LOCATION: Madhya Pradesh AREA: 769.23 km² VILLAGES: 96 (1907)POPULATION: 35,223 (1931) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 3,00,000 DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Rathore - Ratnawat clan SEAT: Raoti then Sailana (1730) ACCESSION: 15th June 1948
AGENCY: Malwa Agency 1937 - 1948PRIVY PURSE: Rs 70,000
STATE MOTTO: Na bhayam ishat mahādashritam ("In the protection of the great there is not the least fear")
PRESENT RULER: HH Raja VIKRAM SINGHJI Bahadur, 13th and present Raja Saheb of Sailana
born 1951, educated at Daly College, Indore; married HH Rani Chandra Kumari, daughter of HH Maharajadhiraj Maharawal Raghunath Singhji Bahadur of Jaisalmer, and his wife, HH Maharani Mukut Rajya Lakshmi Devi, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Shailaja Kumari, married 1997, Tikka Aishwariya Chand Katoch of Kangra-Lambagraon, and has issue, one son.
- Rajkumari Smriti Kumari, married Kanwar Raviraj Singh of Tehri-Garhwal, and has
- Raja JAI SINGH, 1st
Raja of Sailana 1730/1757, he took revenge against his uncle
for the murder of his father, and with his elder brother they
shared the three estates amongst themselves, with his brother
receiving Dharad (Ratlam) and Dhamnod, whilst he retained the
estate of Raoti in 1730, later in 1730, he built the present
capital of Sailana, and became its first ruler in 1730,
married and had issue. He died 1757.
- Yuvaraj Devi Singh, he died vpsp.
- Raja Jaswant Singh (qv)
- Raja Ajab Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Shri Daulat Singh, he was granted the estate of
Semlia; married and had issue (see Semlia).
- Raja JASWANT SINGH,
2nd Raja of Sailana 1757/1772, married and had issue. He died sp in 1772.
- Raja AJAB SINGH, 3rd Raja of Sailana 1772/1782, married and had issue, three sons.
- Raja Mokham Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Shri Bhopat Singhji, he was granted the estate of Deolan, married and had issue.
- Raja Nahar Singh (qv)
- Maharaj Shri Guman Singh, he was granted the estate of
Adwania, married and had issue.
- Raja MOKHAM SINGH, 4th Raja of Sailana 1782/1797, he became a feudatory of the Maharaja of Gwalior, much land having been lost to the Marathas by this stage; married and had issue.
- Raja Lakshman Singh (qv)
- Raja LAKSHMAN SINGH,
5th Raja of Sailana 1797/1826, he entered into an agreement
with the Maharaja of Gwalior in 1819, whereby the Maharaja
ceased interference in the internal affairs of Sailana and the
Raja agree to pay Rs42,000 (Salim Shahi) as tribute; married
and had issue. He died 1826.
- Raja Ratan Singh (qv)
- Raja RATAN SINGH,
6th Raja of Sailana 1826/1827, he died spm in 1827.
- Raja NAHAR SINGH, 7th Raja of Sailana 1827/1842, married and had issue.
- Raja Takhat Singhji (qv)
- Raja TAKHAT SINGHJI,
8th Raja of Sailana 1842/1850, married and had issue. He died
- Raja Duleh Singhji (qv)
- Rani Ejan Kanwar, married (as his first wife), 1841, Raj
Rana Shiv Singh of Bari-Sadri.
- Raja DULEH SINGHJI,
9th Raja of Sailana 1850/1895, born 1838/1839, he was granted
ruling powers in 1859, he agreed to cede any land required for
railways in 1864 and in 1881 he abolished transit duties on salt, and
in 1887 all transit duties except on opium were abolished; he adopted
Kunwar Jashwant Singh of
Semlia, who was recognized as his successor in 1884, married
and had issue, as well as adoptive issue. He died spm on 13th October 1895.
- HH Maharani Juhaar Kunwari, born 1866, married (as his
second wife), HH Maharawat Udai Singh, Maharawat of Pratapgarh.
- HH Maharani Phool Kunwari, married (as his third wife), HH Maharawat Udai Singh, Maharawat of Pratapgarh.
- (A) HH Raja Sir Jashwant Singhji Bahadur Sahib
- HH Raja Sir JASHWANT SINGHJI Bahadur Sahib K.C.I.E., 10th Raja of Sailana 1895/1919, born 3rd September 1864 as the son of Maharaj Bhawani Singhji, Jagirdar of Semlia, educated at Daly College, Indore, he made many improvements in the administration during his reign, for which he was awarded the Kaiser-i-Hind Medal, 1st Class in 1901, and was made a K.C.I.E. in 1905; married 1stly, 1882, a daughter of the Bhati Jagirdar of Barodia in Ratlam, she died 1898, married 2ndly, 1888, HH Kachhawatiji Rani Govind Kanwar, died 1906, daughter of the Raja of Machhand in Gwalior, married 3rdly, 1888, HH Ranawatiji Rani Yashwant Kunwar, daughter of the Rao Sahib of Dhariawad, married 4thly, 1895, HH Rani Chandra Kunwar Baiji Sahiba, daughter of Rana Indrajit Singhji of Barwani, and had issue, five sons and three daughters. He died on 4th August 1919 (#1) or 13th July 1919 (#3).
