|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The dynasty was founded in 1393, the Empire was declared
in 1897 and annexed by the Japanese 1910/1945. Republic
declared in 1948. Rulers were...
- King TAEJO,
1st King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1393/1398, born
1335 as Prince Yi Songgye, married and had issue. He
- King Chongjong (Yi Panggwa) (qv)
- King Taejong (Yi Pangwon) (qv)
- Prince Yi Pangbon, died 1397/1398
- Prince Yi Pangsok, died 1397/1398
- Prince Yi Panggan
2nd King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1398/1400, born
1357, died 1419.
3rd King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1400/1418, born
1367, married and had issue. He died 1423.
4th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1418/1450, born
1397, married and had issue. He died 1450.
- King Munjong (Yi Hang) (qv)
- King Sejo (Yi Suyang) (qv)
- Prince Yi Anpyong, born 1418, died 1453.
- Prince Yi Kumsong, died 1457.
5th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1450/1452, born
1414, married and had issue. He died 1452.
6th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1452/1455, born
1440, died 1457.
7th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1455/1468, born
1417, married and had issue. He died 1468.
- King Yejong (qv)
- Prince Yi Tokchong, married and had issue.
8th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1468/1469, born
1450, died 1469.
9th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1469/1494, born
1457, married and had issue. He died 1494.
- King Yonsan (qv)
- King Chungjong (qv)
10th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1494/1506, died
11th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1506/1544, married
and had issue. He died 1544.
- King Injong (qv)
- King Myongjong (qv)
- Prince Yi Tokhung, married and had issue.
12th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1544/1545, died
13th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1545/1567, died
14th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1567/1608, born
1552, married and had issue. He died 1608.
- King Kwanghae (qv)
- Prince Yi Wonjong, married and had issue.
- Prince Yi Imhae
- Prince Yi Yongchang (14th son), born 1606, died
15th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1608/1623, died
16th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1623/1649, married
and had issue. He died 1649.
- King Hyojong (qv)
- Prince Yi Sohyon, born 1612, died 1645.
- Prince Yi Inp'yong, married and had issue.
- Six generations
- Prince Yi Namyon'gun, adopted by Prince Yi
Unsin'gun (see below).
17th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1649/1659, married
and had issue. He died 1659.
18th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1659/1674, married
and had issue.
- King Sukchong (Yi Sun) (qv)
19th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1674/1720, born
1660, married 1stly, Queen Ingyong, married 2ndly,
Queen Inhyon, married 3rdly, Queen Inwon, born 1687,
died sp in 1757, married 4thly, Lady Chang,
married 5thly, Lady Choe, and had issue. He died 12th
- King Kyongjong (Yi Kyon) (by Lady Chang)(qv)
- King Yongjo (Prince Yonin) (Yi Eum) (by Lady
20th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1720/1724, born
1688, married 1stly, Queen Soui, married 2ndly, Queen
Oo. He died 11th October 1724.
King YONG JO,
21st King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1724/1776, born
1694, married 1stly, Queen Chongsong, born 1692, died
sp on 13th May 1757, married 2ndly, Lady So,
Queen Chongsun, born 1745, died sp in 1805,
Regent 1800/1804, married 3rdly, Lady Yi, married
4thly, Lady Sonhui, married 5thly, Lady Cho, married
6thly, Mun, and had issue, two sons and twelve
daughters. He died 22nd April 1776.
- Crown Prince Hyojang (Yi Kyongui) (by Lady Yi),
born 1719, married Queen Hyosun, born 1715, died
1751. He died sp in 1728.
- Princess Yi Hwasun (by Lady Yi), married Prince
Wolsong. She died 1748.
- Princess Yi Hwapyong (by Lady Sonhui), born 1733,
married Prince Kumsong. She died in June 1748.
- Crown Prince Sado (Yi Chongjo) (by Lady Sonhui),
born 13th February 1735, married 1stly, 21st
February 1744, Lady Hong Hyegyong-Gung,
(posthumously created Queen Kyongui), born 6th
August 1735 in Pangsongbang, died 1815, married
2ndly, Lady Yongyi, married 3rdly, Ping-ae, and had
issue. He died 12th July 1762, buried 10th September
- Prince Yi Uiso, born in September 1750, died in
- King Chongjong (Yi Sung) (qv)
- Princess Yi Chongyon, born 31st August 1754.
- Princess Yi Ch'ongson, born in September 1756.
