LOCATION: Fiji (Taveuni) AREA: xx acres CREATION: around 1770
TITLE: Tui Cakau DYNASTY: Ai Sokula SEAT: xx
Minister of Lands and Mineral Resources (resigned 7th April 2005); Minister for Transport and Civil Aviation (resigned 7th April 2005); Minister for Fijian Affairs 2006/-; Minister for Lands and Provincial Development 2006/-; he is the Paramount Chief of the Tovata Confederacy and the Paramount Chief of Cakaudrove Province (Tui Cakau).
Predecessors and Short History: The chiefly title of Tui Cakau is an abbreviation of the title Tui Cakaudrove. The title is the most senior in the Tovata Confederacy, one of the three tribal confederacies in Fiji. The Tovata Confederacy includes Vanua Levu and the Lau islands. The Tui Cakau title arose from the merging of two groups of people who lived on the windward coast of the island of Vanua Levu, opposite the island of Taveuni. The kai Cakaudrove were joined by a latter migrant group, the Ai Sokula. From within the ranks of the Ai Sokula group a chief was appointed to lead both groups. That leader was given the title Tui Cakaudrove, or Tui Cakau as it is currently referred to. Title Holders were...
- Ratu Rokevu, 1st Tui Cakau, married Adi Busa of the Nasuva clan of Welagi, Taveuni, and had issue.
- Ratu Ratavo (qv)
- Ratu Ratavo, 2nd Tui Cakau, later in his life he retired to his mother's village of Welagi where he died and was buried; married and had issue.
- Ratu Rakuro, married and had issue.
- Ratu Naiqama
- Ratu Vakamino (qv)
- Ratu Samusamuvodre, married a woman from Korocau and had issue.
- Ratu Ralulu
- Ratu Vakamino, 3rd Tui Cakau, married several wives and had issue. He died after 1828.
- Ratu Leleivono (mother from Vuna, Taveuni), together with his brother, he formed the 'Vasu i Vuna' sub clan of the Ai Sokula clan.
- Ratu Qerawaqa (full brother of Ratu Leleivono), together with his brother, he formed the 'Vasu i Vuna' sub clan of the Ai Sokula clan.
- Ratu Yavalanavanua Tasoqosoqo (mother was from Wainikeli, Taveuni) (qv)
- Ratu Loganimasi (mother was from Kioa Island)
- Ratu Yavalanavanua Tasoqosoqo, 4th Tui Cakau ca1829/1845, married Adi Levulevu of Bau, and had issue. He died 1845.
- Ratu Tuikilakila Lalabalavu Baleinamatau (by Adi Levulevu) (qv)
- Ratu Rabici (by Adi Levulevu), married and had issue. He died July 1839, lost at sea.
- Ratu Kuila, he enlisted the support of Tongan chief, Wainiqolo, in September 1862, and with a combined force of Fijian and Tongan warriors he led the failed attempt to dethrone the Tui Cakau (Ratu Raivalita) at the battle of Wairiki. He was pardoned by the new Tui Cakau (Ratu Goleanavnua), and served as Roko Tui Cakaudrove; married and had issue.
- Ratu Sakiusa Vakalolo (by Miriama Moceiwaqa), married and had issue.
- Ratu Lekima Mua, he served with the Fiji Contingent that fought in France during World War 1 (1914-1918) and died aged 26 years on 1st January 1918, and was buried at the Les Baraques Military Cemetery in Sangatte, France (near Calais).
- Adi Talatoka (by Adi Levulevu), married 1stly, Ratu Naulivou, died 1829, Vunivalu of Bau, married 2ndly, Ratu Tanoa Visawaqa, Vunivalu of Bau, younger brother of her first husband, Ratu Naulivou, and had issue by both husbands.
- Ratu Ralulu Kaloubula, 5th Tui Cakau in 1845, a cousin of his predecessor.
- Ratu Tuikilakila Lalabalavu Baleinamatau, 6th Tui Cakau 1845/1854, installed mid 1853, married (amongst others), Adi Nabiri Caginitoba of Tunuloa, and had issue. He died 1854.
