LOCATION: Saurashtra AREA: 1,080.03 kmē VILLAGES: 102 POPULATION: 44,280 (1941)RELIGION: Hindu
REVENUE: Rs 7,50,000 DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Jhala SEAT: Ranjit Vilas Palace ACCESSION: 15th February 1948
AGENCY: Kathiawar Agency 1822/1924 then Western India States Agency 1924/1944 PRIVY PURSE: Rs 180,000
PRESENT RULER: HH Maharana Raj Saheb Dr. DIGVIJAYSINHJI, Maharana Raj Saheb of Wankaner since 22nd May 2007. (Ranjit Vilas Palace, Wankaner - 363621, Gujarat, India)
born 20th August 1932 (#3 p.325), educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1949); married 1stly (div.), Maharajkumari Pratap Kumari [HH Pratap Kumari of Alwar], daughter of HH Shri Sawai Maharaja Sir Tej Singhji Dev Bahadur of Alwar, and his wife, HH Maharani Chand Kumari, married 2ndly, 1982, HH Maharani Vibha Devi, born 1948, and has issue.
- Yuvaraj Sahib Kesri Sinhji (by 2nd marriage), born 5th November 1982, married 17th November 2012, Rajkumari Yogini Kumari, daughter of Maharaj Shri Daivat Singhji Bahadur of Sirohi, and his wife, Rani Kirti Kumari.
- Raj Saheb SARTANJI
PRATHIRAJJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1605/1632,
son of K.S. Prathirajji Rajsinhji, son of K.S.
Rajsinhji Chandrasinhji of Dhrangadhra; married and
- Raj Saheb MANSINHJI SULTANJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1632/1653
- Raj Saheb RAISINHJI MANSINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1653/1679
- Raj Saheb CHANDRASINHJI I RAISINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1679/1721
- Raj Saheb PRITHVIRAJJI CHANDRASINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1721/1728
- Raj Saheb KESARISINHJI I CHANDRASINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1728/1749
- Raj Saheb BHAROJI KESARISINHJI [Bhavaji], Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1749/1784, married (amongst others), Rani Kunkabai Sahiba, daughter of Kumar Shri Sagramji Kumbhoji Sahib of Gondal, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Raisinhji Bharoji, married and had issue. He died vp before 1784.
- Raj Saheb Kesarisinhji II Raisinhji (qv)
- Raj Saheb KESARISINHJI II RAISINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1784/1787
- Raj Saheb CHANDRASINHJI II KESARINHJI [Raj Dosaji], Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1787/1839
- Raj Saheb VAKHATSINHJI CHANDRASINHJI, Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1839/1842, married and had issue, 8 sons.
- Kumar Shri Jaswantsinhji Vakhatsinhji, married and had issue. He died vp before 1842.
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb Shri Banesinhji Jaswantsinhji (qv)
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb Shri BANESINHJI JASWANTSINHJI, Maharana Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1842/1881, born 1842, installed 1861, married (amongst others), HH Maharani Shri Bajirajba, daughter of Thakore Saheb Meruji Modji, 5th Thakore Saheb of Gavridad, married 5thly, Bai Sahib Shri Jamba Kunverba Sahib [HH Maharani Bama Shri Jamba Kunverba Sahib of Wankaner], daughter of Thakore Sahib Shri Vibhaji Vajerajji, 3rd Thakore Saheb of Sajjanpur in Morvi, and had issue. He died 12th June 1881 (#1).
- Capt. HH Maharana Raj Saheb Shri Sir Amarsinhji Banesinhji [aka Gangubha] (by the fifth wife) (qv)
- Maharajkumari (name unknown), married (as his first wife), HH Maharana Shri Sir Chhatrasinhji Gambhirsinhji of Rajpipla.
- Capt. HH Maharana Raj Saheb Shri Sir AMARSINHJI BANESINHJI K.C.S.I., K.C.I.E., Maharana Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1881/1954, born 4th January 1879 (#2), educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; he succeeded to the gadi on 12th June 1881 (#3 p.316) and was invested with full ruling powers on 18th March 1899 (#3 p.325); he was conferred with the Honorary rank of Captain during WWI, and made permanent in 1918, made a K.C.I.E. [cr.1911] and K.C.S.I. [cr.1936], married 1stly, 1896, HH Maharani Shri Gulab Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of Shri Rajadhiraj Sir Naharsinhji Sahib Bahadur, Raja of Shahpura, married 2ndly, HH Maharani Shri Devkunverba Sahiba, daughter of HH Thakore Sahib Shri Bawajiraj Mehramansinhji Sahib, Thakore Sahib of Rajkot, married 3rdly, HH Maharani Shri Padmarajkunverba Sahiba, a lady from Mandwa, married 4thly, HH Maharani Shri Phul Kunverba Sahiba, daughter of Thakore Sahib Shri Vakhatsinhji Meghrajji Sahib, Thakore Sahib of Vala, and had issue. He died 1954.
