|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
- ABBA SERU GWANGUL, 1st Chief of the Oromo in Yejju
1770/1778, married and had issue. He died 1778.
- Ras Ali I [Ali Gwangul] (qv)
- Aligaz Gwangul (qv)
- Woizero Kefay Gwangul, married Mersu Barentu,
- Unknown, married and had issue.
- Woizerit Anqualit, married Dejazmach Hailu Eshte
- Ras ALI I Gwangul, Ras of Begemder
was appointed the title of Balambaras in
August 1781 by Emperor
Tekle Giyorgis I, in late 1783 or early 1784,
together with Ras
Haile Yosadiq, they conspired against the Emperor and
defeated him at
Afarwanat, forcing him into exile at Amba Sel. They
Atsequ from Wehni and made him Emperor on 18th
February 1784, and in
return, Ras Ali was promoted to Dejazmatch. He
steps to consolidate his power, among which, was the
betrothal of his
niece, Woizerit Anqualit, to the influential Dejazmach
Hailu Eshte of
Begemder, as well as recalling Emperor Tekle Haymanot
from exile in
1786 and restoring him to power. Subsequently he was
promoted to Ras,
but was soon forced to confront the forces of his
former ally, Ras
Haile Yosadiq, defeating them at Easter time in 1788,
afterwards he died from an illness at Filakit Gereger,
and was buried
at Lalibela; married (amongst other) in 1786, Woizero
Giyorgis, daughter of HIM Emperor Takla Giyorgis, 44th
Ethiopia, and had issue. He died 17th June 1788.
- Woizero Altash Ali, married 1stly, HIM Emperor
III, 48th Emperor of Ethiopia, married 2ndly, HIM
Giyorgis, 44th Emperor of Ethiopia, and had issue
- Ras ALIGAZ Gwangul, Ras of Begemder
Inderase (Regent) of the Emperor of Ethiopia 1788/-;
he fought and
killed Wolde Gabriel, the son of Ras Mikael Sehul in
the Battle of
Madab in 1788; married and had issue.
- Goje Aligaz
- Faris Aligaz
- Birru Aligaz
- Ras GUGSA Mersu, Ras of Begemder 1800/1825,
his capital at Lebo, a mountainous district some 60
south-east of Gondar; married and had issue. He died
23rd May 1825 and
was buried at the church of Iyasus in Debre Tabor.
- Ras Marye Gugsa (qv)
- Dori Gugsa (qv)
- Ras Yiman Gugsa (qv)
- Alula Gugsa, Governor of Damot, married Woizero
Liban, died after
1853, daughter of Imam Liban, Imam and Chief of
Wollo, and had issue.
He died after 1818.
- Woizero Hiruta Gugsa, married 1812, Dejazmatch
Gabre, died 1826.
- Woizero Welette Tekle Gugsa, married Dejazmatch
Meru of Dembiya, died about November 1827.
- Woizero Aster Gugsa, married Welde Rafael.
- Woizero Trungo Gugsa, married Wagshum Kenfu.
- Ras YIMAN Gugsa, Ras of Begember 1825/1828,
(Regent) of the Emperor of Ethiopia; he fought a
Dejazmatch Goshu Zewde and Dejazmatch Meru of Debiya,
defeating them in
at Kossober in October 1827; he died 1828 and was
buried at the church
of Iyasus in Debre Tabor.
- Ras MARYE Gugsa, Ras of Begender 1828/1831,
Enderase (Regent) of the Emperor of Ethiopia; he
rebelled against his
father and also against his brother, being defeated
Governor of Dembiya, Wegera and Belessa; he led an
army against Ras
Sabagadis of Agame, a warlord in Tigray, and defeated
him at the Battle
of Debre Abbay, but he was himself killed there on
14th February 1831.
- Ras DORI Gugsa, Ras of Begemder in 1831,
(Regent) of the Emperor of Ethiopia; he deposed HIM
Emperor Gigar in
June 1831, replacing him with HIM Emperor Iyasus IV.
He died in June
GOVERNORS OF BEGAMDER:
- Ras Bitwoded ALI II Alula, last Ras of
Begamder 1831/1853, born
1818, Enderase (Regent) of the Emperor of Ethiopia;
Chief of the Oromo
of Yejju; for much his reign Ras Ali was constantly at
successfully but on 29th June 1853, he was defeated by
at the Battle of Ayshal and lost his territoties and
his influence, he
fled to Wollo where he disappeared from history;
Wube, daughter of Dejazmatch Wube Haile Maryam of
Semien, and had
issue. He died 1866.
- Woizero Tawabatch Ali, married September 1854, HIH
Tewodros II of Ethiopia.
She died 18th September 1858.
