|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
about 1790. Rulers were...
- Moti ABBA FARO, 1st Chief of Jimma ca1790/-
- Moti ABBA MAGAL, 2nd Chief of Jimma 1800/1830,
originally ruler of the Hirmata
region, in a
of wars he extended his authority over what later
became Jimma, a
continued by his sons, married and had issue.
- Moti ABBA JIFAR I (qv)
- Moti ABBA BOK'A (qv)
- Abba Bulgu
- Abba Tiki
- Moti ABBA RAGO, 3rd Chief of Jimma in 1830
- Moti ABBA JIFAR I 1830/1855, became a Muslim convert
and is reckoned as
first independent King of Jimma, married and had
issue. He died 1855 in
a palace east of Jiren.
- Abba Gommol, elder son and heir, dispossed by his
- Moti ABBA REBU (qv)
- Moti ABBA REBU 1855/1859, married and had issue. He
- Abba Dula, Governor of Mandera-Set'o.
- Moti ABBA BOK'A 1859/1862 , married (amongst
of Kafa, and had issue. He died 1862.
- Moti ABBA GOMMOL (by the Busase lady) (qv)
- Abba Bulgu, Governor of Saraddo.
- Moti ABBA GOMMOL 1862/1878, conquered the Kingdom of
which became the southeast portion of his kingdom;
Gumiti of Guma,
died after 1898, and had issue. He died 1878.
- Moti ABBA JIFAR II (by the Gumiti Queen) (qv)
- Abba Jobir, Governor of part of Dedo.
- Abba Waji, married and had issue.
- Abba Meca, Governor of part of Dedo.
- Abba Diga, Governor.
- Abba Jilca, married and had issue.
- Abba Gole, Prime Minister, married and had
- Abba Garo
- Abba D'Asa, Governor
- Daughter, married Abba Gibe, Governor of Hirmata.
- Daughter, married Abba Busan Busase, Governor of
- Daughter, married Abba Jilca, son of Abba Cubsa of
- Daughter, married Abba Roro, Governor of Nada, son
Abba Bilo of
and had issue.
- Abba Diga, War Minister,
Beyyum, married and
had issue. He died 1920's.
- Moti ABBA JIFAR II, 8th Chief of Jimma 1878/1932,
born 1861, sometime in the
1880's he conquered a part of Janjero State and added
it to his
kingdom; in 1884 he submitted to Emperor Menelik II
and paid tribute
from 1886 onwards, ensuring the autonomy of his
kingdom until his
death; he was removed from power in 1930 but was
allowed to retain the
title of Negus; married (amongst other)
of Limmu, married (b), Queen Minjiti of Kafa, married
Sapertiti of the Sapera
family of Limmu, and had issue. He died 1932.
- Abba Dula, Governor, married and had issue.
- Abba Dikko, Governor of Kusaro, removed from
- Daughter, married after 1916 (as his third wife),
Emperor Iyasu V of Ethiopia.
- Moti ABBA JOBIR, 9th Chief of Jimma in 1932, deposed
for defying the authority of
installed as Sultan by the Italian fascist
occupation, and then
fled to Saudi Arabia following the liberation of
Ethiopia in 1941. He
died in exile after 1960.
- Ras DESTA DAMTEW, Governor of Jimma 1930/-