|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The Sa Malietoa clan has three branches (Moli, Gatuitasina
and Talavou), who have the right to nominate the Malietoa.
Title holders were...
- Susuga Malietoa TI'ALEMATAGI [aka Susuga
Muagututi'a], married 1stly, Taufailematagi Lio of the
Tongan Tugi Clan (she married 2ndly, her step-son,
Susuga Malietoa Ti'alematagi), married 2ndly, a Samaon
lady, and had issue, three sons.
- Muaausa (by Taufailematagi)
- Sulusulumaiva (by Taufailematagi)
- Susuga Malietoa Fitisemanu (by the Samoan
- Susuga Malietoa FITISEMANU, married (amongst
others) (a), Pa'alo Memea, married (b), Fuata'iotui
Gaugau (Sapapali'i), married (c), Taufailematagi (his
stepmother), married (d), Lamana Ta'isi Galumalemana,
and had issue. He died 1800.
- Susuga Malietoa Vainu'upo Tavita (by Pa'alo) (qv)
- Susuga Malietoa Tinai Natuitasina Taimalelagi (by
- Tuitofa Aigaevalu (by Lamana), married Tuimaleali'ifano
Suitipatipa, and had issue.
- Tafa'ifa To'oa Sualauvi, married and had
issue. He died 1870.
- Susuga Malietoa VAINU'UPO TAVITA 1800/1841,
born about 1765, married 1stly, Maituu Leilua
Tuatagaloa Meleisea of village Falealili, married
2ndly, Si'uli Atuilagi Gatoloai, married 3rdly,
Fuata'iotui Gaugau, and had issue. He died 3rd May
- Tautaioleua Poutoa Vainuupo Malietoa of village
Sapapalii, married 1stly, Luka Tualamalelagi of
village Lefaga, married 2ndly, Lea'autaoamoa Lauaki
Mamoe Namulauulu of Fagapoa (sister of Namulauulu
Lauaki), and had issue, the Sa-Moli of village
Sapapalii. He died vp in battle in the war of Aana
- Unasa 'Salima' Galumalemana Tautaioleua Vainuupo
Malietoa (by 1st marriage)
- Poutoa Lauaki Salima Malietoa (by 2nd marriage)
- Tautaioleua Poutoa Vainuupo Malietoa (by 2nd
- Sose Leaauta Vainuupo Malietoa (by 2nd marriage)
- Petone Poutoa II Tautaioleua Vainuupo Malietoa
(by 2nd marriage)
- Susuga Malietoa Moli (by Si'uli)(qv)
- Susuga Malietoa Talavou Tonumaipe'a (by
- Susuga Malietoa TINAI NATUITASINA TAIMALELAGI
(Tupu o Salafai) 1841/1858, married Samala'ulu Tualau
(Palauli), and had issue. He died 1858.
- Papali'i Pouvi Taimalelagi, married 1stly, Suluia
Va'amoleana (Gautavai), married 2ndly, Punipuao
Savaemalo Afamasaga (Fasito'otai), and had issue.
- Siaumau Taimalelagi (by 1st marriage), married
and had issue.
- Fa'amuta Taimalelagi Malietoa, married 4thly,
Inailau Tuipoloa, and had issue.
- Siala Taimalelagi Malietoa.
- Maita Taimalelagi (by 1st marriage)
- Aionofa'asisila Taimalelagi Malietoa (by 2nd
marriage), married Fa'alua Sao (Gautavai), and had
issue. He died 5th January 1932.
- Soloia Taimalelagi, married James Stowers.
- Oso'oso Taimalelagi
- Malelega Taimalelagi
- Paepaega Taimalelagi
- Atele Taimalelagi
- Lu'ulau Taimalelagi
- Tupapau Taimalelagi
- Taiulavao Taimalelagi
- Susuga Malietoa MOLI 1858/1860, married
Fa’alaitaua Fuatino Su’apa’ia, and had issue. He died
- Susuga Malietoa Laupepa (qv)
- Saitaua, she married Leota Laiafi from Solosolo,
and had issue, one son.