- ARAYA SELASSIE YOHANNES, Governor of Begamder
1886/1887 and Governor of Wollo 1883/1886,
son of HIM Emperor Yohannes IV of Ethiopia, married
26th September 1884
in Borumeda (as her first husband), Woizero Zauditu
Menelik (later HIH
Empress Zauditu of Ethiopia), daughter of HIM Emperor
Menelik II of
Ethiopia, and his wife, Woizero Abetchiw of Wollo, and
issue. He died spl 10th June 1888 in Makalle.
- Ras Gugsa Araya Selassie, born 1885/1888, Governor
of Tigre; married 1stly,
married 2ndly, HIH
Princess Yeshash Worq Yilma, daughter of Dejazmatch
Yilma Makonnen (see Harar),
and his wife, Assalafetch
Wolde Hanna, and had issue.
He died April 1932 in Asmara, Eritrea.
- Dejazmatch Haile Selassie Gugsa, married 14th
in Addis Ababa, HIH Princess Zenabe Worq, daughter
of HIM Emperor Haile
Selassie I of Ethiopia, and his second wife, HIM
Empress Menen Asfaw.
He died after 1974.
- Ras ALULA,
Governor of Tigre, born 1847, died 1897.
- Ras GUGSA WALE, Governor of Begamder
born April 1877
in Martu, married April 1900 in Addis Abba (div.
1916), (as her fourth
husband), Woizero Zauditu Menelik (HIH Empress
of Ethiopia). He died sp 31st March 1930 in
- HIH Prince KASSA HAYLU, Governor of Begamder
born 7th August
1881, son of Dejazmatch Haylu Wolde Kirkos, and his
Tessemia Darge (see Shoa),
Governor General of
Salale 1907/- , Governor General of Wollo
, Viceroy of Lasta 1928/- , Ras [cr.1916],
in Fiche, Woizero Tsige Maryam Beshah, born 1884, died
of Beshah Bita of
and had issue. He died 16th November 1956 in Addis
- Dejazmatch Wond Wossen Kassa (qv)
- Dejazmatch Abera Kassa, born 1905, married Woizero
of Leul Ras Seyum Mangasha (see Tigre), and
his wife, Woizero Atsede Assefaw, and had issue. He
1936 in Fiche.
- Dejazmatch Dr. Amaha Abera, born 1928, Governor
Gonder 1961/1962; married (div.),
Makonnen, daughter of Kejazmatch Makonnen Wossenu,
and his wife,
Woizero Abebetch Ejersa, and had
issue. He died 4th December 2003.
- Woizero Yodit Amaha, married Mr. Bogale
has issue, 4 daughters.
- Rahel Fesseha, born 12th September
- Naomi Fesseha, born 30th July 1992.
- Jember Fesseha, born 2nd January
- Gelila Miriam Fesseha, born 3rd July
- Fitawrari Ameda Abera, born 1934, married
Berktawit Kifle, died
1969. He was killed 23rd November 1974 in Addis
- Lij Tariku Abera, born 1935.
- Dejazmatch Asfa Wossen Kassa, married 23rd
and died sp
1937 in Fiche.
- HH Prince Asserate Kassa (qv)
- Woizerit Hoy Bezoumesh Kassa, married Dejazmatch
Tessema, and had issue. She
- Dejazmatch Berhane Maskal Desta, born
married Woizero Menbere Admassow, and had issue.
- Tadla Berhane Maskal, born 1947.
- Yonas Berhane Maskal, born 1954.
- Lij Haylu Desta, born 1931, married
Atsede Belai, and had issue. He was killed 23rd
November 1974 in Addis
- Woizerit Sofia Haylu, born 1959 in
- Woizerit Tsige Maryam Haylu, born 1961
- Woizerit Manyahilush Kassa, married Shifferaw
- Immabet Hoy Tessemia Kassa, married Amede Ali, and
- Lij Mikael Amede, married Elizabeth
- Woizerit Tesseme Mikael, born 1970 in
- Lij Darge Amede, married Menbere Tadesse,
- Professor Kassa Darge, married Hanna
Tekele, and has
Haile-Selassie Kassa-Darge, born 2001.
Sahle-Selassie Kassa-Darge, born 2003.
- Desta Darge, married Emebet Tesfaye,
- Mikael Desta
- Elshadai Desta
- Eden Desta
- Eskinder Desta
- Hirut Darge
- Helen Darge
- Dejazmatch WOND WOSSEN KASSA, Governor of
19xx/1936, born 1903, married
1stly, Woizero Abebetch Abegaz, married 2ndly,
Tsehaynesh Zeleke, and
He died December 1936.
- Fitawrari Messaye Wondwossen (by Abebetch Abegaz),
in Debra Tabor, married 1stly, Tsehai Abraha,
married 2ndly, Woizero
Hailemaryam and has issue.
