LOCATION: Tonga AREA: xx sq.km. CREATION: ca 1650
TITLE: H.R.H. Prince 'Ata LINEAGE: Ha'a Ngata Motu'a SEAT: Kolovai
PRESENT TITLE HOLDER: HRH Prince Viliami Unuaki'otonga Mumu'i Lalakamoe'eiki Tuku'aho [HRH Prince 'Ata], 15th 'Ata (effective 26th September 2006).
born 27th April 1988.
PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY: Originally created about 1650 for Kaumavae, son of Ngata, the 1st Tu'i Kanokupulu, and his wife, Va'etapu around 1650. The direct line became extinct in the 18th century and again in 1960, but the title was recreated in 1989 for the younger son of HM King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV of Tonga. Title holders were...
- Kaumavae, he became the 'Ata in the 17th century, married 'Ilafehi Leiahau Mumui, daughter of Lei'ataua, 2nd Lei'ataua, and his wife, Manusa, daughter of ther 1st Kavamo'unga'one (son of the Tu'iha'amea), and had issue. He died after 1650.
- Fakahau ♂ [aka Fuahau](qv)
- Fiekaniva ♀ (by 'Ilafehi), she married Pulupulutu'i, 1st Ma'afu Takinima, and had issue.
- Mafoa'aeata Fuahau, 1st 'Ata
- Lepolo (by 'Ilafehi)
- Ha'ele (by 'Ilafehi)
- Fakahau, 1st 'Ata, married 1stly, Longola'elelei, daughter of Kolofale, Vaha'i, married 2ndly, Tefa, married 3rdly, Fakatoumafi, and had issue.
- La'akulufo'ohake ♂ (by Longo'elelei) (qv)
- Anga'aetau ♂ (qv)
- Ngahele'osi'i ♂ (qv)
- Taume'e ♂ (qv)
- La'aku Lufo'ohake, 2nd 'Ata, married 'Ilafehi, and had issue.
- Puakahuhua ♂ (qv)
- 'Ufimoala ♂, he married and had issue.
- Nailovolovo ♂
- Sele Lepolo Fie'otakanahe ♀ (or daughter of Fakahau), she married (as his third wife), Hon. Mumui Tupou'ila Mapatongiamanu, 13th Tu'i Kanokupulu, born 1733, died 29th April 1797, and had issue.
- Hon. Finau Tuku'aho ♂, 14th Tu'i Kanokupulu
1793/1797 and 1797/1799, born 1753, married (amongst
others), Mataele, daughter of Veiehala Tu'i Hakauvalu,
and his wife, Vaasi, and had issue. He died 22nd April
- Hon. 'Uluakai ♂, born 1791, married (amongst others), Ngako, and had issue. He died 1839.
- Hon. Paula Halaevalu ♂, born 1817, married Hon.
'Alisi Numa, daughter of Hon. Liuakoetau, 6th
Lavaka, and his wife, Hon. Lupe Ha'amea, and had
issue. He died 1884.
- Hon. Taniela Taufu'i'aevalu ♂, married Mele Sungu Tu'utoa, daughter of Semisi Fifita, and his wife, Milika Fe'aomoemanu, and had issue.
- Tevita 'Ungamotangitau Taufu'i'aevalu ♂,
married Hon. Lisita Ate Tuita, died 17th
September 1917, daughter of Hon. Siaosi
'Ulukivaiola, 6th Tuita, and his wife, Hon.
Lesieli Afu Ha'apai, and had issue (see Tuita)
- Hon. 'Ilaisa'ane Tupou'ahau ♀, married Hon. Masima 'Ata, and had issue (see below).
- Anga'aetau, 3rd 'Ata
- Ngahele'osi'i, 4th 'Ata, married and had issue.
- Telai'afitu ♂ (qv)
- Taume'e, 5th 'Ata
- Puakahuhua, 6th 'Ata, married and had issue.
- Fisi'ihoi ♂ (qv)
- Teukava ♂
- Telai'afitu, 7th 'Ata, married and had issue.
- Anga'aetau ♂
- Piukana ♂, he married and had issue.
- Tofua'ipangai (qv)
- Sefesi, married and had issue.
- 'Ata Sefesi (qv)
- Fisi'ihoi, 8th 'Ata, married Ngaluafe, and had issue.
- Puakahuhua ♂, he married and had issue.
- Ngata ♂, he married and had issue.
- Moe'iaipangai ♀, she married 1stly, Hon. 'Aleamotu'a Tupou I'faletuipapai, 18th Tu'i Kanokupulu, she married 2ndly, Kalisitiane Tutoe Fifitakovi, and had issue (see Tu'i Kanokupulu and Tu'i Ha'angana).
- Mohulamu ♀, she married Lolo'atonga Vaha'i, and had issue (see Vaha'i).
- Mohulamupuku ♀
- Fai'ana ♀
- Ngaluafe ♀
- Lupeha'amea ♀, married Hon. Liuakaetau, 6th Lavaka, and had issue.
- 'Alisi Numa, married Masima 'Ata, and had issue (see below)
- Tauhakau ♂
- Tofua'ipangai, 9th 'Ata, married Tupou, and had issue.
- Fangafua ♀, she married Hon. Finau Tuku'aho'aetau'ifolaha, 14th Tu'i Kanokupulu, and had issue. She died 22nd April 1799.
- Tautalanoa ♂, married and had issue.
- Sefesi 'Ata, 10th 'Ata -/1875, married Mafi Angahiki, and had issue.