- Ratu Vakalolo (by Adi Nabiri), he was nominated to succeed his father as Tui Cakau, but was killed in battle in 1854 and was never officially installed as Tui Cakau. His brother, Ratu Raivalita, instead succeeded to the title.
- Ratu Raivalita (by Adi Nabiri) (qv)
- Ratu Goleanavanua (by Adi Nabiri) (qv)
- Ratu Rakuro Dauvavana Togamalo (by Caucauniqoli of Wainikeli), married and had issue.
- Ratu Isoa Gavidi, married and had issue.
- Ratu Epeli Gavidi Ganilau, born 1890, married 1stly, Adi Nunia Vaniceva, married 2ndly, 1920, Adi Litia Tavanavanua, born 5th September 1900, died 1983/1985, daughter of Ratu Penaia Kadavulevu, Roko Tui Tailevu, and his wife, Adi Funaki, and had issue. He died 1932.
- Ratu Sir Penaia Kantabatu Ganilau (by Adi Nunia) (see below)
- Ratu Rabici Ganilau (by Adi Litia), died aged 16 years.
- Adi Torika Kainona, married Ratu Epeli Popi Seniloli, Roko Tui Tailevu, and had issue.
- Ratu Koliloa (by Gano of Benau), married and had issue.
- Ratu Lote Daulako
- Adi Filomena Ravuwai, married William Henry Miller, born 15th February 1866, and had issue.
- Adi Alisi Miller, born 1892, married Ratu George Brown Toganivalu of Bau, born 1891, died 17th June 1951 in Suva, O.B.E. , M.L.C. 1940, Roko Tui Bua 1936/1951, Roko Tui Ba 1946/1951, and had issue (see Roko Tui Bua).
- Mauga (Mona) Miller
- Julian Miller
- Fanny Miller
- Lily Miller
- Adi Qativi, married 1837, Ratu Taliai Tupou, 3rd Tui Nayau 1833/1875.
- Ratu Waisele Tikovakayalewa (by Lutu of Benau), married and had issue.
- Ratu Jese Sokovaka, married and had issue.
- Adi Tapanisi Saucanavanua Waitela, born 1878 in Wainikeli, Taveuni; married 9th June 1898, John Graham Falconer Taylor of Udukacu Estate, Taveuni, born 1878 in Vuda, Ba, and had issue, seven sons and six daughters. She died 1962 and was buried at the Taylor Estate in Udukacu Estate, Taveuni.
- Harry Yacata Taylor, born abut 1899.
- Ruby Margaret Taylor, she married Samuel Simpson of Yalave Estate, Vanua Levu.
- George Thos Taylor
- Gilmore Graham Taylor
- Violet Taylor
- Fanny Taylor
- Alma Dorothy Taylor (twin)
- Gladys Finau Taylor (twin)
- Charles Falconer Taylor
- Jack Frederick Taylor
- Dolly Nellie Taylor
- Joseph Archibald Taylor
- William Anthony Taylor, born about 1919.
- Ratu Raivalita, 7th Tui Cakau 1854/1862
- Ratu Goleanavanua, 8th Tui Cakau 1862/1879, 1st Chieftain Supreme of the Confederation of Lau 1867/1869, born [?before] 1830, he was one of the Chiefs who signed the Deed of Cession in 1874; married, Adi Elenoa Mila (former wife of the Tui Suva, and mother of Ratu Aporosa Tuivuya Ravulo, Tui Suva), and had issue, as well as further issue by nine women, including (a), Tule, a Tongan lady of rank from the Tu'i Ha'angana clan The Tui Ha'angana clan are direct descendants of the Tui Tonga and Tui Tonga Fefine. Tule was bethrothed to Ratu Goleanavanua in accordance with the Tongan custom of marrying off their women of high birth to Fijian and Samoan chiefs , sixteen children in all. He died 1879.
