|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
- Kgosikgolo MAKGASANE,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato, married and had issue.( #1
- Kgosikgolo Mokgadi, died ca1780.
- Kgosi Molete, had issue.
- Kgosikgolo MOKGADI,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato -/1780
MATHIBA, Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1780/1795, born
1755/1760, married (amongst others), (a),
Topyane, Senior Wife, married (b), a Mokwena lady, and had issue. He
- Kgosikgolo Khama I (by Topyane) (qv)
- Kgosikgolo Tawana (by Mokwena wife), first Kgosi of the baTawana.
- Kgosikgolo KHAMA I,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1795/1817, married and had issue. He
- Kgosikgolo Kgari (qv)
- Kgosi Molosiwa
- Kgosi Sedimo (qv)
- Kgosi KGARI,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1817/1828, born about 1790, married
Mmapolao, died sp, married 2ndly, Bobjwale, died after 1842,
(she married 2ndly, about 1828/1829, Kgosi Sedimo), married 3rdly,
and had issue. He died
- Kgosikgolo Sekgoma I (by Dibeelane) (qv)
- Kgosikgolo Khama II (by Bobjwale) (qv)
- Mokgokong Kgari [MmaSebele] (by Bobjwale), married
Kgosikgolo Sechele I
of the baKwena,
and had issue. She died 1880.
- Kgosi SEDIMO, Acting
Chief of the bamaNgwato 1828/1833, married
(see above), and had issue. He died 1833.
- Kgosikgolo KHAMA II,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1833/1835, died sp in 1835.
- Kgosikgolo SEKGOMA I,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1835/1857 and 1859/1866 and
born 1815, married
(amongst others), Keamogetse, and had issue, sixteen sons and at least
two daughters by nine
wives. He died 1883.
- Kgosi Khama III (by Keamogetse) (qv)
- Kgosi Kgamane (by Keamogetse), fl.1890, married and had
- Kgosi Gorewang Kgamane (see below)
- Tsametse, married and had issue.
- Kaelo, married and had issue.
- Lediretse, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Seretse, married and had issue.
- Gagoitsege, married and had issue.
- Relesang Gagoitsege Seretse
- Kgosi Serogola Gagoitsege Seretse, Acting Regent,
to October 1933.
- (name unknown) Seretse, said to have had a
child by Tshekedi Khama.
- Edirilwe, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Kebailele, married and had issue.
- Gaopotlake, married and had issue.
- Tebogo, married Kgosi Sekgoma II (see below).
- Kgosi Mphoeng, fl.1894, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Phethu Mphoeng, born 1880, Governor of Mmadinare
District; married 1911, daughter of Kgosikgolo
Khama III (see below). He died 1951.
- Oteng Mphoeng
- Kgosi Mokhutshwane, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Lekgoba
- Kgosi Ikitseng, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Seeletso, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Moloi, Royal Headman, married and had issue. He
died before 1935.
- Ngwato Moloi
- Keiponye Moloi
- Radiphofu Moloi
- Bagakgametse Moloi, married 3rd
Serowe (div.1937), Tshekedi
Khama (see below), and is said to have had a son by her cousin, Kgosi
Leetile Raditladi (see below).
- Kgosi Nkate
- Kgosi Raditladi, married and had issue.
- Disang Raditladi, fl.1937, married and had issue.
- Oonetse Raditladi
- Mosele Raditladi
- Kgosi Leetile Raditladi, born 1910, died 1971.
- Son, born 22nd December 1936, allegedly born to his
cousin, Bagakgametse Moloi (see Note).
married and had
- Kgosi Ramorotong, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Seropola, married and had issue.
- Potsoeng, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Badirwang, married and had issue.
- Kgosi Baudube
- Kgosikgolo MACHENG,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1857/1859 and 1866/1872, born 1830,
married Kwenayagae (married
Kgosi Sechele I of the baKwena) and
issue. He died 1873.
- Kgosi Kgari Macheng, fl.1898.
KHAMA III, Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1872/1873 and
1875/1923, born about 1837 in Mashu,
converted to Christianity in 1860, married 1stly, about 1866,
Mogatsamotswasele [Elizabeth MmaBessie], died
December 1889 in Serowe, buried at Phalatswe, married 2ndly, 1890,
of the baNgwaketse, daughter of
Chief Gaseitsiwe, she died 1891/4, married 3rdly, 1895 (div. 1899),
Sefakwana, married 4thly,
1900, Semane MmaKgosi, born about 1878, died 11th September 1937 in
buried 14th September 1937 in the royal graveyard in Serowe, and had
issue, 3 sons and 9 daughters. He died 21st
1923 in Serowe, buried Serowe.
- Bessie Khama, born 1867, married Chief Ratshosa
Motswetle (a descendant of Chief
died 1917, and had issue. She died 1920.