- Prince Yi Unon'gun (by Lady Hong), married and
- Prince Chunggye, Taewongun, married
and had issue.
- King Chuljong (Yi Chung) (qv)
- Prince Yi Unsin'gun, married and had issue.
- Prince Yi Namyon'gun, adopted, sixth in
descent from Prince Inp'yong, son of King Injo
(see above), married and had issue.
- Imperial Prince Yi Heungson, born 1820, Heungseon Heoneu
Taewongun [cr.1908], Regent of Korea
1864/1873, exiled in 1882 until 1886, married
and had issue. He died 1898.
- HIH Prince Yi Hui [Lee Jaemyon], born
1845, Prince Wan Heung Gun [cr.1900], Prince
Heung Chungwang [cr.1910], 2nd Head of
Unhyun Palace [Unhyeongung], married and had
issue. He died 1912.
- HH Crown Prince Yi Jun Yong, Prince
Yeongseon Gun [cr.1910], Prince Wan Syuk
Gun, born 1870, 3rd Head of Unhyun Palace,
- The Lord Yi Myeong-bok (Jaehwang) (Yi
Myeong-bok), later succeeded as HIM
Emperor Kojong [Yi Hyong] (qv)
- Prince Yi Chaeson
- Princess Hwawan, born 1738.
- Princess Hwahyop
King CHONG JONG,
22nd King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1776/1800, born in
October 1752, married 25th February 1762, Lady Kim
(Queen Hyo-eui), born 1753, died sp in 1821,
married 2ndly, Lady Pak, born 1770, died 1822, and had
issue. He died 18th August 1800.
- HRH Prince Yi Munhyo
- King Sunjo (Yi Kwang) (qv)
23rd King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1800/1834, born
1789, married (a), Lady Kin (Queen Sun-won), born
1789, died 1857, Regent of Korea 1834/1840 and
1849/1850, and had issue. He died 13th December 1834.
- HRH Prince Yi Ikchong, married Lady Cho (Queen Sin
Chong), Regent of Korea 1864/1866, and had
- King Honjong (Yi Whan) (qv)
King HON JONG,
24th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1834/1849, born
1825/1827, married 1stly, Lady Kim (Queen Hyo Hyun),
married 2ndly, Lady Hong (Queen Chong Mok Ta Bi). He
died sp on 25th July 1849.
King CHUL JONG,
25th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1849/1864, born
1831, married Lady Kim (Queen Nyung Sun), and had
issue. He died spm on 21st January 1864.
- Daughter, married Prince Kumnung [Pak Yong Hyo],
born 1861, died 1939.
HIM Emperor KOJONG,
26th King of Korea (Chosun Dynasty) 1864/1907
(abdicated), born 8th September 1852, HM King (Chonha)
of Korea 1864/1897, HIM Emperor Gwangmu (Daehanjeguk
Gwangmu Daehwangje Pyeha) of Korea 1897/1907, he
struggled to maintain control against firstly the
Russians after 1894, and then the Japanese after 1905,
he was responsible for the start of industrialization
in Korea, forced to abdicate in favour of his son in
1907 by the Japanese; married 1stly, 1866, Lady Yi,
married 2ndly, 1866, Lady Min Hung Yo (HM Queen
Myeongseong), born 1851, died 8th October 1895,
married 3rdly, Queen Sunheon, born 1854, died 1911,
married 4thy 1896, Lady Om, died 1909, married 5thly,
Lady ....., died 1929 and had issue. He died 21st
- HH Prince Wanhwa (by Lady Yi), born 1867, died
- HH Prince Wonja (by Lady Min), born 1871, died
- HIH Emperor Sunjong [Yi Ch'ok] (qv)
- HIH Prince Yi Ko (Yi Kang) [Ui'chinwang] (fifth
son, by Lady Yang, a lady-in-waiting), born 30th
March 1877 in Seoul, special ambassador to the Meiji
Emperor in 1894/1895, educated briefly in the United
States; he received his given name of Yi Kang and
was titled Prince Uihwa with the style of His Royal
Highness in 1891, elevated in 1899 to the title and
style of HIH The Prince Imperial Eui of Korea;
served as the president of the Korean Red Cross
1906/1910; married 14 wives, (amongst others) 1898,
Lady Kim Sudeok (Princess Deogin), born 22nd
December 1880, died 14th January 1964, daughter of
1st Baron Kim Sajun, and had issue, thirteen sons
and nine daughters. He died August 1955 at Seongrak
Manor in Seoul, and was buried at Hongyu-reung in
Namyang-ju near Seoul. He had a total of 13 sons and
- HIH Prince Yi Kin (eldest son, by Lady Sugwan),
born 28th October 1909 in Seoul, acquired Japanese
citizenship, thereby renouncing his Korean legacy;
married 1931, HIH Princess Matsudaira Yoshiko,
born 6th October 1911 in Tokyo, daughter of Capt.
