|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The Turaga na Vunivalu ni Bau is the Paramount Chief of the Kubuna
Confederacy, which belongs to the Tui Kaba clan based on Bau Island,
and is generally considered to be the highest chiefly
title in Fiji. The succession to the title does not follow
primogeniture, but the candidate must be a high ranking member of the
Tui Kaba clan. The Vunivalu when installed, also takes the title of Tui
Levuka, as he
is the traditional leader of the Levuka people of Lakeba, Lau. The wife
of the Vunivalu is titled Radini Levuka. Title holders
- Ratu Nailatikau, 2nd Vunivalu of Bau -/1770
- Ratu Banuve Baleivavalagi, 3rd Vunivalu of Bau
1770/1803, married four
wives, 1stly, Adi Davila, sp, married 2ndly, Roko Lewasaki
(Rewa), married 3rdly, Adi Miriami Dabuli, married 4thly, Litia from
had issue. He
- Ratu Naulivou Ramatenikutu (by Roko Lewasaki) (qv)
- Ratu Tanoa Visawaqa (by Roko Lewasaki) (qv)
- Adi Davila (by Roko Lewasaki)
- Ratu Caucau (by Adi Dabuli), married Adi Vuniwaqa, and
- Ratu Nayaqodamu
- Adi Titila Marama
- Adi Litia Vatea, born 1824, married Ratu Namosimalua,
died 1852. She
- Adi Tatila
- Ratu Ramudra (by Adi Dabuli), married Adi Kubunawere, and
- Adi Toro
- Ratu Kalevu Vosalevu
- Adi Davila
- Ratu Vuibureta (by Litia), married Adi Mere Veisaca, and
- Ratu Kamasese Mara Tuimacilai Kapaiwai, born 1815/1820,
Bauan chief and rebel, he was executed by his cousin Ratu Seru Epenisa
Cakobau; married Adi
(see below), and had issue. He died 8th June 1859.
- Ratu Joni Madraiwiwi, born 1859 in Suva, 1st Roko
[cr.1896], Roko Tui Tailevu 1912/ca1915, after joining the
Audit Office as a clerk at an early age, he worked his way up through
the civil service. He held the posts of Roko Tui Ra and Roko Tui
Tailevu in the Colonial Native Administration,
married 1886, Adi Litiana Maopa, born 1864,
dau of Ratu Tevita Uluilakeba, Tui Nayau,
May 1933, and had issue. He died December 1920.
- Ratu Sir Josefa Lalabalavu Vana'ali'ali Sukuna,
April 1888 in
Bau, 2nd Tui Lau 1938/1958, K.B.E. [cr.1946], C.B.E. [cr.1939], in his
time, he was regarded as a credible contender for the title of Tui
Viti; he was educated privately by Rev. Charles Andrew, and at Wanganui
Collegiate School in New Zealand, he joined the civil service as a
fifth class clerk in 1907, became assistant master of the Lakeba school
and also became visiting examiner at Queen Victoria School and Levuka
Public School in 1909; he entered Wadham College, Oxford in 1913 to
study history, graduating in 1918; during World War I, he joined the
French Foreign Legion being awarded the Croix de Guerre, after which he
proceeded to the Middle Temple in London, and by 1921 had graduated
with both a B.A. and an LL.B. degree (becoming the first-ever Fijian to
receive a university degree), he was instrumental in establishing the
Native Land Trust Board, and was appointed the first Speaker of the
Legislative Council in 1954; married
1928, Adi Maraia Vosawale, born 17th March 1903 in Bau, M.B.E., died
August 1956, married 2ndly, 1950, Adi Maca Likutabua, born 1934, died
Gucake. He died spl 30th May 1958.
- Adi Asenaca Teimumu Vuikaba, born 1890, Ratu Tomasi
Suguvanua Latianara, Tui
Nokoro, and had issue.
- Ratu Tiali Wimbledon Thomas Vuiyasawa, born 1895 in
Nakelo, Tailevu; Roko
Tui Lomaiviti, married Adi Merewalesi Navuda, and had issue.
