|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The Kingdom was founded on 17th December 1907, and it became
independent of India on 8th
August 1949. Rulers were...
Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sir UGJEN WANGCHUK, 1st Druk Gyalpo of
Bhutan 1907/1926, born 1862,
of Jigme Namgyal, he was an able administrator and a wise diplomat. He
undertook several reforms and introduced the system of western
He opened many schools. He signed a new Anglo-Bhutanese Treaty with
India Raj in 1910. Tongsa Penlop, K.C.I.E., K.C.S.I., married
Queen Ashi Tsendue Lhamo, and had issue. He died 21st August 1926 (#4).
Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Jigme Wangchuk (qv)
Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri JIGME WANGCHUK, 2nd Druk Gyalpo of
Bhutan 1926/1952, born 1906,
educated in English,
and Buddhist literature, he signed the Treaty of perpetual peace and
between the government of Independent India and Bhutan in Darjeeling,
8th August 1949, married 1stly, HM Queen Ashi Phuntsho Chhoedon,
born 1911, died 24th August 2003, married
2ndly, HM Queen Pemadecchen, and had issue. He died 30th March 1952 at
- HM Druk Gyalpo
Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (by Queen Choden) (qv)
- HRH Prince Namgyal Wangchuk (by Queen Pema), born 1943.
- HRH Princess Chokyi Wangchuk (by Queen Pema), married
(see below), married 2ndly, Topga Rinpoche, died 19th September 1997 in
16th October 1997 in Bhutan.
- HRH Princess Dikki/Dekyi Wangchuk (by Queen Pema), born
- HRH Princess Pema Wangchuk (by Queen Pema)
- HM Druk Gyalpo JIGME DORJI WANGCHUK, 3rd Druk Gyalpo
Bhutan 1952/1972, born 1928,
Gyalpo in 1963, a far-sighted monarch, he introduced land reforms
a landholding ceiling of 30 acres. He distributed lands to land-less
He put a ban on slavery and serfdom. He established a High court and
the judicial system. In 1953, he established the Tshogdu or
assembly - Bhutan’s first unicameral Parliament. He established the
Advisory Council in 1963. He created Bhutan’s first Council of
in 1968. During his reign, 1770 Km of roads were constructed, the
of schools rose to 102 and 6 hospitals were established, married 1951,
HM Queen Ashi Kesang Chhoeden Dorji and had issue, also had
by a Tibetan concubine named Yangki. He died 21st July 1972 in Nairobi,
- HRH Princess Ashi Sonam
Choden Wangchuk, born 26th July 1953 (#3),
- HRH Princess Ashi Dechen Wangmo Wangchuk, born 8th
- HM Druk Gyalpo Jigme Singye Wangchuk (qv)
- HRH Princess Ashi Pem Pem Wangchuk, born 12th March 1959.
- HRH Princess Ashi Kesang Wangmo Wangchuk, born 11th May
- HM Druk Gyalpo
JIGME SINGYE WANGCHUK, 4th Druk Gyalpo of
Bhutan 1972/2006, born 11th November 1955, briefly
studied in India and the
and returned to the Ugyen Wangchuck Academy in Paro, Bhutan in 1970,
Crown Prince and ponlop of Tongsa by his father in May 1972,
enthroned on 2nd June 1974, but not before reports of a plot to
the new Druk Gyalpo before his coronation could take place and to set
to the Tashichhodzong (Fortress of the Glorious Religion, the seat of
in Thimphu) were heard, Yangki was the alleged force behind the plot,
was uncovered three months before the coronation, thirty persons were
including high government and police officials; he abdicated in favour
his son on 14th December 2006; he married, 1979
and again 31st October 1988 in a public ceremony, four sisters,
of Yab Ugyen Dorji, and his wife, Yum Thuiji Zam, (a) HM Queen Ashi
born 29th December 1955, (b) HM Queen Ashi Tshering Pem, born
December 1957, (c) HM Queen Ashi Tshering Yandon, born 21st
1959, (d) HM Queen Ashi Sangay Choden, born 11th May 1963, and
issue, five sons and five daughters.(#1)
Druk Gyalpo Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering Yandon) (qv)
- HRH Princess Chimi Yangzon Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
- HRH Princess Sonam Dechen Wangchuk (by Ashi Dorji
- HRH Princess Dechen Yangzon Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
- HRH Princess Kesang Choden Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
- HRH Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuk (by Ashi Dorji Wangmo),
educated at Choate Rosemary High School and at St Peter's College,
- HRH Prince Khamsum Singye Wangchuk (by Ashi Sangay
- HRH Prince Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
- HRH Princess Euphelma Choden Wangchuk (by Ashi Sangay
- HRH Prince Ugyen Jigme Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering Pem),
Druk Gyalpo JIGME KHESAR NAMGYAL WANGCHUK, 5th Druk Gyalpo of
Bhutan (see above)
- Raja Ugyen Dorji, Gongzim 1907/ca1913, married and
had issue. He
died about 1913.
- Raja Sonam Tobgye Dorji, born 1896, Gongzim (chief
Minister of Bhutan 1917/1952, married Rani Chuni Wangmo Namgyal
of Sikkim and had issue. He died
- Tashi Dorji
- Jigme Palden Dorji, born 1919, lonchen, Prime
1955/1964, married Tessla Tsarong and had issue. He died 5th April 1964
in Phunchholing, Bhutan.
- Paljor J. Dorji
- Kalden Dorji
- Tobgye Dorji, married (div.) Hon. Manjula Sinha, born
1947, died 1996,
daughter of the 3rd Baron Sinha of Raipur, and has issue.
- Jigme Palden Dorji [born as Jigme Tobgye, later
re-named after his
- Ugyen Dorji [Phodang Rinpoche or Rimp], born 1930,
Choki Wangchuk, married 2ndly, Savitri. He died March 2006.
- Ashi Kesang Choden Dorji, married 1951, HM
Gyalpo Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (see above).
- Dasho Lhendup Dorji, born 6th October 1935 at
Bhutan House, Kalimpong, educated at Cornell University, U.S.A.,
graduating in 1959; served as Postmaster General, Paro Thrimpon, Deputy
and later Secretary General of the country's Development Wing; Lonchen
of Bhutan in 1964 (July to November). He died of cancer on 15th April
- Chumed Zhalgno
Dasho Jamyang of the Tamzhing Choeje family, married Ashi Decho,
Ashi Yeshey Choden, (sister of Druk Gyalpo Gongsar Ugyen Wangchuck),
and had issue.
- HM Queen Ashi Phuntsho Chhoedon, born 1911 at Wangdue
Choling Palace, married HH
Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Jigme Wangchuk (see above), and had issue.
She died 24th August 2003 at Dechenchholing.
- Namgyal Bahadur, uncle of the Druk Gyalpo, executed
in 1964 for
his part in the assassination of the Prime Minister, Jigme Palden Dorji.