Matsudaira Yutaka, and his wife, a daughter of
Marquis Nabeshima Naohiro, and had issue. He died
- HIH Prince Yi Chu, born 14th August 1932 in
- HIH Prince Yi Ki, born 4th March 1935 in
- HIH Princess Yi Haruko, born 19th December
1938 in Tokyo.
- HIH Prince Yi Wu (second son, by Lady Suin),
born 15th November 1912 in Tokyo, educated at a
military school in Tokyo, 4th Head of Unhyun
Palace, adopted in 1917 by HH Crown Prince Yi Jun
Yong, he was forced to serve in the Japanese Army
stationed in China, married 2nd May 1935, Lady
Sanshu (Park Chanju), born 11th December 1914 in
Seoul, died 1995, a granddaughter of Marquis Park
Yeonghyo (son-in-law of King Chuljong), and had
issue. He died 6th August 1945 at Hiroshima and
was buried in Hongneung Imperial tomb on 15th
August, the day of Korean Liberation.
- HIH Prince Yi Sei [Yi Chung], born 23rd April
1936 in Seoul, 5th Head of Unhyun Palace 1945/-.
- HIH Prince Yi Jong, born 9th November 1940.
- HIH Prince Yi Chonam, born 1943, alleged son
of Prince Wu by Yu Jung-soon, daughter of
General Yu Dong-ryul.
- HIH Prince Yi Bang (third son, by Cho Byungsuk),
born 1914, died 1951.
- HIH Prince Yi Chang (fourth son, by Cho
Byungsuk), born 1915.
- HIH Prince Yi Tak (fifth son, by Lady Suin),
born 1918, died 1982.
- HIH Prince Yi Kon (sixth son, by Lady Suin),
- HIH Prince Yi Kwang (seventh son), born 1921,
- HIH Prince Yi Hyun (eigth son, by Lady Sugyung),
born 1922, died 1995.
- HIH Prince Yi Gap [Lee Chong-gil] (tenth son),
born 1938 in Seoul, married and has issue.
- HIH Prince Yi Won (see above and below)
- HIH Prince Yi Seok (eleventh son), born 26th
September 1941 in Sadong Palace in Seoul, educated
at Hankook University of Foreign Studies in Seoul;
singer ("Home of Doves", 1960) and entertainer,
host of a popular television program in 1964,
served during the Vietnam War in an elite Korean
commando regiment, discharged from the army in
1969, curator and cultural instructor in Chonju,
authored a book about the late Choson Kingdom
royal court family and has led an organization
dedicated to preserving the culture of the royal
court, presently professor of history lecturing at
Jeonju University; married 5 times, (including
Princess Jeonghee), and has issue, 3 children. (Jeonju,
- HIH Princess Yi Hong, born 1974, married Han
Yeong-gwang, a Korean actor and has issue, one
- HIH Princess Yi Jin, born 1979, actively
interested in women's rights, and the promotion
of traditional Korean ceramic arts.
- HIH Prince Yi Junghun, born 1980.
- HIH Prince Yi Hwan (twelfth son, by Kim Hyesu),
- HIH Prince Yi Jung (thirteenth son, by Hong
Jeongsun), born 1947.
- HIH Princess Yi Haewan (eldest daughter, by Lady
Sudeok), born 1915, died 1981.
- HIH Princess Yi Haewon (second daughter, by Lady
Sudeok), born 1919 in Sadong Palace and raised in
Unhyeon Palace, graduated from Kyunggi Girl's High
School in 1936; rival claimant for the Imperial
Throne, she was selected by a dozen members of the
Imperial family on 29th September 2006; married
Lee Seunggyu, and had issue, three sons and one
- HIH Princess Yi Haechun (third daughter, by Lady
Sugwan), born 1920.
- HIH Princess Yi Haesuk (fourth daughter, by Lady
Sugil), born 1920.