- Ratu Jone Tabaiwalu Vuiyasawu, born 1941, died
- Ratu Penaia Kadavulevu Vuiyasawu, born 8th
1943, died 22nd June 1987.
- Adi Litia Tavanavanua Vuiyasawu, born 10th August
died 7th April 1993.
- Ratu Epeli Naganilau Tainawai Vuiyasawu, born 4th
April 1947, married 1stly, Losana Koroi, died 2001 in Sacramento,
U.S.A., married 2ndly, 28th August 2010 in California, Reyama Talatoka
Natakeleniwaqalevu of Vuda.. (U.S.A.)
- Ratu Ilaitia Kitu Matanimeke Vuiyasawu, born 19th
October 1949, married Adi Lagamu
Lewaturaga Baledrokadroka (married 2ndly, Ratu Inoke
Takiveikata, 8th Qaranivalu of
Naitasiri), daughter of Ratu Alipate Baledrokadroka, Turaga Taukei ni Waluvu, and had
issue. He died 4th March 1991.
- Adi Kacaraini Loaloakubou, married Ratu Kitione
and had issue.
- Adi Lady Asilina Davila, married (as his second
1975, Ratu Penaia
Kanatabatu Ganilau, Tui
- Ratu Dr. Joni Antonio Rabici Doviverata, born 1906
in Nakelo, Tailevu;
Adi Losalini Raravuya Uluiviti of Nairai, the first women to become a
member of Fiji's Legislative Council and subsequently a Member of
Parliament; and had issue.
- Ratu Joni Madraiwiwi, born 1957, Vice President
of Fiji 2004/2006, installed as Roko Tui Bau
November 1995, educated at Adelaide University,
Australia (Law) and McGill University, Canada (Master's Degree), former
Justice of the
High Court 1997/2000, Director of Fiji Times Ltd., he is also a human
rights commissioner and former chairman of the Citizens Constitutional
Forum, married 5th December 1998 in Bau, Adi Lusiana Paluvavau
daughter of Ratu Edward Kikau Tuivanuavou, and his wife, Adi Sainimili
- Ratu Timoci Tavanaua
- Adi Viviana Sophia Veisaca
- Adi Litiana Maopa
- Ratu Timoci Tavanavanua, born 1908 in Nakelo,
- Adi Mere Tuisalala, married Friedrich Wilhelm
Hennings, and had issue.
- Adi Senirewa, married Ratu Lote Cagawalu and had issue.
- Adi Salanieta, married Ratu Joni
Colata, brother of the
Roko Tui Ra, and had issue.
- Ratu Naulivou Ramatenikutu, 4th Vunivalu of Bau
1stly, Adi Talatoka, daughter of Ratu Yavalu, 4th Tui
Cakau, (she married 2ndly, Ratu
Visawaqa, see below), married 2ndly, Adi
of the Vusaradave of Bau, and had issue. He died 1829.
- Ratu Ravulo (by Adi Talatoka)
- Adi Liku Qoliwasawasa (by Adi
Kawanavere), married Roko Banuve, Roko Tui
died June 1845, and had issue. She died after 1845.
- Ratu Tanoa Visawaqa, 5th Vunivalu of Bau 1829/1832
married 9 wives
(6 of whom were strangled to death in December 1852), 1stly, Adi
Talatoka, daughter of Ratu Yavalu, 4th Tui
Cakau, (married 1stly, Ratu Naulivou Ramatenikutu, see above),
married 2ndly, Adi Savusavu, married 3rdly, Adi Qereitoga from Rewa,
married 4thly, Adi Vulase from Vuda, married 5thly, Adi Manakilagi from
Koro, married 6thly, Adi Reki, married 7thly, an unknown lady, married
8thly, Vulaono, married 9thly, Litia Vereivalu of Gau, and had issue,
children. He died 8th December 1852.
