|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
According to oral tradition, the founder of the family,
was originally from Manu'a (now American Samoa), and would
have settled on Rarotonga around 1250. He was a
contemporary of Tangiia Nui, the founder of the tribe of
Takitumu and with whom he formed an alliance, by giving
his daughter, Mokoroa ki Aitu, in marriage to Tangiia Nui.
The title of the senior line emerged from the time of
Makea Tepatuakino, some 200 years ago, when he divided the
Makea title into Makea Nui, Makea Kariki and Makea
Vakatini so that his eldest son from each of his three
wives could be a King. From this point, the sources tend
to agree as to the order and number of Ariki, but apparent
differences as to precise genealogical connections
continue to cause problems even to this day. The title
became vacant in 1994 inspite a large number of claimants.
A suggestion put forward in the Cook Islands Herald on
15th April 2009, proposing that a rotation of the title
take place amongst the four branches of the Kopu Ariki of Makea
Nui, namely Rangi Makea, Sadaraka (brother), Mere (sister)
and Upokotokoa (sister), clearly this wasn't taken up,
possibly as the proposal is contrary to the long
established protocol whereby the Makea Nui is chosen from
the Rangi Makea clan who are the senior line. Title
The help of John D. McMeekin is gratefully
acknowledged, 2002 and November 2014.
- Makea Karika RANGI
MAKEA I, married (amongst others), Te
Kura-poru, and had issue. He lived around 1750.
- Putua Ariki, said to be the eldest son in the
version of the King list as given by Tamuera Te Rei,
and claimed as ancestor, by one of the competitors
for the vacant Makea Nui title (see above); married
and had issue, eight sons.
- Ma'utau'a [Mahutaua], only surviving son, he
married Auariki of the Tinomana Ariki, and had
- William Parau Browne Putua Rangatira,
unsuccessful claimant to the Makea Nui title
in 1939 in his attempt through the Native Land
Court and the Auckland Supreme Court in New
Zealand, according to court records, he was
accepted as a descendant of Putua Ariki on
18th March 1955; married 1stly, Elizabeth
Tuvaine Tamarua from the Makea Nui family,
married 2ndly, and had issue.
- Children (by 1st marriage), members of the
Kopu Ariki of Makea.
- Akaiti Ngaupoko Browne, married George
Tauei Napa (see Tinomana).
- Yoland Browne (by 2nd marriage), claimant
to the Makea Nui title in 1994.
- Makea Te Pa'atua Kino [Makea Te Pa Atua Kino]
- Makea TE PA'ATUA
KINO, 19th Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga,
he is generally considered as the eldest son, though
according to Tamuera Te Rei, Putua Ariki is the
eldest, he is given variously (depending on the
version used), as the 19th, 25th or 21st Makea Karika
Ariki (see here
for predecessors), married three wives, including
2ndly, Pouna a Nia, she had issue, four children, and
had issue. He was assasinated in about 1800. After his
death the leadership split into three ruling lines.
- Makea Nui Pini Ariki (aka Makea Uri), Ariki in
Avarua of the Senior line (qv)
- Makea Karika Keu (by Pouna), Ariki in Avarua of
the Junior line (see Makea Karika title)
- Makea Tautu (by Pouna), with his brother, he was
the ancestor of the four lineages of Rangatira of
- Makea Paenui (by Pouna), with his brother, he was
the ancestor of the four lineages of Rangatira of
- Makea Kao (by Pouna)
- Makea Karika Tekao, married and had issue.
- Makea Nui Tinirau Ariki (qv)
- Makea Vakatini I Ariki (see Makea Vakatini title)
- Makea Nui PINI
Ariki, (20/26/22) 20th Makea Nui Ariki of Te
Au o Tonga ca1800/18xx, married and had issue.
- Makea Nui Tinirau Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui TINIRAU
Ariki, (21/27/23) 21st Makea Nui Ariki of Te
Au o Tonga -/ca1823 (abdicated), he abdicated in
favour of his son, following the civil war between
Teauotonga and Takitimu; married and had issue. He
- Makea Nui Pori Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui PORI
Ariki, (22/28/24) 22nd Makea Nui Ariki
of Te Au o Tonga ca1823/1839, he converted to
Christianity and was baptized in 1825, married 1stly,
Upoko Takau, daughter of Makea Karika Takau, married
2ndly, Kopu, and had issue. He died 23rd October 1839.
- Makea Nui Davida Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui Te Vaerua Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui Daniela Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui Terata Apera [Abela] (by Takau) (qv)
- Enua Pori Makea, he was adopted into the family of
- Makea Nui DAVIDA Ariki, (23/29/25)
23rd Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga 1839/1845,
married a lady of the Manarangi ariki, and had issue.
He died of an alcoholic coma in 1845.
- Makea Nui Takau Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui Te Vaerua Ariki, (24/30/26)
24th Makea Nui Ariki (Queen) of Te Au o Tonga
1845/1857, she succeeded her brother with the support
of the missionaries and was the first woman to obtain
the status of Ariki; she married Papelna, died 1901
(and/or married Tiberio, a Pastor of the L.M.S.
originally from Raiatea, but settled in Rarotonga in
1823). She died 1857.