- Ratu Jone Vakalolo (by Tule), the eldest son, he was granted the title of Mai Nakorovou by his father and thus was the next most senior chief after the Tui Cakau; on his father's death in 1879, he allowed the Tui Cakau title to pass to his younger brother, Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu; married 1stly, Emali Loulou Saukelo from Somosomo, Taveuni, and had issue; married 2ndly, Lavenia Sulia Funaki of Tonga and had issue; married 3rdly, Adi Asesela of Tunuloa and had issue; married Adi Salote Finau from Kolomotua village in Tonga, and had issue.
- Adi Kelera Tarogatuvu (by Emali Loulou Saukelo), married into the Vuanirewa clan, and had issue.
- Ratu Jekesoni Uluiqalau Yavalanavanua, married and had issue.
- Ratu Roqica Uluiqalau
- Adi Laduvu Uluiqalau
- Ratu Jone Fugawai Golea (by Sulia), married Adi Laniana Dauvana of Qamea, and had issue.
- Adi Kelera Tarogatuvu, married to (unknown) from Sasa village, Macuata, Vanua Levu.
- Adi Salote Caginitoba, married Ratu Antonio Vula, and had issue, as well as issue by other unions.
- Adi Salote Tupou (by Ratu George Cocker), married Ratu Mikaele Vosota, Tui Vuna, and had issue.
- Ratu Maravu Vosota
- Adi Samanunu Vosota
- Adi Asenaca Fugawai (father was from Namata, Tailevu)
- Ratu Jone Fugawai (father was from Namata, Tailevu)
- Tevita Taumaipeau (father was from
- Ratu Josefa Tawake (by Ratu Antonio Vula)
- Adi Losana Raravuya, married Ratu Ilaitia Kirikiti from Mualevu, Vanuabalavu, Lau, and has issue.
- Ratu Iliesa Kirikiti
- Adi Laisa Uvuniqaikula Bolauga, married Ratu Viliame Maivalili, Tui Wailevu, and had issue, three sons.
- Ratu Kinijoji Maivalili, Tui Wailevu.
- Ratu Jovesa Maivalili
- Ratu Jone Saumaibulu Maivalili
- Ratu Samisoni Vakamino, married Vikatoria Sorokibau of Koro Island, Lomaiviti, and had issue.
- Ratu Viliame Rabalotu
- Adi Kelera Tarogatuvu
- Adi Lusiana Qolikoro (by Adi Asesela), lived in Somosomo, married Josefa Samate, but died without issue. She helped raise her nephew, Ratu Josefa Iloilovatu Uluivuda, former President of Fiji, and son of Ratu Jeremaia Uluivuda, Tui Vuda 1936/1952, and of Adi Melania Ciba of Welagi village, Taveuni. Adi Melania Ciba was the half sister of Adi Lusiana Qolikoro, having the same mother. Adi Melania Ciba was installed as Tui Taveuni in 1929.
- Ratu Joni Viliame Lewenilovo (by Adi Salote
Finau), born 1887, he served with the Fiji
Contingent that fought in France and Italy during
World War I (1914/1918); married 1stly (sep'd.),
3rd October 1913 in Suva, Emily Huch [Tulua
Tuatogaloa], adopted daughter of Sina and
Tuatogaloa, and daughter of Heinrich Martin Emil
Huch (he was born in Germany and served in US Navy
before moving to Samoa and marrying), and his
wife, Sineva of Savaii, married 2ndly, 1919, Emily
Koti from the mataqali Welitoa in Somosomo
Taveuni, and had issue. He died 1937.
- Ratu Jone Saumaibulu Lewenilovo (by Emily), he served in WWII as a Sergeant in the Solomon Islands campaign; married Delevine Qereitoga of the Vusaradave clan, and had issue.
