|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: The Kingdom was founded on 17th
December 1907, and it became independent of India on 8th
August 1949. Rulers were...
- HH Maharaja
Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Sir UGJEN WANGCHUK, 1st Druk
Gyalpo of Bhutan 1907/1926, born 1862, son of Jigme
Namgyal, he was an able administrator and a wise
diplomat. He undertook several reforms and introduced
the system of western education. He opened many
schools. He signed a new Anglo-Bhutanese Treaty with
British India Raj in 1910. Tongsa Penlop,
K.C.I.E., K.C.S.I., married HM Queen Ashi Tsendue
Lhamo, and had issue. He died 21st August 1926 (#4).
- HH Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri Jigme Wangchuk
- HH Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri Sri JIGME WANGCHUK,
2nd Druk Gyalpo of Bhutan 1926/1952, born 1906,
educated in English, Hindi and Buddhist literature, he
signed the Treaty of perpetual peace and friendship
between the government of Independent India and Bhutan
in Darjeeling, on 8th August 1949, married 1stly, HM
Queen Ashi Phuntsho Chhoedon, born 1911, died 24th
August 2003, married 2ndly, HM Queen Pemadecchen, and
had issue. He died 30th March 1952 at Bomthang.
Druk Gyalpo Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (by Queen Choden)
- HRH Prince Namgyal Wangchuk (by Queen Pema), born
- HRH Princess Chokyi Wangchuk (by Queen Pema),
married 1955, Ugjen Rinpoche Dorji (see below),
married 2ndly, Topga Rinpoche, died 19th September
1997 in Delhi, cremated 16th October 1997 in Bhutan.
- HRH Princess Dikki/Dekyi Wangchuk (by Queen Pema),
born about 1950.
- HRH Princess Pema Wangchuk (by Queen Pema)
- HM Druk Gyalpo JIGME DORJI WANGCHUK, 3rd Druk
Gyalpo of Bhutan 1952/1972, born 1928, became HM Druk
Gyalpo in 1963, a far-sighted monarch, he introduced
land reforms putting a landholding ceiling of 30
acres. He distributed lands to land-less citizens. He
put a ban on slavery and serfdom. He established a
High court and reorganized the judicial system. In
1953, he established the Tshogdu or National
assembly - Bhutan’s first unicameral Parliament. He
established the Royal Advisory Council in 1963. He
created Bhutan’s first Council of Ministers in 1968.
During his reign, 1770 Km of roads were constructed,
the number of schools rose to 102 and 6 hospitals were
established, married 1951, HM Queen Ashi
Kesang Chhoeden Dorji and had issue, also had issue by
a Tibetan concubine named Yangki. He died 21st July
1972 in Nairobi, Kenya.(#2)
- HRH Princess Ashi Sonam Choden
Wangchuk, born 26th July 1953 (#3), Minister of
- HRH Princess Ashi Dechen Wangmo Wangchuk, born 8th
- HM Druk Gyalpo Jigme Singye Wangchuk (qv)
- HRH Princess Ashi Pem Pem Wangchuk, born 12th
- HRH Princess Ashi Kesang Wangmo Wangchuk, born
11th May 1961.
- HM Druk Gyalpo JIGME
SINGYE WANGCHUK, 4th Druk Gyalpo of Bhutan
1972/2006, born 11th November 1955, briefly studied in
India and the United Kingdom and returned to the Ugyen
Wangchuck Academy in Paro, Bhutan in 1970, created
Crown Prince and ponlop of Tongsa by his
father in May 1972, formally enthroned on 2nd June
1974, but not before reports of a plot to assassinate
the new Druk Gyalpo before his coronation could take
place and to set fire to the Tashichhodzong (Fortress
of the Glorious Religion, the seat of government in
Thimphu) were heard, Yangki was the alleged force
behind the plot, which was uncovered three months
before the coronation, thirty persons were arrested,
including high government and police officials; he
abdicated in favour of his son on 14th December 2006;
he married, 1979 (privately) and again 31st October
1988 in a public ceremony, four sisters, daughters of
Yab Ugyen Dorji, and his wife, Yum Thuiji Zam, (a) HM
Queen Ashi Dorji Wangmo, born 29th December
1955, (b) HM Queen Ashi Tshering Pem, born
29th December 1957, (c) HM Queen Ashi Tshering
Yandon, born 21st June 1959, (d) HM Queen Ashi
Sangay Choden, born 11th May 1963, and has issue, five
sons and five daughters.(#1)
- HM Druk Gyalpo Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuk (by
Ashi Tshering Yandon) (qv)
- HRH Princess Chimi Yangzon Wangchuk (by Ashi
Tshering Pem), born 10th January 1980.
