|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The Roko Tui Dreketi is the Paramount Chief of Fiji's Rewa Province and
of the Burebasaga Confederacy, to which Rewa belongs. This title is
considered the second most senior in Fiji's House of Chiefs. The
dynasty holding the title is the Tuisawau family. Unlike many other
chiefly titles, this one is not reserved for males. Title holders
- Ro Tura [Tera], married and had issue.
- Ro Lutunasobasoba, married and had issue.
- Ro Rokomautu, married and had issue.
- Ro Rovarovaivalu, he left Verata and settled in
Levuka, and later travelled to Namosi.
- Ro Rokoratu [Romelasiga], travelled from the Verata
Rewa in his canoe at Namako' and settled at Dreketi in the southwest
coast of the delta; married and had issue.
- Ro Kubunavanua
- Roko Ralawai
1st Roko Tui (Dreketi), he was installed by the vanua of Rewa on
- Roko Tabaiwalu 1825/1839, became the Roko Tui
Dreketi of Rewa in about 1825 with the help of white adventurers,
he brought the island of Kadavu
under his control; married (amongst many wives), (a), a lady of
rank from Kadavu, married (b), his chief wife, Adi Waqainaiveni, the
(c), Adi Salaisai, said to be a daughter of Ratu Banuve Baleivavalagi,
3rd Vunivalu of Bau, and had issue, allegedly over 100 children (though
only seven sons from three wives
had any status). He was killed by his son at an advanced age in
- Roko Koroitamana (by the Kadavu lady) (qv)
- Roko Macanawai Tuisawau (by Adi Salaisai) (qv)
- Roko Vidovi, died 1842 in New York.
- Roko Cokanauto [aka Mr. Phillips] (by Adi Salaisai) (qv)
- Roko Nagraningiou (by Adi Waqainaiveni)
- Roko Qaraniqio (by Adi Waqainaiveni) (qv)
- Roko Banuve Kania (by Adi Waqainaiveni) (qv)
- Roko Bativuaka (by Adi Waqainaiveni) (qv)
- Roko Koroitamana 1839, due to the intrigues
of the Radini Dreketi who wished to have her sons succeed, he was the
target of a number of assasination attempts, with the approval of his
own father, finally to end the attempts on his life, he had his father
killed, but was killed shortly afterwards on the orders of the Radini
Dreketi who pretended that her husband was still alive and wanted his
son dead. He died 1839.
- Roko Bativuaka 1839, he
was unpopular, and soon found himself in
competition with his half brother Roko Macanawai, trading threats and
with him until a confrontation became inevitable, which came about
resulting in his death by clubbing. He died 1839.
- Roko Macanawai Tuisawau 1839, full brother of Roko
his half brother with a throwing club and took control of Rewa, while
the Radini Dreketi fled to Ambau with her two remaining sons, from
there she hired Roko Vidovi to kill him, who shortly afterwards shot Ro
Macanawai through the chest whilst he was eating his dinner in his
house. He died 1839.
- Roko Cokanauto 1839/1841 and 1845/1851 or
born about 1810,
had issue. He died 1851.
- Roko Qaraniqio 1839/1840 and 1851/1855, died 26th
- Roko Banuve Kania 1839/1845, full elder brother of
Qaraniqio, he took
control of the government after the murder of his half brother; married
Adi Liku Qoliwasawasa,
of Ratu Naulivou Ramatenikutu, Vunivalu of Bau,
and his wife, Adi Kawanavere, and had issue. He died December 1845.
- Ro Adi Saunalewa, married Ro Peceli Musudroka, Vunivalu
of Rewa, and had issue.
- Ro Epeli
Vakacaracara, Turaga ni Valu, Vunivalu of Rewa, married Adi Sanimili
daughter of Ratu Timoci Vakaruru, 2nd Qaranivalu
of Naitasiri, and his wife, Adi Arieta Kuila, and had issue.
