LOCATION: Himachal Pradesh AREA: 1,015.28 km² VILLAGES: xx POPULATION: 45,358 (1892) RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 1,50,000 DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Chandrabansi - Sen lineage SEAT: Sundarnagar (1924) ACCESSION: 15th April 1948
AGENCY: Commissioner, Jullundur Division -/1921 then Punjab States Agency 1921/1933 then Punjab Hill States Agency 1933/1947 PRIVY PURSE: Rs 60,000
PRESENT RULER: HH Raja HARI SEN Bahadur, 52nd and present Raja Saheb of Suket since 18th October 1985. (Delhi, India)
born 15th August 1955 in Suket, married 20th April 1987, Rani Dr. Radhika Kumari (née Radhika Chopra), well known sociologist teaching at Delhi University, daughter of Pran Chopra, a famous Indian journalist.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The predecessor state was founded about 765AD by Raja Vira Sen, a son of a Sena Raja of Bengal. The state ranked 15th in precedence in the Punjab Darbar (1890). Suket shares an agnatic descent with Mandi, a 13th century off-shoot. Rulers were.....
- Raja ARJUN SEN, 35th Raja of Suket 1540/1560, he conquered much territory from Kullu, which was retaken over time; married and had issue.
- Raja Udai Sen (qv)
- Raja UDAI SEN, 36th Raja of Suket 1560/1590, married and had issue.
- Raja Deep Sen (qv)
- Raja DEEP SEN, 37th Raja of Suket ca1590/ca1620, married and had issue.
- Raja Shyam Sen (qv)
- Mian Naurang Singh
- Raja SHYAM SEN, 38th Raja of Suket ca1620/ca1650, married (a), a Princess of Guler, married (b), a Princess of Bashahr, and had issue.
- Raja Ram Sen (by 1st wife) (qv)
- Duthain Prithi Singh (by 1st wife), Heir-Presumptive.
- Kumari (name unknown) (by 1st wife), married Raja Kalyan Chand of Bilaspur.
- Mian Hari Singh (by 2nd wife), married and had issue.
- Mian Gopal Singh, married and had issue.
- Raja Garur Sen (qv)
- Mian Rudra Singh
- Mian Pir Singh
- Raja RAM SEN, 39th Raja of Suket ca1650/1663, recognized as Tikka (Heir-Apparent); married and had issue.
- Raja Jit Sen (qv)
- Raja JIT SEN, 40th Raja of Suket 1663/1721, married and had issue, 22 children who all died in infancy. He died sp in 1721.
- Raja GARUR SEN, 41st Raja of Suket 1721/1748, born 1693, married (amongst others), a daughter of the Rana of Himli or Hatli, and had issue. He died 1748.
- Raja Bhikam Sen (qv)
- Mian Bahadur Singh
- Raja BHIKAM SEN, 42nd Raja of Suket 1748/1762, married a Rani from Nalagarh, and had issue. He died 1762.
- Raja Ranjit Sen (qv)
- Mian Kishan Singh, married and had issue. He died after 1775.
- Raja RANJIT SEN, 43rd Raja of Suket 1762/1791, married (a), a daughter of Raja Kirat Prakash of Sirmur, married (b), Rani from Guler, and had issue. He died 1791.
- Raja Bikram Sen II (by Sirmur Rani)
- Mian Amar Singh (by Guler Rani), died young.
- Mian Dhian Singh (by Guler Rani), died young.
- Raja BIKRAM SEN II, 44th Raja of Suket 1791/1838, married and had issue. He died 1838.
- Raja Ugar Sen II (qv)
- Mian Jagat Singh, exiled to Kullu in 1843, married and had issue.
- Mian Suraj Singh
- Mian Prakram Singh, married and had issue.
- Kunwar Mahendra Singh, married and had issue.
- Kumari Sarla Devi, married Maharajkumar Bijaya Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana from Nepal, and had issue.
- Kanwar Hemendra Singh Sen, married Kanwarani Kushal
Sen of Reh (see Nurpur),
and had issue. He died 25th March 1976.