- Ratu Uluikadavu
- Adi Salote Caginitoba
- Ratu Mikaele Gade
- Ratu Joni W. Lewenilovo
- Adi Lusiana Qolikoro
- Ratu Jekesoni Lewenilovo Yavalanavanua of Lalagavesi (by Delevine) [Biography] educated at Somosomo District School and Wairiki primary school, then at Nausori Tutorial College, and later at the Derrick Technical Institute (Diploma in Trade Mechanical engineering and Boiler Maker); employed by the Fiji's Forest Industry, the Fiji Sugar Corporation and the Ministry of Fijian Affairs as Assistant Roko Tui, Acting Roko Tui and Exective Officer; Member of the Senate of Fiji 2006/-; Secretary General of the Council of Chiefs of the Vanua of Lalagavesi (Cakaudrove); , born 3rd October 1952 at the Divisional hospital in Waiyevo Taveuni; married Taraivini Volau Maitoga of Cikobia island, Macuata, daughter of the late Captain Atunaisa Maitoga, and has issue.
- Adi Qativi Yavalanavanua, died young.
- Adi Tagimoucia Tupou Moeofo Yavalanavanua
- Ratu Jioji Cinavilomaloma Yavalanavanua,
serving in the British Army.
- Ratu Jekesoni Tuikilakila Yavalanavanua
- Ratu Antonio Raivalita Yavalanavanua
- Ratu Wiliame Qativi Lewenilovo (by Emily), he served the Fijian Administration as Buli Savusavu in the 1950's; married Loame Lotawa of Nagado village, Nadi. He died without issue, but had adopted and raised as his own child, his niece, the daughter of Adi Lusiana Boutabua;
- (A) Adi Kelera Tarogatuvu-Taylor, married Lieutenant Colonel (retired) Jim Sanday of the pre-coup Royal Fiji Military Forces.
- Ratu Romanu Daligadua (by Koti Welitoa), married Adi Matai Ralagi from Batiki Island, and had issue.
- Ratu Jope Lewenilovo
- Adi Unaisi Mitimiti Lewenilovo
- Ratu Jioji Lewenilovo
- Adi Salote Finau (by Koti Welitoa)
- Adi Tubu (by Welitoa)
- Ratu Jone Vakalolo Lewenilovo (by Koti Welitoa), married 1stly, Emalini Rarawa of Yacata, and had issue; married 2ndly, Judy Andrews of Kasavu, Savusavu and had further issue.
- Ratu Wiliame Qativi Bulisavusavu (by Emalini)
- Ratu Romanu Daligadua [aka 'Ratu Kaisa'] (by Emalini), deceased.
- Ratu Epeli Tikoirotuma (by Judy Andrews)
- Adi Lavenia Tugi (by Welitoa)
- Adi Lusiana Boutabua (by Koti Welitoa), married Pita Kadre of Vuna village, Taveuni, and had issue.
- Pita Mote Kadre
- Jo Lalaqila Kadre
- Ratu Jekesoni Yavala (by Koti Welitoa), former soldier and canefarmer of Soso, Ba; married Adi Temalesi Cagimudre of Moala island, and had issue.
- Adi Kelera Lewenilovo
- Ratu Jekesoni Yavala Lewenilovo
- Ratu Epeli Tikoirotuma Lewenilovo (by Koti
Welitoa), born 1937 in Rotuma, married Sotia
from Gau island, and had issue. He died May
- Ratu Bativuaka (by Adi Moce)
- Ratu Nagia (by Kosolavua)
- Adi Lua (by Maivinisalato)
- Ratu Raisupui (by Tunuloa)
- Adi Vuloko (by Adi Nukuvuka)
- Adi Talatoka (by Adi Nukuvuka)
- Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu (by Adi Elenoa) (qv)
- Adi Taufa (by Adi Elenoa)
- Ratu Joni Antonio Rabici (by Adi Elenoa) (qv)
- Adi Samanunu (by Adi Elenoa)
- Ratu Romanu Daligadua (by Adi Losalini Ravucake),
- Ratu Golea (by Adi Soloila Qolikoro)
- Adi Delai Somosomo (by Adi Ciba)
- Ratu Lele (by Adi Ciba)
- Ratu Buliruarua (by Adi Ciba)
- Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu, 9th Tui Cakau 1879/1905, born 1860, educated in Sydney; married 1stly, Adi Fine, a Tongan lady of rank who lived on Lakeba island in the Lau group, and had issue, as well as further issue by Hon. Tupou Moheofo, daughter of Hon. 'Isileli Tupou, and his wife, Hon. Lavinia Veiongo Mahanga. He died 1905.