- HH Raja Sir Dileep Singhji Bahadur (qv)
- Shreeman Maharaj Bharat Singhji, adopted to Multhan and
succeeded there on 26th August 1901, as Dharmalankar
Dharm-Bhushan Dharm-Diwaker Sahityabhusan Shreeman Maharaj
Bharat Singhji Sahib, Raja Sahib of Multhan.
- Shreeman Maharaj Ramchandra Singh, Jagirdar of Kaneri, educated at Mayo Collge, Ajmer (Class-Captain 1919/20); graduated with an M.D.H. degree in Homeopathic Medicine; he was granted the estate of Kaneri, Barmawal Jagir in 1907 by his father, and succeeded there as the Maharaj Sahib of Kaneri / Barmawal; married 1stly, a daughter of Maharaj Sahib Dhonkal Singhji of Baidia in Gwalior state, married 2ndly, a daughter of the Maharaj Sahib of Tejpur in Pratapgarh state, and had issue.
- Maharaj Sahib Krishnachandra Singhji of Kaneri/Barmawal, born in 1920, educated at Daly College, Indore, married Rani Gulab Kunwar, daughter of Rao Sahib Umaid Singhji of Bawal in Gwalior state, and had issue.
- Shreeman Maharaj Mandhata Singhji, Jagirdar of Adwania, born 6th January 1900, with his brother, he left Sailana and moved to Bikaner in 1919, where he joined the Bikaner State services under HH Maharaja Ganga Singhji, and was appointed Revenue Minister, afterwards in 1939, he was granted a jagir worth Rs50,000 in revenue yearly for his services; and worked with him till his end as his last Prime Minister.
- Shreeman Maharaj Ajatshatru Singhji, Jagirdar of Mordar, born 11th November 1904 in Jaswant Vilas Palace, Sailana, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer (where he was awarded the Viceroy’s medal for Excellence in Academics), and at Benaras Hindu University; with his brother he left Sailana and moved to Bikaner in 1919; married Shrimati Rani Krishna Kumari, only daughter and heiress of Rai Bahadur Choudhary Ranjit Singh, and his wife, Shrimati Rani Phool Kumari Sahiba of Dhampur in Bijnor District, U.P., and had issue, three sons.
- Shreeman Maharaj Rajendra Singhji Sahib of Dhampur, married Chhoree Maharani Dibya Laxmi Devi, daughter of Supradipta Manyabara Cmdr-in-Chief Gen. HH Shri Shri Shri Maharaja Sir Bhim Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana, Maharaja of Kaski and Lambjung, Prime Minister of Nepal, and his wife, HH Shri Tin Kancha Bada Maharani Deel Kumari Devi, and had issue, three sons and one daughter.
- Shreeman Maharaj Inderjeet Singh, married Rani Madhuri Singh.
- Shreeman Maharaj Bikamjeet Singh, married 12th December 1977, Rani Anant Prabha, and had issue, one son and two daughters. He died 19th March 2005.
- Rajkumari Deepanjali Singh, born 4th January 1979, educated at Convent of Jesus and Mary, Shimla and at the Jesus and Mary College, Delhi; married Rajkumar Ripu Daman Singh of Tekari state, Rae Bareilly, UP.
- Shreeman Maharaj Sangram Vijay Singh, born 4th July 1980, educated at Bishop Cotton School, Shimla and at St. Stephen’s College, Delhi.
- Rajkumari Deepshikha Kumari, born 23rd June 1983, educated at Convent of Jesus and Mary, Shimla, at St Stephen’s College, Delhi, at L.S.R. College, Delhi and at the University of Oxford, UK.
- Shreeman Maharaj Bishwajeet Singh, married 13th June 1977, Rani Anita Singh, and has issue, one son.
- Rajkumar Agni Vijey Singh Rathore, educated at the Doon School, Dehradun and at the London School of Economics in London; an Executive with K.P.M.G in London.
- Rajkumari Vijaya Singh, married Maharaj Bhawani Pratap
Singh of Banswara, and has issue, one son.
- Rajkumar Sumer Pratap Singh
- Shreeman Maharaj Virendra Singhji Sahib of Dhampur, born 8th November 1930, married 1949 in Varanasi, Rani Shashi Kiran Kumari Sahiba, second daughter of Maharaja Ambikeshwar Saran Singh Deo, Maharaja of Surguja, and his second wife, Maharani Krishna Kumari, daughter of HH Raja Sir Ram Sinh II Bahadur of Sitamau, and had issue, two sons. He died 17th January 2000.