- Ro Kelerayani Yatovanua, married Ratu Aca
Ravulo, Tui Suva.
- Ro Joni Cure Mataitini, Vunivalu of Rewa,
married 1stly, Maraia
of Charles Pickering, married 2ndly, 1893, Sereani Tolani, died sp 1897, married 3rdly, 1898, Adi
Florie, died 1905,
daughter of Ratu Vuniani
Vukinamualevu, Roko Tui Ba, and had issue.
- Roko B. V. Rabici 1855/1874
- Ratu Timoci Tavanavanua 1874/1888, born 1847 in
title), Roko Tui Rewa (and, by Fijian title, Roko Tui Dreketi); married
and had issue. He died 1888.
- Adi Teimumu Vuikaba, married 1903, Ratu Lutunauga
had issue (see below).
- Ro Emori Bikavanua
Logavatu 1920/1924, born 1885 in Lomanikoro, married and had
issue, as well as issue by Ro Adi Tirisaani Banuve, died 14th April
1939, daughter of Ro Epeli
Vakacaracara, Turaga ni Valu, Vunivalu
of Rewa, and his wife. He died 25th March 1959.
- Ro Jone Tabaiwalu Logavatu, born 1st October 1915, died
- Ro Alipati Doviverata Logavatu (by Ro Adi Tirisaani
Banuve), born 26th February 1917, died 22nd October 1975.
- Ro Lagivala Tubuanakoro Logavatu, born 31st October 1926,
died 17th May 1998.
- Ro Rabici Verewale Logavatu, born 1st July 1944.
- Ratu Lutunauga Bativuaka
Tuisawau 1924/1936, born 1881, married 1903, Adi
Teimumu Vuikaba (see above),
1945, and had issue.
- Ratu George Cokanauto Tuisawau (qv)
- Ratu George Cokanauto
Tuisawau 1936/1961, born 1901, Roko
Paramount Chief of Burebasaga and Rewa, married 1stly, Adi Asenaca
Makutu of the Ka Levu household of Nadroga, and had
issue, as well as further issue by Flora Black of
the Tui Kanacea household of Vuna in Taveuni, and Miliakere Lewavaro
Yavusa Nakovacake of Namotomoto Village in Nadi. He died 1961.
- Ro Adi Lalabalavu Litia Katoafutoga Tuisawau (by Adi
- Ro Adi Teimumu Vuikaba Tuisawau (by Adi Asenaca) (qv)
Ratu Aporosa Rageci
Tuisawau (by Flora), born 20th September 1924, married 1959,
Maraia Sau (Tuisawau) of Vutia in Rewa, and has issue.
Ro Adi Asela Flora Tuisawau, born 11th January 1960
Ratu George Cokanauto
Tuisawau, born 6th May 1962
Ro Adi Alumeci Susu
Tuisawau, born 4th April 1964
Ratu Mosese Varasikete
Tuisawau, born 18th May 1966, died 1993.
Ro Adi Vasemaca Laisa
Lewatubekoro Tuisawau, born 30th March 1977
- Ro Mosese Varasikete Tuisawau (by Miliakere), born
26th March 1926, married
and had issue. He died 24th November 2000 in Lautoka.
- Ro Lutunauga Bativuaka Tuisawau, born 1960.
- Ro Miliakere Lewavaro Tuisawau, born 1962.
- Ro Filipe Qaraniqio Tuisawau, born 1964.
- Ro Alipate Komaiwai Tuisawau, born 1965.
- Ro Asela Lalaciwa Tuisawau, born 1967.
- Ro Adi Lalabalavu Litia
Katoafutoga Tuisawau [Lady Adi
3rd January 1931, Roko Tui Dreketi and Paramount Chief of Burebasaga
Rewa, married 22nd September 1950, Ratu Sir Kamisese Kapaiwai
Mara, 3rd Tui Lau and Tui
and had issue. She died 20th July 2004.
- Ro Adi Teimumu Vuikaba
Tuisawau (see above)