- Simon Ratshosa, born 1883, headmaster
of the Khama Memorial
School; married Oratile Khama (see below). He
- John Ratshosa, Tribal Secretary
- Obeditse Ratshosa, Native Clerk
and Interpreter for the Resident Magistrate. He died after 1960.
- Millie Khama, married 1911, Kgosi Phethu Mphoeng, born
1880, died 1951 (see above).
- Baboni Khama-Morwe
- Kgosi Sekgoma II (qv)
- Victoria Bonyerile Khama, born 20th September 1901 in
Serowe, married (div.), Headman Lekhutlile.
- Kgosi Tshekedi Khama (qv)
- Ewetse Khama (by Semane), born January 1909, died young.
- Kgosikgolo SEKGOMA II,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1923/1925, born 1869, educated at
Church of Scotland school for Africans in the Eastern Cape; married
1stly, (div.), Kelathehile, married 2ndly, Serero
Selebaleng Kgamana (Maria), sister of the second wife, married 4thly,
Lenkeme, married 5thly (his cousin), Tebogo
Kebailele, daughter of Kebailele Sekgoma (see above), and had issue. He
died 17th November 1925.
- Sethapelo Khama (by Maria), died young.
- Oratile Khama, married Simon Ratshosa born 1883, died
1939, son of
Chief Ratshosa Motswetle, and
Khama (see above).
- Gasetshware Khama (by Maria), died after 1932.
- Naledi Khama (by Tebogo)
- Kgosikgolo Seretse Khama (by Tebogo) (qv)
- Botswaletse Khama (by Tebogo), born 1924, died in
or about January 1926.
Gorewang Kgamane, Chairman Council
of Regency 1925/1926,
married and had issue.
- Kgsoi Rasebolai Kgamane (qv)
- Kgosi Tshekedi
Khama, Regent of the bamaNgwato 1926/1949, born 17th September 1905 in Serowe,
at Serowe Public School 1912/1916, at
Lovedale School 1917/1921, and at the South African Native College at Fort Hare 1923/1925; installed as Regent on 19th January 1926;
in Serowe, 3rd February 1936 (div. 1937 (#6)),
Bagakgametse Moloi, born
2ndly, 23rd May
in Mafikeng, Ella Moshoela, and had issue. He died 10th June 1959 in
buried in Serowe.(#2)
- Kgosi Leeapetswe Khama (by Ella) (qv)
- His Excellency Kgosi Sekgoma
Khama (by Ella), born 1941,
- Semane Khama (by Ella), born 1943.
- Kgosi Modiri Khama (by Ella), born 1946.
- Kgosi Mphoeng Khama (by Ella), born 1948.
- Kgosi SERETSE KHAMA,
Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato 1949/1950, (#3)
by the Protectorate Authority, renounced claim 26th September 1956,
1st July 1921 in Serowe (#4), 1st
of Botswana 1966/1980, educated at Fort Hare University College and
with a general BA degree in 1944, went to England the following year
a legal education; at Balliol College, Oxford till 1946, then enrolled
for barrister studies at the Inner Temple, London; Prime Minister of
Bechuanaland 1965/1966; married 29th
1948 in Kensington, London (#5)
Mma Kgosi Ruth Williams [Lady Khama], born 9th December 1923 in London,
daughter of George and Dorothy Williams, died 23rd May 2002, buried 1st
June 2002 in Serowe, and had issue. He died 13th July 1980 in Gaborone,
he was buried in the Khama family graveyard, on the hill at Serowe
- Jacqueline Tebogo Khama, born 15th May 1950 in Lobatse.
- Lt.-Gen. Kgosikgolo Seretse Khama Ian Khama (qv)
- Kgosi Tshekedi Stanford Khama, born 1958 (twin).
- Kgosi Anthony Goitsebeng Khama, born 1958 (twin).
Keaboka Kgamane, Administrator of
the bamaNgwato African Authority 1950/1952
Rasebolai Gorewang Kgamane, Administrator
of the bamaNgwato African Authority
born 1907, awarded the following: BEM (British Empire Medal -
13th June 1946, MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire -
1st Jan 1954, OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire - Civil),
11th June 1960, CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire -
8th June 1963, WO1 in the Bechuanaland Pioneer Corps, died 1973.
Leeapetswe Khama, Administrator of
the bamaNgwato Tribal Authority 1964/1974,
1939, died 1987.
Mokgadi, Administrator of the bamaNgwato Tribal Authority
- Lt.-Gen. Kgosikgolo
SERETSE KHAMA IAN KHAMA, Paramount Chief of the bamaNgwato (qv)
- Kgosi Sediegeng Kgamane, Acting Paramount Chief.