- HRH Princess Sonam Dechen Wangchuk (by Ashi Dorji
Wangmo), born 5th August 1981.
- HRH Princess Dechen Yangzon Wangchuk (by Ashi
Tshering Yandon), born 2nd December 1981.
- HRH Princess Kesang Choden Wangchuk (by Ashi
Tshering Pem), born 23rd January 1982.
- HRH Prince Jigyel Ugyen Wangchuk (by Ashi Dorji
Wangmo), born 16th July 1984, educated at Choate
Rosemary High School and at St Peter's College,
- HRH Prince Khamsum Singye Wangchuk (by Ashi Sangay
Choden), born 6th October 1985.
- HRH Prince Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
Yandon), born 14th April 1986.
- HRH Princess Euphelma Choden Wangchuk (by Ashi
Sangay Choden), born 1993.
- HRH Prince Ugyen Jigme Wangchuk (by Ashi Tshering
Pem), born 1994.
- HM Druk Gyalpo JIGME KHESAR NAMGYAL WANGCHUK,
5th Druk Gyalpo of Bhutan (see above)
- Raja Ugyen Dorji, Gongzim 1907/ca1913,
married and had issue. He died about 1913.
- Raja Sonam Tobgye Dorji, born 1896, Gongzim (chief
chamberlain), Chief Minister of Bhutan
1917/1952, married Rani Chuni Wangmo Namgyal
of Sikkim and
had issue. He died September 1953.
- Tashi Dorji
- Jigme Palden Dorji, born 1919, lonchen, Prime
of Bhutan 1955/1964, married Tessla Tsarong and
had issue. He died 5th April 1964 (#2)
in Phunchholing, Bhutan.
- Paljor J. Dorji
- Kalden Dorji
- Tobgye Dorji, married (div.) Hon. Manjula
Sinha, born 1947, died 1996, daughter of the 3rd
Baron Sinha of Raipur, and has issue.
- Jigme Palden Dorji [born as Jigme Tobgye,
later re-named after his grandfather], born
- Ugyen Dorji [Phodang Rinpoche or Rimp], born
1930, married 1stly,1955, Choki Wangchuk, married
2ndly, Savitri. He died March 2006.
- Ashi Kesang Choden Dorji, married 1951,
HM Druk Gyalpo Jigme Dorji Wangchuk (see above).
- Dasho Lhendup Dorji, born 6th October
1935 at Bhutan House, Kalimpong, educated at
Cornell University, U.S.A., graduating in 1959;
served as Postmaster General, Paro Thrimpon,
Deputy and later Secretary General of the
country's Development Wing; Lonchen or
Acting Prime Minister of Bhutan in 1964 (July to
November). He died of cancer on 15th April 2007.
- Chumed Zhalgno Dasho Jamyang of the Tamzhing Choeje
family, married Ashi Decho, daughter of Ashi Yeshey
Choden, (sister of Druk Gyalpo Gongsar Ugyen
Wangchuck), and had issue.
Queen Ashi Phuntsho Chhoedon, born 1911 at Wangdue
Choling Palace, married HH Maharaja Sri Sri Sri Sri
Sri Jigme Wangchuk (see above), and had issue. She
died 24th August 2003 at Dechenchholing.
- Namgyal Bahadur, uncle of the Druk Gyalpo,
executed in 1964 for his part in the assassination of
the Prime Minister, Jigme Palden Dorji.