|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
established 2nd May 1858, surrender to New Zealand Government occurred
1881. Rulers were...
- King POTATAU Te Wherowhero 1858/1860, born c1800,
son of Te
Chief of the Ngati Mahuta Hapu of the Waikato tribes, and Te Parengaope
of the Ngati Koura, Paramount Chief of the Waikato tribes and 1st Maori
King, installed 2nd May 1858 at Waikato, married Whakaawi of Ngati
and had issue. He died 25th June 1860.
- King TAWHIAO Matutaera Te Pukepuke Te Karato
- Te Paea, died 1875.
- Makareta Te Otaota
King TAWHIAO Matutaera Te Pukepuke Te Karato
1860/1894, born c1825, married 1stly Hera, married 2ndly, Rangiaho,
3rdly Aotea, [daughter of Paratene Maioha, and his wife, Ngawhare
Te Hinaki], and had issue. He died 26th August 1894 at Parawera near
buried 24th September 1894 on Taupiri Mountain.
- Tiahuia Mahuta (by Hera), born 1853, married Te Tahuna
Herangi of Ngati
Apakura, born 1855, died 5th April 1944, and had issue. She died April
- Hera Herangi, born 1880, married 1stly, Tungia Te Ao,
Te Ao (father of her 1st husband), married 3rdly, Whetu Kingi. She died
- Te Puea Herangi, born 9th November 1883 in
Whatiwhatihoe, died sp
12th October 1952 in Ngaruawahia, buried 19th October 1952.
- Te Ngaehe Herangi
- Tamati Herangi, born 1885, died young.
- Wanakore Herangi, born 1887, married and had issue. He
died April 1951.
- Te Atairangikahu Herangi, married 1930, King KOROKI
Te Rata Mahuta
Potatau Te Wherowhero, and had issue (see below).
- Te Atarua Piri Herangi, born 1889, married c1917,
Tumate Mahuta (see
She died 12th November 1918.
- King MAHUTA Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero (by Hera)(qv)
- Te Wherowhero Tawhiao (by Hera), married Tamurangi Manahi
and had issue. He died 1911.
- Tawera Te Wherowhero, born 16th April 1891, married
Raiha Urupikia, born 24th December 1891, died 6th February 1946 in
Auckland, daughter of Te Whiu Himiona, and his wife, Ani Pairua, and
had issue. He died 5th February 1942.
- Piupiu Te Wherowhero, born 1886/1887 in Whatiwhatihoe,
Vaikai, kinsman of Makea Nui, Arikitangi of Rarotonga, and had issue.
died 29th October 1937 in Arapuni, buried 2nd November 1937 on Taupiri
- Manahi Vaikai, born about 1915, married Mei Makoare,
born 1st May 1916, died 30th August 1984, daughter of Nuia Makoare, and
his wife, Kahakaha Pohatu, and had issue. He died 26th
- ?Daughter, married and had issue.
- Sir Robert Te Kotahitangi-Koroki Mahuta, adopted by
King Koroki (see
- Haunui Tawhiao (by Rangiaho), married Hini Tarawhiti and
had issue. He
died November 1945.
- Tia Hua Haunui Tawhiao, born 21st January 1911.
- Pokaia Tawhiao (by Rangiaho)
- Puahaere Tawhiao (by Aotea), maried 1stly, James MacKay
Junior, had issue, one son and one daughter, married 2ndly, Reutana Te
Ngaro, had issue, one daughter, married 3rdly, Te Popoki Te Kurapae,
had issue, twin sons, and had issue.
- Parearohi (Arihia) MacKay, she married Rameka
Hape, and had issue.
- Hauauru Rameka
- Hone Rameka
- Henare Rameka
- Tirakahurangi Rameka
- Mihingarangi Rameka, stillborn.