- Sunu Leota Toomalatai, he married Faapusi
Tuaimalo from Matautu-Uta Apia, and had issue,
- Toomalatai Laiafi Toomalatai of Matautu
Apia and Solosolo, married and has
- Susuga Malietoa TALAVOU
TONUMAIPE’A 1860/1880, married 1stly, Fa’amelea
Malulaufa’i Lei’ataua, married 2ndly, Mataouli, and
had issue. He died 8th November 1880.
- Fala'ataitaua (by Fa’amelea), he married nine
wives, 1stly, Fa'asiu Foa'imea Leota, daughter of
Luamanuvae of Gautavai, Savai'i, had issue, two
daughters, married 2ndly, Tapa'au Nai'ai, had issue,
one daughter, married 3rdly, Tu'ufau Pe'a, had
issue, one daughter, married 4thly, Sua Auuapa'au,
had issue, one daughter, married 5thly, Utumalafata
Fagasavali To'omalatai, had issue, two sons, married
6thly, Si'alei, daughter of Tofilau from Iva,
Savai'i, jad issue, a son, married 7thly, Sili'olo
Tupuola, had issue, one daughter, married 8thly,
Lepepe Alai'asa, had issue, one daughter, married
9thly, Salumalo Leilua, daughter of Ta'alise Leilua
Anamani from Falealili, and his wife, Vaiolo
Seiuliali'i, had issue, one son and one daughter,
and had issue, twelve children, eight sons and four
daughters. He died 1910.
- Fatimagalo Sialafale (f) (by Fa'asiu Foa'imea
- Laufasa (f) (by Fa'asiu Foa'imea Leota)
- Fa'asaveve (f) (by Tapa'au Nai'ai)
- Tafa'ifa [aka Tafa'i] (f) (by Tu'ufau Pe'a)
- Feto'ai Pa'ese (f) (by Sua Auuapa'au), mother of
- Lauoletolo Malietoa (by Utumalafata),
married Manumanu Asi of Vaiala, and had issue.
- Lauolefiso Paepae Malietoa
- Lauoletolo Togia'i Malietoa
- Fagasavali Malietoa
- Moana Figel
- Emma Avegalio
- King Kong Malietoa
- Lauolefiso To'omalatai (by Utumalafata), he
assumed his mother's surname, To'omalatai, as his
own, married and had issue.
- Papali'i Nofoali'i Lauoletolo To'omalatai,
married 1stly, Si'imoa of Lalomanu, married
2ndly, Pineauro Leomiti of Pavai'ai, Tutuila.
- Sepoima Lauoletolo To'omalatai, married Iosefa
Siatini of Fagatogo, Tutuila.
- Momoei Pomona Lauoletolo To'omalatai, married
Eugene Reid, son of the late Cecil Reid of
- Leasuasu Tavita Fa'alataitaua (by Si'alei), a
Congregationalist minister, he married and had
issue, two sons.
- Papali'i Misipati
- Talavou III
- Valelia (f)(by Sili'olo), mother of two sons,
Sanele and Sio.
- Sivaopipi (f) (by Lepepe Alai'asa)
- Fitisemanu II (m)(by Salumalo Leilua)
- Mataniufeagaimaleata (f) (by Salumalo Leilua),
she died in childhood,
- Tapu’ulafiti (by Mataouli)
- Afiafivasa (by Mataouli)
Fuata’i (by Fa’amelea)
- Susuga Malietoa LAUPEPA 1880/1898, born 1841
in Savai'i, married, Sisavai'i Malupo Niuva'ai,
daughter of Niuva'ai of Palauli, and had issue. He
died 22nd August 1898 in Savai'i.
- Fa'amu Leuatoivao (by Sisavai'i)
- Susuga Malietoa Tanumafili I (by Sisavai'i)(qv)
- Siliva'ai (by Sisavai'i)
- Fefauimalemau Fuatino, married Mata'afa Fiame
Faumuina Mulinu'u I, died 27th March 1948, and
- Susuga Malietoa TANUMAFILI
I 1898/1939, born 1879, Fautua
[cr.1912], married Momoe Lupeuluiva Meleisea, and had
issue. He died 1939.
