|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Predecessor state of Thanjavur was founded
in 1535 by a military leader of the Vijayanagar kingdom. The marathas
conquered that dynasty in 1676 and ruled to 1855. Rulers were.....
- Raja VENKAJI RAO BHONSLE
[Ekoji], 1st Raja of Tanjore
1676/1684, born 1630, son of Raja Saheb Shahaji Bhonsle of Pune,
two wives and had nine concubines, and had issue. He died in 1684.
- Raja Shahji Rao Bhonsle (qv)
- Raja Serfoji Rao Bhonsle
- Raja Tukoji Rao Bhonsle (qv)
Raja SHAHJI RAO BHONSLE,
2nd Raja of Tanjore 1684/1712, died sp
aged 40 years.
Raja SERFOJI RAO BHONSLE I,
3rd Raja of Tanjore 1712/1728,
married three wives, died
in 1728 aged
- Raja Shahuji Rao Bhonsle (putative son) (qv)
Raja TUKOJI RAO BHONSLE,
4th Raja of Tanjore 1728/1736, married
five wives and
died in 1736 aged 59 years.
- Raja Venkoji II Baba Saheb Bhonsle (qv)
- Raja Pratap Rao Bhonsle (by Rani Annapurnabai)(qv)
- Shrimant Sayaji Bhonsle
Raja VENKOJI II BABA SAHEB
BHONSLE, 5th Raja of Tanjore 1736/1737,
(amongst others), Rani Sujan Bai
(qv), and had issue. He died in 1737.
- Raja Shahuji Rao Bhonsle (qv)
- Raja Pratap Rao Bhonsle (qv)
Rani Sujan Bai, 6th
Rani of Tanjore 1737/1739
Raja SHAHUJI RAO BHONSLE,
7th Raja of Tanjore in 1739
Raja PRATAP RAO BHONSLE,
8th Raja of Tanjore 1739/1763, married five
and 5th wives committed sati) and had seven concubines by whom
issue. He died 16th December 1763.
- Raja Tuljaji Rao Bhonsle (qv)
- Raja Amir Rao Bhonsle (by a concubine)
Raja TULJAJI RAO BHONSLE,
9th Raja of Tanjore 1763/1787,
married five wives (two
committed sati), and had adoptive issue.
He died in 1787 aged 49 years.
- (A) HH Raja Serfoji Rao Bhonsle II (qv)
Raja AMIR RAO BHONSLE,
10th Raja of Tanjore 1787 and 1793/1798
married and had
- Shrimant Prataprao Amirrao Bhonsle, married 1812.
HH Raja SERFOJI RAO
BHONSLE II, 11th Raja of Tanjore 1787/1793
son of Raja Tuljaji Rao Bhonsle, he was allowed to
assume the title of Highness in 1811 by the Board of
Commissioners for the Affairs of India; married
three wives and 24 concubines, including Rani Avu Bai Saheba, died 21st
June 1864, and
had issue. He
died 8th March 1832.
- HH Raja Shivaji Rao Bhonsle (by Rani Avu Bai)(qv)
- Rajkumari (name unknown), married and had issue.
- HH Rani Kamatchi Ammah, married 2nd
May 1831 (#2), (her uncle) HH Raja
Shivaji Rao Bhonsle (qv)
HH Raja SHIVAJI RAO BHONSLE,
12th Raja of Tanjore 1832/1855,
(a), HH Rani Kamatchi Ammah (his niece, see above),
married (b), HH Rani Jeejamba Bai, married (c), Rani Kumaramba
Bai (both living February
1909), but only fathered two daughters, as well as six natural sons. He
followed as Raja of Tanjore by an adopted son, who is ancestor of the
Raja's of Tanjore, though the state lapsed to the East India Company,
his private property was dispersed to the rightful heirs. He died 30th
- Rajkumari Rajes Bai (by Rani Sydamba Bai), married
Sakharam Saheb. She died 26th December 1856.
- Rajkumari Muktamba Bai (by Rani Sydamba Bai), born about
1846, married February 1860, Sakharam Saheb, and had issue, three
children, as well as an adoptive son. She died 31st January 1885.
- (A) Shambhu
Singh, married and had adoptive issue. He died
Raja BABAJI RAO
Chattrapati, Raja of Tanjore (see above)