- Adi Salote Caginitoba (by Hon. Tupou), married John William Cocker, born 1881, and had issue. She died 1955.
- Ratu George Cocker, he had issue by Adi Salote Caginitoba, daughter of Ratu Jone Fugawai Golea (see above), and further issue by Adi Anaseini Buna Kubuabola.
- Adi Kesaia Lolou Momota, had issue by Ilaisa, one daughter.
- Ratu Glanville Wellington Lalabalavu (by Adi Fine)(qv)
- Ratu Joni Antonio Rabici, 10th Tui Cakau
1905/1925, baptised in the Catholic Church with the
name of Antonio; he served as Roko Tui Cakaudrove in
addition to being Tui Cakau; married a woman of rank
from the Caumatalevu clan of the Tui Macuata. He died
sp 1925 and
was succeeded by his nephew, Ratu Glanville Wellington
- Ratu Glanville Wellington Lalabalavu, 11th Tui Cakau 1925/1946, born 1893, he served with the Fiji Contingent that fought in France and Italy during World War I (1914/1918) and was awarded the Meritorious Service Medal by the British for his war service; married 1stly, Adi Susu of Vuna, Taveuni, she died 5th April 1961 in Suva, married 2ndly, Mereani of Batiniwai, Somosomo, and had issue. He died 1946.
- Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu (by Adi Susu) (qv)
- Adi Elenoa Lalabalavu (by Adi Susu)
- Ratu Ratavo Lalabalavu (by Mereani) (qv)
- Ratu Jone Lalabalavu (by Mereani)
- Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu, 12th Tui Cakau 1946/1967, married 1stly, Adi Tuvaturogo of Narai Island, Lomaiviti, married 2ndly, Mere Tuwaci from Rewa Loma ni Koro, and had issue, four daughters. He died about the mid 1967.
- Adi Elenoa Lalabalavu (by Adi Tuvaturogo), presently living in the U.K.
- Adi Talatoka Levulevu Lalabalavu (by Adi Tuvaturogo), married Jioji Kotobalavu, former senior civil servant, and had issue. She died circa 2004 in Suva.
- Adi Lusiana Qolikoro Lalabalavu (by Mere Tuwaci)
- Adi Laisa Loloakubou Lalabalavu (by Mere Tuwaci)
- Ratu Ratavo Lalabalavu, 13th Tui Cakau 197x/198x, he assumed the title several years after the death of his half brother and previous Tui Cakau, Ratu Josefa Lalabalavu; he married Mele of Lakeba Island, Lau, and had issue. He died in the early 1980's.
- Adi Salote Caginitoba Lalabalavu, married Isireli Dugu, former soldier and Army officer of Ono Island, Lau.
- Ratu Josefa Antonio Rabici Lalabalavu, former Army officer (Fiji), third claimant to the Tui Cakau title in May 2001.