- Kori Te Oraiti Rameka
- Te Urunga Rameka
- Tuwharetoa Rameka
- Ngawini MacKay
- Puahaere (by Reutana)
- Tame Te Kurapae (twin)
- Ngamotu Te Kurapae (twin)
King MAHUTA Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero
married Te Marae, daughter of Chief Amukete Te Kerei, and had issue. He
died 9th November 1912 at Waahi, buried on Taupiri Mountain.
- King TE RATA Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero (qv)
- Taipu Mahuta, born 1892, married Te Uira Te Heuheu
Tukino, born 2nd
in Auckland, daughter of Tureiti Te Heuheu Tukino V, Paramount Chief of
the Ngati Tuwharetoa, died January 1947.
He died March 1926.
- Tumate Mahuta, born July 1893 in Waahi, married c1917 Te
born 1889, died 12th November 1918 (see above). He died 29th April
buried 8th May 1938 on Taupiri Mountain.
- Tonga Mahuta, born 1897 in Hukanui, married Te Okewhare,
1944, and had issue. He died 13th March 1947 in Waahi, buried on
- Charlie Tumate Mahuta, born 6th January 1916 in Huntly,
involved in the
Kingitanga movement, a roading contractor, machinery driver and farmer,
a keen bowls player and pianist, married the daughter of Hori Paki, and
had issue, survived by three adult children, 18 grandchildren, 32
and six great-great-grandchildren. He died 16th November 2004.
- Herangi Rereata Mahuta, born 11th August 1921, died 8th
- Mahinarangi Mahuta, born 2nd March 1929.
- Manuwhiri Tonga Tom Mahuta, born 18th July 1932,
married 4th November 1950 in Huntly, Elizabeth Mihimamao Pakihamana
Minhinnick, born 25th May 1932, died 3rd September 1997, and had issue.
He died 7th March 2004 in Huntly.
- Te Rauangaanga Mahuta, died 1951.
King TE RATA Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero
1880 at Hukanui near Huntly, married Te Uranga of Ngati Koroki, died
1935, and had issue. He died 1st October 1933 at Waahi, buried 8th
October at Taupiri Mountain Cemetary.
- King KOROKI Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero
- Taipu Mahuta, died young.
King KOROKI Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
born 1909 at Waahi, hereditary chief of the Waikato and allied tribes
and paramount chief of the Ngati Mahuta branch of the Waikato tribe; married 1930, Te Atairangikahu
Herangi (see above),
and had issue. He died 18th May 1966 at Ngaruawahia, buried 23rd May
on Taupiri Mountain.
- Princess Piki Mahuta, later Te Arikinui Dame Te Ata-i
Rangi-Kahu Koroki Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
(by Te Atairangikahu) (qv)
- Princess Tuura Julia Mahuta (by Te Paea)
- (A) Sir Robert Te Kotahitangi-Koroki Mahuta (adopted
born 26th April
1939 in Te Kuiti, married 1964, Eliza Irimania Edmonds, and had issue.
died 31st January 2001.
- Tukaroto Koroki Mahuta, born 1964.
- Nanaia Cybele Mahuta, born 21st August 1970.
- Tipa Te Atawhai Serena Mahuta, born 1971.
Te Arikinui Dame Te Ata-i Rangi-Kahu Koroki Te
Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero 1966/2006, O.N.Z (1987), D.B.E.
(1970), born 23rd July 1931, educated at the Rakaumanga Primary School
and Hamilton Diocesan School for Girls; patron of
Women's Welfare League, patron of the National Kohanga Reo Trust, and
patron of Nga Puna Waihanga; awarded an Honorary Doctorate from
Waikato University (1973), and an Honorary Doctor of Laws from Victoria
University (1999); married 1952, Whatumoana
Paki, and had
issue. She died 15th August 2006 in Ngaruawahia,
near Hamilton, and was buried 21st August 2006 at Taupiri
- Heeni Katipa (née Paki)
- Tomairangi Paki
- Te Ariki Tuheitia Paki (qv)
- Kiki Soloman (née Paki)
- Mihi Gabrielle Paki
- Maharaia Paki
- Te Manawanui Clarkson (née Paki)
Te Arikinui Tuheitia Paki