- Ratu Navuaka
Komainaqaranikula Tui Veikoso 1832/1837
- Ratu Epenisa Seru Cakobau [King Cakobau], 1st
Viti (King of
6th Vunivalu of Bau 1852/1883, President of the General Assembly,
of Independent Kingdoms of Viti 1865/1867, 1st and last Tui Bau
1815 in Lakeba, converted to Christianity in 1854, taking the name of
(Ebenezer); a Confederacy of Independent
Kingdoms of Viti was established in 1865, with him as Chairman of the
General Assembly, in 1869 the confederacy split into
the Kingdom of Bau and the Confederation of Lau, with Cakobau assuming
kingship of the former, he succeeded in creating a united Fijian
in 1871, and established
Levuka as his capital, he ceded the Fijian islands to Britain in
October 1874 to counter a perceived American threat of annexation;
1stly, Adi Litia Samanunu, daughter of the Roko Tui
married 2ndly, Adi Salote Qalirea Kaunilotuna, sister of the first
and had issue. He died February 1883.
- Adi Arieta Kuila (by Adi Litia), born 1840 in Bau,
married 1857, Ratu Timoci
Vakaruru, 3rd Qaranivalu of Naitasiri,
born 1832 in
Navuso, died 1872, and had issue. She died
- Ratu Epeli Nailatikau (by Adi Litia), (qv)
- Adi Asenaca Kakua Vuikaba (by Adi Litia), born 1844,
married 1863, Ratu
Uluilakeba III, 8th Roko Sau of the Lau Islands (see Tui
Nayau), died 1876 and had issue.
- Ratu Timoci
Tavanavanua (by Adi Litia), born 1847,
Minister for War and Police; Roko Tui Dreketi 1874/1888; married 1stly,
died 28th November 1918, daughter of Hon. Inoke Matafonuafotu Veikune
of the Governor of Vava'u in Tonga), and his wife, Hon. Pauline Lupe,
married 2ndly, Adi Kelera Rokovedro from the Batitobe sub-clan of the
Vunivalu clan, and had issue. He died 1888.
- Adi Litia Cakobau (by Adi
Tupoutoa), born 1876, married Ratu Peni Tanoa,
3rd Qaranivalu of Naitasiri, but separated
thereafter, and had issue by HM King George Tupou II of Tonga. She died 6th
1952 in Bau.
- Ratu Edward Tuivanuavou Tungi
born 21st December
1908, Roko Tui Tailevu 1955/1973, Deputy Prime Minister of Fiji 1970/-;
commanded the Fijian Battalion in World War II, married
Adi Vasemaca Tuiburelevu, died March 2001, buried 23rd March 2001 at
daughter of Rat Ilaijia Toroca, and his wife, Adi Seini Vakaoca, and
had issue, he had further issue by Laisa Kaukiono Fonolahi, daughter of
Reverend Viliame Fonolahi, and his wife, Setaita Wea Miller. He died
- Ratu Epeli Nailatikau, Na Turaga Mai
Naisogolaca, born 5th
1941 in Levuka, Deputy
Prime Minister, Speaker of the House of Representatives 2001/-,
Chairman of the Parliamentary Appropriations Committee and of the House
Committee, educated at Bau District School, Draiba Fijian School,
Levuka Public School and Queen Victoria School, entered military
service and rose through the ranks to Brigadier-General, and was the
Commander of the Royal Fiji Military Forces. After the first coup, he
retired from the Army and joined the diplomatic service, he was
appointed High Commissioner to the United Kingdom and accredited as
Fiji's Ambassador to Denmark, Egypt, Germany, Israel and the Holy See,
later appointed as Fiji's Roving Ambassador and High Commissioner to
the member states of the South Pacific Forum, before taking up a post
as Permanent Secretary for Foreign Affairs and External Trade in 1999.
After the second coup, he became Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for
Fijian Affairs in the interim Cabinet, Speaker of the House of
Representatives 2001/-, appointed the UNAIDS Special
Representative for the Pacific, married 1981, Adi Koila Mara, born
1953, Member of Parliament, Cabinet Minister and Senator, daughter of
Rt. Hon. Ratu Sir Kamisese Kapaiwai Tuimacilai Mara, 3rd Tui Lau, 7th
Tui Nayau, and his wife, Ro Adi Lady Lalabalavu Litia Katoafutoga
Tuisawau, Roko Tui Dreketi, and has issue.