- Sisavai'i Lupeuluiva, born 2nd February 1902.
- Salamasina, born 7th June 1911.
- HH Susuga Malietoa Tanumafili II (qv)
- Savea'ali'i Ioane Viliamu Malietoa, married 1941,
Tulimalefoi Titilupe Sueuga Mauga Manuma, and had
- Papali'itele Malamaisaua Malietoa, married 1962,
Fea Paulo Ulualofaiga Talaimavao and has issue.
- Maina Savea'ali'i Malietoa, married and has
- Tupuola Semoanaifea Malietoa
- Papali'itele Penehuro Malietoa, married and has
- Spencer Vainuupo Malietoa
- Launiusaelua Tafilele Malietoa, married and has
- Sisavai'i Malietoa
- Penehuro Voloti Malietoa
- HH Susuga Malietoa TANUMAFILI
II 1939/2007, born 4th January 1913 in
Sapapali'i, Savai'i, educated at the Government run
Leififi School in Samoa, and at St. Stephen's College,
Auckland and Wesley College, Pukekohe in New Zealand;
succeeded to the Malietoa title in 1939, styled O
le Ao o le Malo, appointed Fautua (Advisor)
to the New Zealand Governor in Samoa in the same year,
attended a Session of the United Nations as one of the
Samoan leaders in a New Zealand delegation in 1958,
Joint Chairman of the Working Committee on
Independence and Constitutional Conventionin 1959,
awarded the C.B.E. in 1959, Joint Head of State of
Western Samoa 1962/1963, Head of State from the 5th
April 1963 (for life), invested with the Collar Badge
and Star of the G.C.M.G., (the Knight Grand Cross of
the Most Distinguished Order of St. Michael and
St.George) in 1977 by HM Queen Elizabeth II, appointed
one of the Trustees of the Polynesian Heritage Fund in
1981, appointed Chancellor of the University of the
South Pacific in 1986, invited to attend the change of
command at the U.S. Pacific Fleet in Honolulu, Hawaii
by the American Government in 1988, awarded the Medal
of the Grand Order of Samoa on 3rd January 2001;
married 1stly, 1940, Masiofo Lili Tunu Malietoa [Lili
Molio'o Setu], died 1986, married 2ndly, 1962, Tiresa
Patu Tauvela Hunter, and had issue. He died 11th May
2007 at the Tupua Tamasese National Hospital in Apia.
- Papali'i Molio'o Laupepa Malietoa, born 1941,
married Aiono Sia, and had issue. He died 1985.
- Papali'i Malietau Sapatu-motu-pa Laupepa
Titimaea Malietoa, married 17th July 2010,
Soonaalofa ‘Sina’ Ah Poe M.A., educated
University, England, graduating with a Master's
Degree in Fine Arts; presently (2010) a curator
for Samoa’s National Museum.
- To'oa Tosi Malietoa, married 1stly, Melvin John
Jungblut II, married 2ndly, High Chief Savusa of
Nu'uli of American Samoa, and has issue (by 1st
- Melvin John Jungblut III
- Edwin Ati Jungblut
- Pava Siaosi Jungblut
- Alaileula Poutasi Jungblut [the Hon. Alaileula
Tuku'aho], married the Hon. Ma'atu FATAFEHI
ALAIVAHAMAMA'O TUKU'AHO of Tonga and has
- Tunu Jungblut
- Seiuli Vainu'upo David Jungblut
- Su'a Vainu'upo Malietoa
- Papali'i Momoemanuelefatiaesaumalaeatia'e
Malietoa, married Poloai Michael von Reiche, and has
- Papali'i Fa'amausili Moli Malietoa (#1), married Audrey
Brighouse, and has issue.
- Momoemanuelefatiaesaumalaeatiae Malietoa, born
11th August 1972.
- Andrew Jason Malietoa, born 23rd July 1973.
- Ioane Viliamu Malietoa, born 10th October 1974,
- Liliolevao Salamasina Malietoa, born 9th October
1975, Miss Samoa 1994.
- Fu'aolemalo Malietoa, deceased at birth.