LOCATION: Nepal - Western AREA: xx sq.km. VILLAGES: xx POPULATION: xx RELIGION: Hindu
TITLE: Raja Shri Shri Shri DYNASTY/LINEAGE: Shahi ANNEXATION: 25th September 1786 ABOLISHMENT: 9th April 1961
PRESENT HEAD OF HOUSE:
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: In common with a number of other Rajadoms, Salyan came into being as a result of the divsion of the parent Kingdom of Parbat, by Raja Malaibam at a date that has been variously given as 1378, 1418, even 1365 samvat. The state, a Baisi Rajya, was annexed to Nepal on 25th September 1786, but continued to exist as a vassal state until that too was was abolished in 1961 (#1), though the Raja was allowed to retain the title as a herditary distinction. The Raja continued to receive a privy purse from the Nepali government until the abolishment of the Monarchy in 2008. Rulers were...
- Raja Nimu, married and had issue.
- Gosalale, he became a Gautam Brahmin
- Raja Kapriya Shahi, he received the title of Shahi from the King of Tibet, married and had issue.
- Raja Kemadasa Shahi, he became samala, married and had issue.
- Raja Gajartha Shahi
- Rajkumar Jayartha Shahi, married and had issue.
- Raja Gajaibhimabam, he received the title of Bam and the rule over Rajapartha region from the Raja of Jumla, married and had issue.
- Raja Malaibam, married and had issue.
- Raja Kharacakra, 1st Raja of Jajarkot
- Raja Jagatrabam, 1st Raja of Salyana (continued
- Raja Anantabam, 1st Raja of Jahari.
- Raja Jagathrabam, 1st Raja of Samakot.
- Raja Chambrabam, 1st Raja of Sallena.
- Raja Ksatribam, 1st Raja of Rasket.
- Rajkumar Mairaja Shahi
- Sagune, his son became a Bagale Thapa.
- Kedaru, he became a Marule.
- Raja JAGATRABAM, 1st Raja of Salyan (1418), he received Salyan as his share of the patrimony, married and had issue.
- Raja Doraijaithubam (qv)
- Raja DORAIJAITHUBAM, 2nd Raja of Salyan, married and had issue.
- Raja Anamma (qv)
- Raja ANAMMA, 3rd Raja of Salyan, said to be the founder of Parbat in 1436, married and had issue.
- Raja Chandram (qv)
- Raja CHANDRAM, 4th Raja of Salyan, married and had issue.
- Raja Dibam [Dimba], Raja of Salyan, Musikot and Parbat?
- Raja Hiubam, Raja of Piuthan and Argha
- Raja SANGRAM SHAH,
Raja of Salyan.
- Raja SHRI KRISHNA SHAH, Raja of Salyan -/1794, abdicated in favour of his son and retired to Kashi.
- Raja Ranabhima Shah (qv)
- Raja RANABHIMA SHAH, Raja of Salyan 1794/1810, recieved the former principlaities of Rukum, Musikot, Malneta, Phalawang and Dang as a reward for aiding the King of Nepal; styled Sriman Maharaja Shri Tin and Sriman Maharajadhiraja in acknowledgement of the cordial relationship between Salyan and Nepal; on unsubstantiated grounds of treason he was deposed and his deposition was formally anounced on Tuesday, Baisakh Sudi 7, 1866, and the Principality was effectively abolished; he married (amongst others), 1767, Rani Bilasha/Vilasa Kumari, daughter of Raja Prithvi Narayan Shah of Nepal, and had issue, five sons.
- Rajkumar Raghunatha Shah (by Rani Vilasa Kumari), he
succeeded as Raja Raghunath Shah (qv)
- Rajkumar Raghuvara Shah
- Rajkumar Ghanshyama Shah
- Rajkumar Bharata Shah
- Rajkumar Gadadhara Shah
- Raja RAGHUNATH SHAH,
Raja of Salyan 1810/-
- Raja RAGHURAJ SHAH,
Raja of Salyan -/1838
- Raja TEJ BAHADUR SHAH, Raja of Salyan 1838/1847, recognized as Raja of Phalawang, a much smaller former Princely State which was not part of Salyan, though he was formally recognized as Raja of Salyan in 1894 Samvat, and his jurisdiction was limited; he married and had issue. He died 1847.
- Raja Narendra Bahadur Shah (qv)
- Rajkumar Kula Pradip Shah [Kuldeep Shah]
- Rajkumar Samar Bahadur Shah
- Chautarjya Rajkumar Lakshmi Narayan Shah, married Chautami
Rani Khadga Divyeshwari Devi, died after 1896, daughter of
Cdg. Gen. Dhir Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana. He died about
- Raja NARENDRA BAHADUR SHAH,
Raja of Salyan 1847/1871, married 2ndly, 1865, Rani Toran
Divyeshwari Devi, died after 1896, daughter of Cdg. Gen. Dhir
Shumsher Rana. He died sp 1871.
- Rani Toran Divyeshwari Devi, Rani of Salyan, succeeded her husband, she named Chautarjya Rajkumar Lakshmi Narayan Shah as heir, but he died shortly afterwards, and was succeeded by his wife.
- Rani Khadga Divyeshwari
Devi, Rani of Salyan 1872/-
- Raja SHAMSHER BAHADUR SHAH,
Raja of Salyan 1896/-, recognized as Raja of Salyan in 1896,
married and had issue. He died after 1936.
- Raja Gehendra Bahadur Shah (qv)
- Rajkumari Indra Divyeshwari Devi
- Rajkumari Indra Kumari Divyeshwari
- Raja GEHENDRA BAHADUR SHAH, Raja of Salyan, married a daughter of HH Maharaja Shri Tin Juddha Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana, and had issue, five sons.
- Raja Jitendra Bahadur Shah (qv)
- Rajkumar Narendra Bahadur Shah
- Rajkumar Surendra Bahadur Shah, educated at Patna
- Rajkumar Birendra Bahadur Shah, born 192x, he served as
Zonal Commissioner in the Terai region during the Panchyat
Era, died after 2008.
- Rajkumar Devendra Bahadur Shah
- Raja JITENDRA BAHADUR SHAH, Raja of Salyan, Nepalese Consul General in Calcutta 1955/1961
- Raja GOPENDRA BAHADUR SHAH, last Raja of Salyan -/2003, Photographer at the Royal Palace, died 2003.
- Rani Hem Kumari, married General Shri Maheshwar Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana.
- Rani Purna Kumari, married General Maharajkumar Surendra Shumsher Jung Bahadur Rana.