|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The ancestors of the Rain Queens were initially the Rulers
of Monomatapa, a grandson of one of these Mwene
Mutapas was Dzugudini fl.1589, eponymous founder
of a tribe which flourished till the early 1800's,
Mugodo, the ruling chief fathered the first Rain Queen
purportedly by his own daughter. Subsequent Rain
Queens have been descended from the first Queen, though a
rival faction of the royal house has applied to the ANC
Government to have the original male line of their family
restored which was by-passed with the enthronement of
Modjajdji I in 1800. It is likely, however that the ANC
will maintain the line of Rain Queens. The baLobedu
comprise 132 villages and 128 headmen,
scattered over 88 square kilometers. At the last count,
the area was inhabited by just more than 500,000 people
(Census 2006). Rulers were...
- Queen Maselekwane MODJADJI I
1800/1850 or 1854
- Queen Masalanabo or Mankhatene MODJADJI
II 1850/1894 or 1895
- Queen Khesetoane MODJADJI III 1894/1959,
born 1869, married and had issue. She died 1959.
- Queen Makoma MODJADJI IV 1959/1982,
born 1905, married Andreas Maake and had issue. She
- Queen Mokope Modjadji V (qv)
- Queen Mokope MODJADJI V 1982/2001,
born 1936, married Clement Modjadji, and had issue.
She died 28th June 2001
- Prince Hecks Modjadji, member of
the Lebowa homeland parliament.
- Princess Makheale Modjadji, died 25th June
2001 aged 37.
- Mokgomana (Prince) Masopha Edwin
Modjadji, died aged about 40 years on 10th August
2005 at the Makweng Hospital in Limpopo, buried 14th
August 2005 at the Lovedu Royal Cemetary at Maolwe.
- Princess Maria Modjadji, married and had
issue. She died before 2001.
- Queen Makhobo Modjadji VI
- Prince Mpapatla Modjadji (qv)
Makhobo MODJADJI VI, 6th Queen of the
baLobedu [28.6.2001] - [12.6.2005], born 1978, installed
11th April 2003 at Duiwelskloof in the Limpopo
province, had issue by David Mohale, a commoner, one
daughter, and one son by another ineligible partner (#1). She died 12th June 2005
at Polokwane, and was buried 18th June 2005 at the
Lovedu Royal Cemetary at Maolwe.
- Princess Masalanabo Modjajdji, born 2004, and will
be enthroned as Queen Modjadji VII, when she turns
18 years old (#2).
- Prince Mpapatla Modjadji, Regent of the Lobedu
tribe since 2005 (#3),
educated at Polokwane High School; born 1981, married
(his cousin), Princess Mokgawa Modjadji, and has
issue, one daughter.
- Prince Matarapane Modjadji, born 2004.
- Princess (name
unknown) Modjadji, born 27th March 2007 in