|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Kingship established 2nd May 1858, surrender to New
Zealand Government occurred on 12th August 1881. Rulers
- King POTATAU Te Wherowhero 1858/1860, born
c1800, son of Te Rauangaanga, Chief of the Ngati
Mahuta Hapu of the Waikato tribes, and Te Parengaope
of the Ngati Koura, Paramount Chief of the Waikato
tribes and 1st Maori King, installed 2nd May 1858 at
Waikato, married Whakaawi of Ngati Mahuta, and had
issue. He died 25th June 1860.
- King TAWHIAO Matutaera Te Pukepuke Te
Karato Te-a-Potatau Te Wherowhero (qv)
- Te Paea, died 1875.
- Makareta Te Otaota
King TAWHIAO Matutaera Te Pukepuke Te Karato
Te-a-Potatau Te Wherowhero 1860/1894, born c1825,
married 1stly Hera, married 2ndly, Rangiaho, married
3rdly Aotea, [daughter of Paratene Maioha, and
his wife, Ngawhare Te Hinaki], and had issue. He died
26th August 1894 at Parawera near Kihikihi, buried
24th September 1894 on Taupiri Mountain.
- Tiahuia Mahuta (by Hera), born 1853, married Te
Tahuna Herangi of Ngati Apakura, born 1855, died 5th
April 1944, and had issue. She died April 1898.
- Hera Herangi, born 1880, married 1stly,
Tungia Te Ao, married 2ndly, Hema Te Ao (father
of her 1st husband), married 3rdly, Whetu Kingi.
She died sp 1955/1956.
- Te Puea Herangi, born 9th November 1883
in Whatiwhatihoe, died sp on 12th
October 1952 in Ngaruawahia, buried 19th October
- Te Ngaehe Herangi
- Tamati Herangi, born 1885, died young.
- Wanakore Herangi, born 1887, married and
had issue. He died April 1951.
- Te Atairangikahu Herangi, married 1930,
King KOROKI Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
Wherowhero, and had issue (see below).
- Te Atarua Piri Herangi, born 1889,
married about 1917, Tumate Mahuta (see below).
She died 12th November 1918.
- King Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero (by
- Te Wherowhero Tawhiao (by Hera), married Tamurangi
Manahi of Ngati Tamaoho, and had issue. He died
- Tawera Te Wherowhero, born 16th April 1891,
married Raiha Urupikia, born 24th December 1891,
died 6th February 1946 in Auckland, daughter of Te
Whiu Himiona, and his wife, Ani Pairua, and had
issue. He died 5th February 1942.
- Piupiu Te Wherowhero, born 1886/1887 in
Whatiwhatihoe, married 1stly, Kainuku Vaikai, a
kinsman of Makea Nui, the Arikitangi of Rarotonga,
married 2ndly, Hiroka aka Hikaka Hetet, and had issue.
She died 29th October 1937 in Arapuni, buried 2nd
November 1937 on Taupiri Mountain.
- Manahi Vaikai, born about 1915, married
Mei Makoare, born 1st May 1916, died 30th
August 1984, daughter of Nuia Makoare, and his
wife, Kahakaha Pohatu, and had issue. He died
26th September 1970.
- Te Amohia Hetet, married Robert
Jeremiah Ormsby, and had issue.
- Robert Jeremiah Ormsby, he was
adopted by King Koroki (see below), and
changed his name by deed poll to (Sir)
Robert Te Kotahitangi-Koroki Mahuta.
- Haunui Tawhiao (by Rangiaho), married Hini
Tarawhiti and had issue. He died November 1945.
- Tia Hua Haunui Tawhiao, born 21st January 1911.
- Pokaia Tawhiao (by Rangiaho)
- Puahaere Tawhiao (by Aotea), maried 1stly, James
MacKay Junior, had issue, one son and one daughter,
married 2ndly, Reutana Te Ngaro, had issue, one
daughter, married 3rdly, Te Popoki Te Kurapae, had
issue, twin sons, and had issue.
- Parearohi (Arihia) MacKay, she married
Rameka Hape, and had issue.
- Hauauru Rameka
- Hone Rameka
- Henare Rameka
- Tirakahurangi Rameka
- Mihingarangi Rameka, stillborn.