- HH Maharani Takhat Kunverba Saheba, married 1916, HH Maharaja Purna Chandra Bhanj Deo of Mayurbhanj.
- Maharajkumari Manher Kunverba [HH Maharani Kusum Kunwari of Lunawada], married Col. HH Maharaja Sri Virbhadrasinhji Ranjitsinhji of Lunawada, and had issue.
- Rani Vilas Kunverba, married Raol Shri Sajjansinhji Takhatsinhji of Mansa, and had issue.
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb Pratapsinhji Amarsinhji (qv)
- Maharaj Saheb Chandra Bhanu Singhji, married Rani Kumod Manjari Devi, daughter of Lalsaheb Girish Chandra Bhanj Deo of Mayurbhanj, and his second wife, Rani Raviraj Kumari Devi, and had issue, four children.
- Kumar Shri Jitendra Singh, married Camilla.
- Kumar Shri Bhartendrasinhji Chandrabhanusinhji, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1947).
- Rajkumari Bhagyawanti Devi, born 1st February 1945 in Wankaner, Gujarat; married 24th November 1968 in Wankaner, Maharaj Devendra Pal Singh of Jhabua, and has issue, one son.
- Maharajkumar Rasikkumarsinhji Jhala, married Baijilal Chandrawali Kumari, daughter of Rajkumar Pratap Singh, Yuvaraj Saheb of Banera, and had issue.
- Kumar Shri Janakkumarsinhji Rasikkumarsinhji
Jhala, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb PRATAPSINHJI AMARSINHJI, Maharana Raj Saheb of Wankaner 1954/2007, born 12th April 1907 (#3 p.325), married 5th February 1929, HH Maharani Rama Kunver, born 20th February 1911, died 10th February 1991, daughter of HH Rai-i-Rayan Maharawal Shri Bijay Singhji Bahadur of Dungarpur, and his first wife, HH Maharani Devendra Kumari, and had issue, two sons and three daughters. He died 22nd May 2007.
- Maharajkumari Padmini Kumari [Rani Sahiba Padmini Kunverba of Kutch], married Maharajkumar Saheb Himmatsinhji Vijayrajji of Kutch, and had issue. She died 4th December 2006 at Kutch after a long illness.
- Maharajkumari Nalini Kumari, married Maharajkumar Shivbhadrasinhji Krishnakumarsinhji Gohil of Bhavnagar.
- HH Maharani Mohini Kumari, married HH Maharaja Govind Singh of Bijawar, born 1934, died 1983, and has issue.
- HH Maharaja Jai Singhji of Bijawar.
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb Dr. Digvijaysinhji (qv)
- Maharajkumar Dr. Ranjitsinhji (Photo), born 19th February 1939 (#3), educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot (1954); an expert on Indian wildlife and natural history, he has authored many books, including "Beyond the Tiger: Portraits of Asian Wildlife", joined the Indian Administrative Service in 1961, and held several environment-related jobs. As Forests and Tourism Secretary to Madhya Pradesh, he was responsible for the creation of 14 national parks and 11 wildlife sanctuaries. Later, he drafted the key Wild Life (Protection) Act of 1972, and served as India's first Director of Wildlife Preservation. He is perhaps best known for his work on Project Tiger, but he also played a crucial role in bringing back from the brink of extinction, the endangered central and eastern populations of the barasingha or swamp deer, (the eastern barasingha, cervus d. Ranjitsinhi, is named after him), married Maharajkumarani Kalpnakumari Ranjitsinhji Jhala, born 28th February 1945, daughter of Shri Laxmansinghji Dilipsinghji Rathore of Sailana, and has issue.
- HH Maharana Raj Saheb Dr. DIGVIJAYSINHJI, Maharana Raj Saheb of Wankaner (see above)