- Makea Nui DANIELA Ariki, (25/31/27)
25th Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga [3.8.1857]
- [14.12.1866] and 1st King of Rarotonga, 1stly,
Tu-a-Maroka, daughter of Makea Karika Keu, married
2ndly, and had issue. He died of alcoholic poisoning
on 14th December 1866.
- Ngoroio Pori Makea, he inherited the lands of
Vaimutu Uri, he was the preferred choice as
successor to Makea Nui Rangi Makea II Ariki, and on
28th July 1921, eight of the Mataiapo's signed a
document naming him as successor with effect on 4th
August 1921, but he died shortly afterwards; married
and had issue.
- Pori Te Pou Makea, Pastor, married and had
issue. He died after 1911.
- Tinirau Miiura Makua Pori-Makea, married and
- Tekura 'Mac' Pori, married and had issue.
Pori Makea, married Kuini Campbell Maki, and had
- Amellia Gabrielle Pori Makea, married Allan
Tuanu Carissassa Mitchell Marama, and had issue.
- Keni-Johanni Piahana, married Tina Milroy,
daughter of Fredrick Milroy, and his wife,
Emarina Makea, and has issue.
- David Simpson Timi Pori Makea, married and had
- Teariki (David) Timi Pori-Makea Simpson,
married and had issue.
- Miria Timi Pori Makea Simpson Tereora
- Makea Nui APERA Ariki, (26/32/28)
26th Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga 1866/1871,
married Tehame'ame'a, and had issue. He died 24th
- Makea Nui Rangi Makea II Ariki (qv)
- Makea Nui Takau Ariki O.B.E.,
(27/33/29) 27th Makea Nui Ariki (Queen) of Te Au
o Tonga 1871/1911, O.B.E., born 1840 or 1845, Leader of the Council of Chiefs 1888/1900, President
of the Executive Council 1891/1901, Paramount Chief of
Rarotonga and Avarua, Queen of the Cook Islands
1874/1893, married Ngamaru Rongotini Ariki, the
Ngamaru Ariki (Paramount Chief) of Atiu, born about
1831, died 1903. She died sp on 1st May 1911.
- Makea Nui RANGI MAKEA Ariki II,
(28/34/30) 28th Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga
1911/1921, married Tapumanoanoa Tekao,
granddaughter of Papehia, and great-granddaughter of
Tinomana Enuarurutini (see Tinomana
Ariki), and had issue, two children. He died
24th July 1921 and was buried the next day.
- Makea Nui Tinirau II Teremoana Ariki (qv)
- Tamarua Ariki ♂, married Ngapia ♀, and had issue,
- Teariki ♂, married and had issue. He died in
- Pa Tepaeru Terito Ariki, 36th Pa Ariki (see Pa
- Makea Nui TINIRAU II TEREMOANA Ariki,
(29/35/31) 29th Makea Nui Ariki of Te Au o Tonga
[30.8.1921] - [25.1.1939], born 14th March 1874, his
succession was controversial as the Mataipo (Tribal
Chiefs), preferred Ngorio Pori Makea (son of Makea
Daniela) as their choice, but he died shortly
afterwards and Tinirau was confirmed as successor on
30th August 1921; married Te Ariki Tutini Ngamaru
Ariki ♀, born 5th March 1873 in Rarotonga, died 25th
June 1940, buried 30th June, and had issue, two
daughters. He died 25th January 1939 and was buried on
30th January 1939.
- Makea Nui Takau II Margaret Tinirau Rio Ariki ♀
- Makea Nui Tapumanoanoa Teremoana Ariki [Tinirau
Cowan] ♀ (qv)
- Makea Nui Takau II Margaret
Tiniraurio Ariki, (30/36/32) 30th Makea
Nui Ariki (Queen) of Te Au o Tonga  -
[15.9.1947], born 19th August 1904, married 17th
September 1928, Lieutenant-Colonel Eruea (Edward) Te
Whiti Rongomai Love, born 17th May 1904, died 2nd July
1942, and had issue, four daughters. She died 15th
- Mokoroa Tarawhukaaka Mimosa Rio Love ♀ (twin),
born 1st April 1930 on Rarotonga, died 29th July
- Inanui ki Te Rangi Rio Love ♀ (twin), born 1st
April 1930 on Rarotonga, died 19th October 1996 in
- Veia Love ♀, born 67th August 1931, married and
- Myra Love ♀, born 8th November 1934 in Petone.
VACANT [16.9.1947] - 
- Makea Nui Tapumanoanoa Teremona
Ariki C.B.E., (31/37/33) 31st Makea Nui
Ariki (Queen) of Te Au o Tonga 1950/1994, born 1910, Member of the Rarotonga Legislature
1949/1959, she was awarded the C.B.E. in 1956, married
Kainuku Charles Tau Cowan Ariki (see Kainuku Ariki), and had
issue, two daughters. She died 1994.
- Te-Marama-Eru-Tea Paula (Lineen)
- Mere Maraea (MacQuarrie)
VACANT  - [201x]