- Sofanit Messaye (by Tsehai), born 1st September
she married Fiseha
and has issue.
- Helen Fiseha, born 8th March 1998.
- Rebecca Fiseha
- Wondwossen Messaye (by Afomia), born 1968,
Lynne Anderson, born 19th April 1971, and has
- Brooke Menbere Wondwossen, born 16th September
- Matthew Robin Wondwossen, born 9th March 2004.
- Hannah Grace Wondwossen, born 21st October
- Theobsta Messaye (by Afomia), born 1970, married
- Alemseged Messaye (by Afomia), born 1971,
Sheila Del Gaudio.
- Andargachew Messaye (by Afomia), born 1973.
- Woizero Sileshi Wondwossen (by Abebetch Abegaz)
- Woizero Aychesh Wondwossen (by Tsehaynesh Zeleke),
son of Fitawrari Tedla Legas, and his wife, Woizero
- Abebe Mesfin, married Menbere Bezabih,
- Eden Abebe Mesfin (f)
- Betelihem Abebe Mesfin (f)
- Mebiratu Derso (m)
- Woubet Mesfin
- Tedla Mesfin, married Meseret Tefera, and
- Noel Tedla Mesfin
- Aron Tedla Mesfin
- Teklesilassie Mesfin
- Mengist Mesfin
- Wondwossen Mesfin
- Kassa Mesfin, married and has issue.
- Tseday Kassa Mesfin (f)
- Biruk Kassa Mesfin (m)
- Elizabeth Mesfin
- Tsehay Mesfin, married Dawit Amenu, and
- Fasika Mesfin
- HH Prince ASSERATE KASSA, Governor General
1942/1944 (first time), see below.
- HH Prince IMRU HAILE SELASSIE, Governor of
of Harar 1916/-, born
November 1892, Governor
of Wollo, Governor of Gojjam 1933/-, Ras [cr.1932],
Gobena, born about 1905, and had issue. He died August
- H.E. Lij Mikael Imru, born 1926, Prime Minister of
Ethiopia for two months in 1974.
- Woizero Marta Imru, married Col. Tamrat Yigezu,
died 1974, and had issue, seven sons and two
- Yegezu Tamrat (Abuli)
- Mengesha Tamrat (Boogi)
- Negussu Tamrat (Bonchu)
- Mulugeta Tamrat (Bob)
- Mezelekia Tamrat (Mamitu)
- Gobena Tamrat (Oura)
- Theodros Tamrat (Birbora)
- Imru Tamrat (Cheneto)
- Monique Tamrat
- Yodit Imru
- Yemesrach Imru
- Herut Imru
- Elleni Imru
- Rufael Imru
- Mamiye Imru
- Ras ANDAREGACHEW MASAI, Governor of Begamder
March 1902, Governor of Harar 1941/1942, Governor of
married 1stly, Woizero Sergut, married 2ndly, 4th
October 1944 in Addis
Princess Tenagne Worq, daughter of HIM Emperor Haile
Selassie I of Ethiopia,
and his second wife, HIM Empress
Asfaw, and had issue, four daughters.
- Woizero Koremtit Andaregachew (by Woizero Sergut),
married 1959, Lij
Samson Beyenna, born 1934, died 10th July 1963, and
- Lij Sebastyanos Samson, born 18th
- Woizerit Metasebiya Andaregachew (by Woizero
- Woizerit Woynam Andaregachew (by Woizero Sergut)
- Woizerit Mintewab Andargachew (by HIH
Princess Tenagne Worq)
- HH Prince (Leul Ras) ASSERATE KASSA,
1952/1956 (second time), born 1st May 1922 in Fiche,
, Ras [cr.1966], Governor General of Semien, Governor
Governor General of Shoa 1956/1957, Governor of
12th February 1943, Leult Zuriash Worq Gabre, born 2nd
of Janterar Gabre Iqziabher Asfa, and his wife,
Mulugeta, and had issue. He died
23rd November 1974 in Addis Ababa.
- Lij Dr. Asfa Wossen Asserate, born 31st October
of the Council of Civil Liberties in Ethiopia.
- Ato Mulugeta Asserate, born 9th November 1949 in
- Woizerit Tsige Asserate, born 7th March 1950 in
- Woizerit Rebecca Asserate, born 5th May 1951 in
- Lij Kassa Asserate, born 19th October 1955 in
- Woizerit Turu Worq Asserate, born 17th February
- Lij Wond Wossen Asserate, born 12th April 1957 in
- General NEGA TEGAGNE, Governor of Begamder
Semien, born 1930, married HH Princess Hiruta Desta,
born 20th April
daughter of Ras Desta Damtew, Governor of Kaffa and of
Jimma, and his
wife, H.I.H. Princess Tenagne Worq.