- Kumari Kusum Kumari, born 8th October 1945, married Kunwar Devendra Singh of Dholbaha, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumari Neera Dadhwal, married 24th September 1990, the Thakursaheb of Gugleher, and has issue.
- Kumari Katyayini Thakur
- Kunwar Sanjay Singh Dadhwal, married Kunwarani Dr. Leena Dadhwal, and has issue.
- Kumari Kamakshi Dadhwal
- Kunwar Chaitanya Dadhwal
- Kumari Usha Devi
- Kumari Sneh Devi
- Kumari Karuna Kumari [HH Rani Karuna Kumari of Bilaspur], married HH Raja Kirti Chand of Bilaspur, and has issue, a son and daughter.
- Kunwar Brijendra Singh, married Kunwarani Hena
Devi of Kullu, and
has issue, two sons.
- Colonel (ret'd.) Kanwar Karunendra Singh Sen, born 15th August 1955 in Kullu, M.Sc. Defence Studies (Indian Army), he retired as Colonel from 2/5 G.R. (FF); married 1st December 1984 in New Delhi, Kanwarani Disha Singh Sen, and has issue, one son and one daughter.
- Kumari Kritika Singh Sen
- Kanwar Kritarth Singh Sen
- Kanwarani Hemawati Kanwar, married Kanwar Baldev
Singh of Kumharsain,
and had issue.
- Kunwar Virendra Singh, married and had issue.
- Kumari (name unknown), married Raja Bhir Singh, Raja of Nurpur.
- Raja UGAR SEN II, 45th Raja of Suket 1838/1876, in the early part of his reign, a revolt occurred in Kahlur, and though there was long-standing ill-feeling between the two states, he agreed to provide a loan of Rs. 25,000 to the Raja of Kahlur, with which he raised a regiment of Pathans for the suppression of the revolt, later he made an attempt to bring about a reconciliation betwen the Raja of Kahlur and his people, but while the proceedings were in progress the Raja of Kahlur died; married 1stly, Rani Kutlehari, married 2ndly, Rani Jamwali from Jammu, married 3rdly, Rani Patialawali from Patiala, married 4thly, 1846, a daughter of Thakur Kishan Singh of Kunihar, and had issue, he also left three or four natural sons. He died 1876.
- Raja Rudra Sen Bahadur (by Rani Jamwali) (qv)
- Mian Shiv Singh (by Rani Kutlehari)
- Mian Ram Singh (by Rani Kutlehari), married and had issue.
- Mian Ganga Singh, Naib-Tahsildar, 1915; Commander of the
Military Forces of Suket State
- Rani Sarda Devi (by Rani Kutlehari), married 1853, Raja Sri Singh of Chamba.
- Mian Narain Singh (by Rani Patialawali)
- Mian Gobardhan Singh (by a concubine)
- Mian Raghbir Singh (by a concubine)
- Mian Bhikam Singh (by a concubine)
- Mian Jowala Singh (by a concubine), married the natural daughter of Raja Balbir Sen of Mandi, and had issue.
- Mian Fateh Singh
- Raja RUDRA SEN Bahadur, 46th Raja of Suket 1876/1879 (deposed), born 1829, his rule became more oppressive and he was deposed for mis-management of the State, married (a), 1843, Rani Katochniji, married (b), 1853, Rani Garhwali, she died in Mandi, married (c), 1853, Rani Bilaspuri, married (d), 1864, a daughter of Rana Shiv Sharan Singh of Baghal, married (e), a daughter of Mian Jai Singh of Baghal, and had issue, as well as further issue by khawasis. He died November 1886 or 1887 at Hoshiarpur.
- Raja Arimardan Sen Bahadur (by Garhwali Rani) (qv)
- Kumari (name unknown) (by Rani Bilaspuri), born
1865, married 1883, Raja Surendra Bikram Prakash of Sirmur, and had issue.