- Ratu Kamisese Vuna Nailatikau
- Adi Litia Cakobau Nailatikau
- Ratu Tu'uakitau George Cokanauto,
born 5th June 1945, appointed on 19th July 2000 as Minister for Local
Government, Housing and the Environment in the Cabinet of Interim
Prime Minister Qarase, Director of the Native Land Trust Board, married
1stly Taraivosa, married 2ndly, Adi
Rokolewasau Uluilakeba, (married 1stly, 28th January 1970, Ratu Edward
Kikau Tuivanuavou), daughter of Tevita Uluilakeba, and Silipa Raikoro.
and has issue, as well as further issue by Rebekah
- Adi Litia Vuikaba Tuiburelevu
Rebekah), born 16th November
- Ratu Keni Vuiyasawa
- Ratu Viliame Foukimoana
Dreunimisimisi (by Laisa), born 7th
June 1937 in Mualevu, married Akanisi Vunitiko, daughter of Jekope
Serukalou, and has issue, two sons
and three daughters.
Adi Tupoutu'a Dreunimisimisi, born 1970.
- Ratu Enele Ma'afu'otu'itonga
Adi Mitimiti Dreunimisimisi, born 1972.
Adi Lusiana Dreunimisimisi, born 1974.
Ratu Edward Tuivanuavou Tungi Tevita
- Adi Teimumu Vuikaba (by Adi
Tupoutoa), married 1903, Ratu Lutunauga
Bativuaka Tuisawau, Roko
Tui Dreketi, and had issue. She died 1945.
- Ratu Nailatikau Cakobau (by Adi
Tupoutoa), died 1892.
- Ratu Eparama Mateilevuka (by Adi
Tupoutoa), married and had issue.
- Ratu Kitione Kida
- Ratu Jone Ragogo
- Adi Lavenia Motea
- Adi Tupou Cakobau (by Adi
Tupoutoa), married and had issue.
- Adi Finau Cakobau (by Adi
Tupoutoa), married and had issue.
- Ratu Luke
- Adi Litia Waqainaweni
- Adi Seini Vakaoca (by Adi
Tupoutoa), married Ratu Ilaijia Toroca, and had
- Ratu Ilaitia Matanimeke (by Adi Kelera),
married and had
- Adi Kakua
- Ratu Konile Rabici
- Ratu Josefa Tabakaucoro
- Ratu Josefa Celua (by Adi Litia), married Adi Mere
and had issue.
- Ratu Epeli Popi Seniloli (qv)
- Ratu Sukuna Vana (by Adi Salote)
- Ratu Viliame Bulu (by Adi Salote)
- Adi Lusiana Qolikoro (by Adi Salote)
- Ratu Epeli Nailatikau 1883/1901, born 1842, Roko
installed as the 7th Vunivalu of Bau, but posthumously recognized as
married 1stly, Adi Kelera (Na Baubau), married 2ndly, Adi Nanise,
married 3rdly, Adi Koila, and had issue. He died 1901.
- Ratu F. L. Temesia (by Adi Kelera)
- Ratu Etuate Wainiu (by Adi Kelera), married and had issue.
- Adi Kelera, married and had issue.
- Ratu Penaia Kadavulevu (by Adi Nanise) (qv)
- Ratu Tuisavura
- Adi Lagilagi
- Adi Ateca Moceiwaqa, married Ratu Alifereti Finau, Tui Nayau, died
1934, and had issue.
- Ratu Penaia Kadavulevu 1901/1914, Roko Tui
-/1912, never officially installed as the 8th Vunivalu of Bau, but
posthumously generally recognized as such; Member of the Legislative
Council of Fiji; Captain of the Fijiian cricket team; married
Adi Funaki, daughter of Ratu Sowani, and his wife, Adi Kakua (daughter
of Ratu Kubuanavua, see above), and had issue. He died 1914.
