharaj Naharsinhji Fatehsinhji of Chhota-Udaipur, and had issue.
- Rani Ranjana Devi, married Maharaj Shri Hirasinhji
Ranjitsinhji of Baria.