- Colonel Shreeman Maharaj Ranvir Vikram Singh, born 23 March 1951, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and at St. Stephen's College, New Delhi; he was commissioned into the Poona Horse in 1973, one of the most decorated cavalry regiments of the world; married 17th February 1976, Rani Padmini Kumari of Dared, District Bhavnagar, youngest daughter of Durbar Saheb Ranvir Sinhji Gohil, and his wife, Rani Kishore Kumari Ba Saheb, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Rajkumari Rukmani Kumari, born 22nd June 1981, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and at Lady Shri Ram College, Delhi.
- Rajkumar Narpat Singh, born 20th October 1983,
educated at Mayo College, Ajmer.
- Shreeman Maharaj Ajit Vikram Singh, born in November 1955, educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and St. Stephen's College, New Delhi; married 1982, Rani Rati Kumari, educated at Welham Girls' High School and at St. Stephen's College, and has issue, two sons.
- Rajkumar Jairaj Singh, born 1986.
- Rajkumar Udairaj Singh, born 1987.
- Shreeman Maharaj Narendra Singhji Sahib of Dhampur
- HH Maharani Devendra Kunwar, married 19th January 1907, HH Maharawal Bijaya Singhji of Dungarpur.
- HH Rani Shiv Kanwar, married 1907, HH Shri Huzur Raja Sir Arjun Singhji Sahib Bahadur of Narsingarh.
- HH Rani Lakshni Kunwar,
married 1916, Raja Rao Bahadur Sir Durjan Sal Singh, Raja of
Khilchipur, and had
- HH Raja Sir DILEEP SINGHJI Bahadur K.C.I.E., 11th Raja of Sailana 1919/1961, born 18th March 1891 (#2, #3), educated at Mayo College, Ajmer and took his Diploma in 1908, continuing studies in the Post-Diploma course for four years; President, All-India Kshatriya Mahasabha, elected in 1920 and 1921, General-Secretary and Senior Vice-President since 1924; permanent President of the Kurukshetra Restoration Society; President of the Council of the Shri Bharat Dharma Mahamandal, Benares; married 1stly, 1909, HH Rani Raj Kunwar, she died 1911, daughter of HH Maharawat Sir Raghunath Singhji Bahadur of Pratapgarh, married 2ndly, 1915, HH Rani Preetam Kanwar, daughter of Rawat Raj Singhji, 2nd Rawat Saheb of Meja, and his wife, Rani Devsharan Kanwar of Bhinga, and had issue, two sons and three daughters. He died 8th February 1961.
- HH Raja Digvijaya Singhji Bahadur (qv)
- Maharaj Shri Laxman Singhji Sahib, Jagirdar of Advania, born 21st February 1921 (#3), married Rani Hemant Kumari, born 1918, daughter of Kanwar Ranzore Singh Sahib of Sirmur, and has issue, five daughters and one son.
- Rajkumari Kiran Kumari, married Thakur Baljeet Singh of
Bera, and has issue.
- Rajkumari Kalpana Kumari [Maharajkumarani Kalpnakumari Ranjitsinhji Jhala of Wankaner], born 28th February 1945, married Maharajkumar Dr. Ranjitsinhji Jhala of Wankaner, and has issue, two daughters.
- Rajkumari Nalini Kumari, married Raja Shri Vijay Singh
Deo of Udaipur (M.P.),
and has issue, one son and two daughters.
- Rajkumari Kavita Kumari, married to H.H. Maharaja Prithvi Bir Singh Deo of Sonepur.
- Rajkumari Kumudini Kumari, married to Shri Amrit Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana of Nepal.
- Rajkumar Jaideep Singhji, Jagirdar of Advania,
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari, born
28th August 1922.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari, born
6th June 1932.
- Maharajkumari (name unknown) Kumari, born
13th August 1934.
- Rani Lakshmi Kuwar, married Raja Udairaj Singh of Birsinghpur, and had
issue.[She was one of the above two younger unnamed
- HH Raja DIGVIJAYA SINGHJI Bahadur, 12th Raja of Sailana 1961/- , born 15th October 1918, married HH Suraj Kanwar, daughter of HH Raja Rawat Sir Birendra Singh Bahadur, Rawat of Rajgarh, and had issue.
- Rajkumari Vijaylakshmi Kumari, eldest daughter, married Maharaj Dhirendrasinhji Virbhadrasinhji Solanki of Lunawada, and has issue.
- HH Raja VIKRAM SINGHJI Bahadur (see above)
- Rajkumar Rani Madhvi Devi, born 1953, married 23rd May 1975, Rajkumar Shri Dilip Singh Ju Deo of Jashpur, and has had issue, three sons.
- Ranisaheb Jayshree Kumari, married HH Thakore Sahib Shri
Kedarendadevsinhji Surendrasinhji of Wadhwan, and has issue, one