- Adi Litia Tavanavanua, born 5th September 1900 in Navuso,
Ratu Epeli Gavidi Ganilau, and had issue (see Tui
Cakau). She died 1983/1985.
- Ratu Epeli Popi Seniloli
1914/1936, never officially installed as the 9th Vunivalu of Bau, but
posthumously generally recognized as such, born 1883, Roko Tui
Adi Torika Kainona, daughter of Ratu Isoa Gavidi of Cakaudrove, and had
issue. He died 13th October
- Ratu Tevita Naulivou (qv)
- Ratu Sir George Kadavulevu Cakobau (qv)
- Adi Tirisiani Daucakacaka
- Ratu Tevita Naulivou
1936/1957, never officially installed as the 10th Vunivalu of Bau, but
posthumously generally recognized as such, born 30th November 1906,
married 1stly, Adi Kelera
married 2ndly, Seini Sauvou Balekiwai, born 11th November 1926,
daughter of Vilikesa Balekiwai, and his wife, Adi Sereana Tolanivutu
Toganivalu, and had issue. He died 1984.
- Ratu Eliki Liceni Tikoidraubuta (by Adi Kelera), born
1927, Roko Tui,
and had issue, three sons and three daughters.
- Ratu George Kadavulevu Naulivou (by Adi Sereana), born
1948 in Nanukuloa,
married Sereana Tinaidaniva Berwick, daughter of Samuel Lawrence
Berwick, and his wife, Adi Tokasa Lewamoqe.
- Adi Cakaunivalu (Cockburn) (by Adi Sereana)
- Adi Ane Banuve (by Adi Sereana)
- Adi Vasemaca Loatuicana (Adi Sereana)
1. The help of Mrs.
Seruwaia Sanday is gratefully acknowledged, March 2008.
- Ratu Sir George Kadavulevu Cakobau, 11th Vunovalu
of Bau 1957/1989,
G.C.V.O. [cr.1977], O.B.E. [cr.1953], Royal Victorian Chain
, Tui Levuka, 2nd Governor General of Fiji
[13.1.1973] - [12.2.1983],
at Queen Victoria School, Fiji, Newington College, Australia and
Technical College, NZ. Served during WWII 1939/45, Captain, Fiji
Forces. Member of the Council of Chiefs 1938/1972; Member of the
Council 1951/1970; Minister for Fijian Affairs and Local Government
Minister without Portfolio 1971/1972, retired from office in 1983,
married 1stly, 1937, Adi Veniana
Gavoka, Radini Levuka,
daughter of Ratu Inoke Mara, Roko Tui Namata, and his wife, Adi Alisi,
married 2ndly, 1956, Lady Adi Lelea Seruwaia Balekiwai, daughter of
Vilikesa Balekiwai, and his wife, Adi Sereana Tolanivutu Toganivalu,
and had issue. He
25th November 1989.
- Adi Samanunu Cakobau-Talakuli (by 1st marriage), born
1940, High Chief
of Tailevu, High Commissioner to Malaysia, Minister for Fijian Affairs
and Regional Development 1994/95, Chairperson of the Great Council of
- Adi Litia Cakobau (by 1st marriage), she was appointed to
the Senate in 2001, as one of nine nominees of the Fijian government.
- Ratu George Cakobau (by 1st marriage), a Fijian Chief,
and Senator since 2001, prominent candidate for the position of
Vunivalu of Bau.
- Adi Salote Kaunilotuma Cakobau (by 2nd marriage)
- Ratu Epenisa Cakobau (by 2nd marriage), President of the
Conservative Alliance Party of Fiji.
- Ratu Josefa Celua Cakobau (by 2nd marriage)
- Ratu Tanoa Visawaqa Cakobau (by 2nd marriage), born 12th
May 1969 in
Suva, President of the Conservative Alliance.
help of Ratu Kinijioji Cama is gratefully acknowledged, April 2008.