- HH Raja Dasht Nikandan Sen Bahadur (by Rani Bilaspuri) (qv)
- Mian Shatrujit Singh, Manager of Kuthar State 1903/1908;
Wazir of Suket 1908/-
- Mian Bhagat Singh
- Mian Jamijit Singh
- Raja ARIMARDAN SEN Bahadur, 47th Raja of Suket in 1879 (one month), born 1863, married a daughter of Raja Ran Singh of Jaswan, she died in September 1911. He died sp in 1879 at Dharmsala.
- HH Raja DASHT NIKANDAN SEN Bahadur, 48th Raja of Suket 1879/1908, born 1866, succeeded 29th March 1879 (#1), and granted full ruling powers in 1884, during his reign many improvements were made in the state, a Dispensary was opened at Baned and a school was started at Bhojpur in 1893, a Post Office followed in 1900 and a Telegrah Office in 1908, the administration was reorganized and financial savings were made; the bridge over the Sutlej at Jeuri was completed in 1889, roads in the state were kept in good repair and new offices and granaries were built in the capital; married 1881, a daughter of Mian Jai Singh of Baghal, and had issue, as well as further issue by khawasis. He died 27th May 1908.
- HH Raja Bhim Sen Bahadur (qv)
- Rajkumari Haripriya Devi
- Rajkumari Sundarpriya Devi
- HH Raja Lakshman Sen Bahadur (qv)
- Kanwar Prithvi Singh (by a khawasi)
- Kanwar Shamsher Singh (by a khawasi)
- HH Raja Sir BHIM SEN Bahadur K.C.I.E. ((PHOTO), 49th Raja of Suket 1908/1919, born 26th November 1885, educated at Aitchison Chiefs' College, Lahore; during his reign many improvements were carried out, roads were widened, parks were laid out aesthetically and during the World War, he made generous donations to the war effort; K.C.I.E. [cr.1.1.1918], married 1stly, 1908, Kumari Padmawati Devi [HH Rani Padmawati Devi of Suket], died May 1959, daughter of Kanwar Surat Singh of Sirmur, married 2ndly, 1918, Rajkumari Radha Devi [HH Rani Radha Devi of Suket], daughter of Rana Raghubir Chand of Koti, died June 1939, married 3rdly, 1918, Kumari Tuleshwari Devi [HH Rani Tuleshwari Devi of Suket], daughter of Mian Kajan Singh aka Khazan Singh of Mohanpur in Koti. He died of pneumonia spm on 13th October 1919.
- Rajkumari (name unknown)
Kumari (by Rani Radha Devi), born in October 1917, died in
- HH Raja LAKSHMAN SEN Bahadur, 50th Raja of Suket 1919/1970, born 14th August 1895, succeeded 13th October 1919 (#2), and formally installed in March 1920, educated at Aitchison Chiefs' College, Lahore; he constructed many new buildings in his state, including, Lakhshman-Bhim Club, the Prince of Wales Orphan House, the Chief Court, the Infectious Diseases Ward in the K. E. Hospital, the Temple at Jaroli and the Swimming Tank; in 1924, he changed the name of the capital to Sundarnagar; Member of the Chamber of Princes; married 1923, HH Rani Kalawati Devi, daughter of Kanwar Guman Singh of Koti, and his second wife, a Kumari of Mahilog, and had issue. He died 30th July 1970 at Suket.
- Rajkumari (name unknown)
Kumari, born 6th January 1924, died 7th January 1925.
- HH Raja Lalit Sen Bahadur (qv)
- Rani Bhavna Kumari, born 1934, married 19th November 1961, Raja Dig Vijay Singh, Raja of Jagdishpur, and has issue.
- Rajkumar Shanti Kumar Singh, born in November 1935.
- Rajkumar Kamal Singh, born 11th February 1938 in Delhi, educated at Bishop Cotton School, Simla, earned his B.A. from Hoshiarpur in Punjab and his M.A.and L.L.B. from Kolkota, West Bengal; married 10th December 1960, Kumari Laxmi Devi, daughter of Kanwar Randip Singh of Sirmur, and his wife, Kanwarani Kalawati Kumari, and has issue, three children. (England, U.K.)