- Ratu Sir Penaia Kantabatu Ganilau [Biography] 3rd and last Governor General of Fiji [12.2.1983] - [15.10.1987], 1st President of Fiji [8.12.1987] - [15.12.1993], educated at Provincial School, Northern, Queen Victoria Memorial School and Wadham College, Oxford University 1946. Joined the Colonial Administration Service in 1947; District Officer 1948/53; Service with the Fiji Military Forces 1953/56 retaining rank of Temp. Lt.-Col. 1956, Roko Tui Cakaudrove 1956/-, Hon. Colonel 2nd Battalion (Territorial) FIR 1973; Deputy Secretary for Fijian Affairs 1961; Minister for Fijian Affairs and Local Government 1965/1970; Minister for Home Affairs, Lands and Mineral Resources 1970/1972; Minister for Communications, Works and Tourism 1972/1973; Deputy Prime Minister 1973/1983; Minister for Home Affairs 1975/1983 and Fijian Affairs and Rural Development 1977/1983; Member of the House of Representatives , Council of Ministers and Legislative Council; Chairman of Fijian Affairs Board, Fijian Development Fund Board, Native Land Trust Board, Great Council of Chiefs 1967/1970 and 1977/1983; interests include Rugby Football (rep 1938/39), Member of the Defence Club (Fiji); Awards include D.S.O. [cr.1956], O.B.E. [cr.1960], C.M.G. [cr.1968], C.V.O. [cr.1970], K.B.E. [cr.1974], K.C.V.O. [cr.1982], G.C.M.G. [cr.1983], and E.D. (Hon.) [cr.1974]. , 14th Tui Cakau 1988/1993, born 28th July 1918 at Taveuni; when initially approached, he was reluctant to accept the Tui Cakau title, and respectfully deferred to his other cousins of the Ai Sokula clan; married 1stly 8th March 1949, Adi Laisa Delaisomosomo Yavaca of Daku village, Tailevu, died 25th July 1971, and had issue, married 2ndly, 13th April 1975, Adi Lady Asilina Davila of Bau, Tailevu, died sp 1984, daughter of Ratu Kitione Lalakomacoi, and his wife, Adi Kacaraini Loaloakubou (see Bau), married 3rdly, 1985, Bale Mavoa of Natewa, Vanua Levu, no issue. He died 15th December 1993 in Washington, USA, buried at Taveuni, Fiji.
- Adi Mei Torika Kainona Ganilau, married Mr. Penisoni Gauna, former Banker, and had issue. She died August 2008, and was buried 30th August 2008 at Vuniduva.
- Adi Salote Gauna, married Ratu Tomasi
Bavou Daugunu of Saqani, and has issue, four
children. (Saqani, Cakaudrove, Fiji)
- Brig.-Gen. (retd.) Ratu Epeli Gavidi Ganilau, (by 1st wife) [Biography]He was educated at Wanganui Collegiate School, New Zealand, from 1965; graduated from the University of the South Pacific and from the Royal Military Academy, in Sandhurst, UK; and the Royal New Zealand Air Force Staff College; enlisted with the Royal Fiji Military Forces in June 1972, later promoted to the rank of captain, appointed Army Chief of Staff in 1987, appointed Commander of the Military in 1991, retired in 1998 with the rank of Brigadier General; helped to found the Christian Democratic Party in 1999, Chairman of the Bose Levu Vakaturaga (Great Council of Chiefs) 2001/2004, formed the National Alliance Party of Fiji in 2005, following the coup of 5th December 2006, he was appointed Minister of Defence & National Security , born 10th October 1951 in Savusavu, married Adi Ateca Mara of the Tui Nayau family, and has issue
- Ratu Edward Tuivanuavou Ganilau
- Adi Koila Ganilau [Adi Koila Ganilau-McBride], married Tim McBride, and has issue, two sons.
- Adi Tuikilakila Ganilau
- Ratu Gavidi Ganilau
- Ratu Sukuna Ganilau, married to Elenoa Vakaciwa of Koro Island, Lomaiviti, and has issue.
- Leonard Ganilau, has issue with his partner, Sonya Gardiner.
- Saki Ganilau
- Epeli Ganilau
- Maca Ganilau
- Adi Sivokidaveta Ganilau, has issue, two
- Ratu Jone Ganilau
- Ratu Fugawai Ganilau
- Ratu Rabici Ganilau, married Bernadette Rounds,
and has issue.
- Laisa Ganilau
- Ratu Tomasi Korovakaturaga (by Lokoloko Dimuri), born 9th April 1947, married and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
- Ratu Glanville Lalabalavu, 15th Tui Cakau 1993/1999, born 1929, married and had issue. He died 29th October 1999 in Suva, buried 6th November at Somosomo, Taveuni.
- Ratu Naiqama Tawake Lalabalavu (qv)
- Ratu Naiqama Tawake Lalabalavu (see above)