- Kori Te Oraiti Rameka
- Te Urunga Rameka
- Tuwharetoa Rameka
- Ngawini MacKay
- Puahaere (by Reutana)
- Tame Te Kurapae (twin)
- Ngamotu Te Kurapae (twin)
King MAHUTA Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero
1894/1912, born 1855/1855, married Te Marae, daughter
of Chief Amukete Te Kerei, and had issue. He died 9th
November 1912 at Waahi, buried on Taupiri Mountain.
- King TE RATA Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero
- Taipu Mahuta, born 1892, married Te Uira Te Heuheu
Tukino, born 2nd December 1893 in Auckland, daughter
of Tureiti Te Heuheu Tukino V, Paramount Chief of
the Ngati Tuwharetoa,
died January 1947. He died March 1926.
- Tumate Mahuta, born July 1893 in Waahi, married
about 1917 Te Atarua Piri Herangi, born 1889, died
12th November 1918 (see above). He died 29th April
1938, buried 8th May 1938 on Taupiri Mountain.
- Tonga Mahuta, born 1897 in Hukanui, married Te
Okewhare, died 13th March 1944, and had issue. He
died 13th March 1947 in Waahi, buried on Taupiri
- Charlie Tumate Mahuta, born 6th January 1916 in
Huntly, involved in the Kingitanga movement, a
roading contractor, machinery driver and farmer, a
keen bowls player and pianist, married the
daughter of Hori Paki, and had issue, survived by
three adult children, 18 grandchildren, 32
great-grandchildren and six
great-great-grandchildren. He died 16th November
- Herangi Rereata Mahuta, born 11th August 1921,
died 8th August 1995.
- Mahinarangi Mahuta, born 2nd March 1929.
- Manuwhiri Tonga Tom Mahuta, born 18th July 1932,
married 4th November 1950 in Huntly, Elizabeth
Mihimamao Pakihamana Minhinnick, born 25th May
1932, died 3rd September 1997, and had issue. He
died 7th March 2004 in Huntly.
- Te Rauangaanga Mahuta, died 1951.
King TE RATA Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
Wherowhero 1912/1933, born 1880 at Hukanui near
Huntly, married Te Uranga of Ngati Koroki, died
December 1935, and had issue. He died 1st October 1933
at Waahi, buried 8th October at Taupiri Mountain
- King KOROKI Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
- Taipu Mahuta, died young.
King KOROKI Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau
Te Wherowhero 1933/1966, born 1909 at Waahi,
hereditary chief of the Waikato and allied tribes and
paramount chief of the Ngati Mahuta branch of the Waikato tribe; married 1930,
Te Atairangikahu Herangi (see above), and had issue,
as well as further issue, an adoptive son. He died
18th May 1966 at Ngaruawahia, buried 23rd May 1966 on
- Piki Mahuta, later Te Arikinui Dame Te Ata-i
Rangi-Kahu Koroki Te Rata Mahuta Tawhiao Potatau Te
Wherowhero (by Te Atairangikahu) (qv)
- Tuura Julia Mahuta (by Te Paea)
- (A) Sir Robert Te Kotahitangi-Koroki Mahuta,
born 26th April 1939 in Te Kuiti, afopted in May
1939, married 1964, Eliza Irimania Edmonds, and
had issue. He died 1st February 2001.
- Tukaroto Koroki Mahuta, born 1964.
- Nanaia Cybele Mahuta, born 21st August 1970.
- Tipa Te Atawhai Serena Mahuta, born 1971.
Dame Te Ata-i Rangi-Kahu Koroki Te Rata Mahuta
Tawhiao Potatau Te Wherowhero 1966/2006, O.N.Z (1987),
D.B.E. (1970), born 23rd July 1931, educated at the
Rakaumanga Primary School and Hamilton Diocesan School
for Girls; patron of the Maori
Women's Welfare League, patron of the National
Kohanga Reo Trust, and patron of Nga Puna Waihanga;
awarded an Honorary Doctorate from Waikato
University (1973), and an Honorary Doctor of Laws from
Victoria University (1999); married
1952, Whatumoana Paki, and had issue. She died 15th
August 2006 in Ngaruawahia, near
Hamilton, and was buried 21st August 2006 at
Taupiri Mountain Cemetary.
- Heeni Katipa (née Paki)
- Tomairangi Paki
- Te Ariki Tuheitia Paki (qv)
- Kiki Soloman (née Paki)
- Mihi Gabrielle Paki
- Maharaia Paki
- Te Manawanui Clarkson (née Paki)
Te Arikinui Tuheitia
Paki (see above)