- Kumari Karuna Kumari, born 22nd April 1963 in Assam, educated at Welham Girls' School, Dehra Dun, Uttaranchal, gained a Diploma in Textile Designing from South Delhi Polytechnic; owns a restaurant in New Delhi called "Memories of China", married (div.), Thakur Sahib of Bankara, a Jagir near Dungarpur State in Rajasthan.
- Kanwar Brij Raj Singh, born 17th November 1963 at Assam,
educated at the Mayo College, Ajmer in Rajasthan, earned
his B.A. from St.Stephen's College, Delhi University, and
his M.B.A. from Dartmouth College, U.S.A.; married
Kanwarani Piyali [Gitanjali] Roy Singh, and has issue, two
children. (Dubai, U.A.E.)
- Uday Raj Singh, born 4th June 1994.
- Kumari Oona Raj Singh, born 11th September 1997.
- Kumari Geetika Devi, born 7th May 1968 at Assam, educated at Pratt Memorial College in Kolkota, West Bengal and at St. Bede's College, Simla, Himachal Pradesh; married 21st May 1996, Kanwar Anirudh Chand Katoch, son of Kanwar Vijay Chand Katoch of Bijapur, and has issue, one daughter.
- Kumari Jahanavi Katoch, born 24th October 2001.
- Rajkumar Rameshwar Singh, born 15th July 1939, married 22nd August 1968, Rajkumar-Rani Sheela Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Prem Singh of Jodhpur, and his wife, Rani Gulab Kanwar, daughter of Thakur Devi Singh of Doongri, and had issue.
- Yuvrani Kalpana Devi, born 9th August 1969, married 4th January 1996 in Delhi, Yuvaraj Ijyaraj Singh of Kotah, and has issue.
- Kunwar Jai Singh, born 21st September 1971, married 1999, Rajkumari Mriganka Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Shri Dalip Singhji Sahib of Jodhpur, and his wife, Rani Madhu Devi, and has issue.
- Kumari Indrani Devi, born 1st December 2001 in Delhi.
- Bhanwar Yashasvi Aryaman Singh
- Rajkumari Rama Devi, born 4th July 1943 in Suket, married
1stly, 6th May 1967 in Sitamau, Kunwar Brijraj Sinh of Sitamau, married 2ndly (div.),
Prof. Nagpal, married 3rdly, 6th November 1982 in
Washington, Dr. Shivnath Singh Chauhan, and has issue (by
- Shri Karan Singh Chauhan, born 19th September 1983 in Washington.
- Rajkumar Tulendra Singh, born 5th October 1948 in Suket, married 1977, Rajkumar-Rani Radha Kumari, and has issue.
- Kanwar Vikram Singh, born 1978.
- Kanwar Aditya Singh, born 1987.
- HH Raja LALIT SEN Bahadur,
51st Raja of Suket 1970/1985, born 21st April 1932 in Shimla,
married 21st February 1951, HH Rani Krishna Kumari, daughter
of HH Rai-i-Rayan Maharawal Shri Sir Lakshman Singhji Bahadur
of Dungarpur, and his
second wife, HH Maharani Manhar Kanwarba Sahiba, and had
issue. He died 18th October 1985 in Delhi.
- HH Raja Hari Sen Bahadur (qv)
- Rajkumari Shailaja Devi, born 13th November 1966.
- HH Raja HARI SEN Bahadur, 52nd Raja of Suket (see above)
- a son of a Raja of Suket, married and had issue.
- Kanwarani Leelawati Kumari, married Kanwar Harnam Singh of Sirmur, and had issue.
- Mian Surat Singh, married and had issue.
- Kumari (name unknown), married (as his second wife), Raja Bhawani Sen, Raja of Mandi.
- Kanwarani Padma Devi, married Kanwar Ajit Singh of Keonthal, and had issue.
- Thakurani Krishna Devi, married (as his fifth wife), Thakur Randhir Chand, Thakur of Madhan, and had issue.
- Kanwar Diwan Singh, married and had issue.
- Kumari Padam Prabha, married (as his first wife), Mian
Shyam Singh of Sangri, and had