- HIH Princess Yi Haegyong [Ms. Amy Hai Kyung Lee]
(fifth daughter, by Lady Kim Keumdeok), born 1930,
educated in the USA, worked as a librarian of the
C.V. Starr East Asian Library of the Columbia
University in New York until retirement in 1997,
author of "Na ui ahoji Ui ch'inwang: Choson Wangjo
Majimak Wangnyo ui Haegorok" (My Father Prince Ui:
Memoirs of the Past Princess of the Choson
- HIH Princess Yi Hoeja (sixth daughter, by Kim
Hyesu), born 1940.
- HIH Princess Yi Haeran (seventh daughter, by
Hong Jeongsun), born 1944.
- HIH Princess Yi Haeryeon (eighth daughter, by
Hong Jeongsun), born 1950.
- HIH Princess Yi Changhui (ninth daughter, by Kim
Hyesu), born 1953.
- HIH Prince Yi Shun, married Lady Kin, born 1878.
He died 1917.
- HIH Prince Yi Ki, married.
- HIH Crown Prince Yi Un (by Princess Consort
- HIH Princess Yi Tokhye [Deokhye] (by Lady
Bongnyeong-dang), born 25th May 1912 at Changdeok
Palace in Seoul, educated at the Gakushuin; lived in
Japan until she returned to Korea in 1962; married
May 1931, (div. 1951), Count So Takeyuki, born 1908,
died 1985, and had issue, one daughter. She died
21st April 1989 at Sugang Hall, Changdeok Palace,
and was buried at Hongryureung in Namyangju, near
- Lady So Masae [Jung Hye], born 14th August 1932,
married Suzuki Noboru. She died 1955.
HIM Emperor SUNJONG,
2nd Emperor of Korea 1907/1910, 27th Head of the
Imperial Chosun Dynasty of Korea 1910/1926, born 25th
March 1874, married (amongst others), (a) HIM Empress
Sunjeong, married (b), 1907, Lady Yun, born 1894, died
3rd February 1966. He died sp on 24th April
HIH Crown Prince YI
UN, 28th Head of the Imperial Chosun Dynasty
of Korea 1926/1970, born 21st October 1897 at Deoksu
Palace in Seoul as Yeongchinwang
(Prince Imperial Yeong), Crown Prince of Korea from
1907, HRH Crown Prince Lee of Korea 1910/1926, he
served in the Japanese Army as Commanding Officer 59th
Regiment, 4th Depot Division and 51st Division, also
served in the Imperial Army Air Force as General
Officer Commanding, 1st Air Army, served as Instructor
at the Military Staff College, attached to
Inspectorate-General of Military Training, and
appointed to Membership of the Supreme War Council
during WWII, married 28th April 1920 at Tokyo,
HIH Princess Nashimoto-no-Miya Masako Nyo o (Yi
Pang-ja), born 4th November 1901, died 30th April
1989, the eldest daughter of HIH Prince Nashimoto-no-miya
Morimasa, and had issue. He died 1st May 1970 at
Nakseon Hall, Changdeok Palace, Seoul and was buried
at Hongyureung in Namyangju, near Seoul and is known
posthumously as Crown Prince Uimin of Korea (Uimin Taeja).
- HIH Prince Yi Chin, born 18th August 1921, died
11th May 1922, buried 17th May in Korea.
- HIH Prince Yi Ku (qv)
HIH Prince YI KU,
29th Head of the Imperial Chosun Dynasty of Korea
[1.5.1970] - [16.7.2005], the Lee Family Council
announced his posthumous title as Hoeun Hwangtaeson
(Prince Imperial Hoeun of Korea), born 29th December
1931 in Kitashirakawa Palace in Tokyo, educated at
Gakushuin Peers' School in Tokyo, Centre College,
Danville, Kentucky and at Massachusetts Institute of
Technology, studying architecture, he worked for a New
York firm of Architects 1960/1964, he lectured on
architecture at Seoul National University and Yonsei
University, married 25th October 1959 (sep'd 1977,
div. 1982) in St. George's Church, New York, Julia
Mullock [HIH Princess Julia Lee of Korea], born 18th
March 1928, in Pennsylvania, USA, and had adopted
issue. He died 16th July 2005 in Tokyo, Japan, buried
24th July at Hongnung royal mausoleum in Namyangju,
- HIH Prince Yi Won (adopted son, see above)
- Eugenia Unsuk (adopted daughter).
HIH Prince YI WON,
30th Head of the Imperial Chosun Dynasty of Korea (see