- Hon. Siosiua Tautalanoa 'Ata ♂ (qv)
- Masima 'Ata ♂, he married 'Ilaisa'ane Tupou'ahau, daughter of Hon. Paula Halaevalu, and his wife, 'Alisi Numa (see above), and had issue.
- Hon. Tevita Ngahe Manu'opangai 'Ata ♂, married 1885, Hon. Pauline Manutu'ufanga, daughter of Tangata'olakepa Ma'afu (see Niumeitolu), and his wife, 'Akosita Tae Ma'atu, and had issue, as well as further issue by Mele. He died 30th July 1898.
- Hon. Solomone Piutau 'Ulamoleka 'Ata ♂ (qv)
- 'Ilaisaane Fotui (by Mele), born 18th November 1879, she married in 1899, Molitoni Fisi'ihoi Finau (see Tokemoana), born 26th March 1875, died 11th June 1965, and had issue, two children. She died 17th September 1939.
- Fine Falala Finau, born 9th January 1900, died 30th December 1910.
- Tevita Tamata'ane Finau ♂, born 16th March 1903, died 5th August 1904.
- Hon. Tapukitea ♀, married Hon. Finau 'Ulukalala V Siaosi Finau Misini, 6th 'Ulukalala, and had issue.
- Hon. Finau 'Ulukalala VI Siaosi Tangata 'o Ha'amea, 13th 'Ata (see below)
- Timote Saulala Masima ♂
- Seluimatai Masima (by Heulupea'u), married and had issue.
- Siosaia Tautalanoa
- Hon. Siosiua Tautalanoa 'Ata, 11th 'Ata 1875/1904, born 15th August 1828, he was appointed to the 'Ata title on 4th November 1875; married 1stly, Hon. Hulita Kaufo'ou Falekihetoa, died 1891, daughter of Hon. Tupou Tevita 'Ahome'e, 'Ahome'e, and his wife, Hon. Lavinia Longoa'ame'e Melehifo, married 2ndly, Hon. Tupou Vavatau, and had issue, as well as further issue by Luseane Falekihetoa and Vika Fifita, she died 24th October 1926. He died 30th October 1904.
- Sione Lamipeti Vaha'i (by Hon. Hulita), married 'Akosita Teputepu'ovava'u, daughter of Mosese Nau Teputepu, and his wife, Siutiti or Manusiu, and had issue. He died 1936.
- Mele Fepaki ♀
- Mosese Vaha'i ♂
- Langi ♂ (by Luseane)
- Lupe 'Ilaisaane Takipo ♀ (by Vika)
- Latu Humo'a ♂
- Tominika ♂
- Hon. Solomone Piutau 'Ulamoleka 'Ata (PHOTO), 12th 'Ata 1904/1950, born 16th May 1888 in Kolovai, he was appointed to the 'Ata title on 12th November 1904, educated at Newington College, New Zealand 1896/1902; Minister for Lands 1925/1941; he revisited Australia to study banana growing in sub-tropical areas in 1937; he was appointed the 9th Prime Minister of Tonga [20.7.1941] - [12.12.1949]; he was awarded the O.B.E. on 11th August 1948, married 1923, Hon. Fualupe, born 31st October 1901, died 20th November 1985. He died spl on 27th March 1950 in Nuku'alofa (#1 pp.307-308).
- Hon. Finau 'Ulukalala VI Siaosi Tangata 'O Ha'amea, 13th 'Ata 1950/1960, 7th 'Ulukalala [11.11.1938] - [12.9.1960], both these titles remained in abeyance after his death, until they were granted to Prince ʻAhoʻeitu, the third son of the King of Tonga, in 1989; born 15th August 1891, educated at Uruoa Mission School, New Zealand; Governor of Ha'apai 1924/1928, Governor of Vava'u 1928/1929 and 1939/1950; Minister for Police 1951/1960; married in August 1934, Hon. Amelia Tuna Kaimanu Vaea, born 1890, daughter of Hon. Siosaia Loloa'a Tonga, 14th Vaea, and his wife, Hon. Kalolaine Tongilava. He died spl on 12th September 1960 (#1).
- Hon. Eva'ipomana 'Ulukalala, born 5th May 1928 in Nuku'alofa, married The Noble Ve'ehala [Hon. Leilua Vi], 17th Ve'ehala, and had issue. She died 8th September 1997.
- HRH Prince 'Aho'eitu 'Unuaki'O Tonga Tuku'aho [HRH Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka], 1989/2006, 7th Lavaka, 14th 'Ata and 8th 'Ulukalala, 4th Tupouto'a (effective 10th September 2006), born 12th July 1959, educational qualifications are, Master of Arts in International Relations, Bond University, Queensland, Australia, 1998; Diploma in Strategic Studies, United States Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island, USA 1988; Graduate Diploma of Strategic Studies, Australian Joint Services Staff College, Australia 1995; Masters in Defence Studies, University of New South Wales, Australia 1997; Minister of Civil Aviation and Minister for Communications 2001, 12th Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Tonga 2000/2006, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Defence 1998, Commander of the Navy, Tonga Defence Services 1991/1995, Minister for Agriculture and Forestry, Minister of Fisheries, Minister of Marine and Ports, 7th Lavaka 'Ata 1989/2006 and 7th 'Ulukalala 1989/2006, 4th Tupouto'a (effective 10th September 2006); married 11th December 1982 in Nukualofa, HRH Princess Heuifanga Nanasipau'u Vaea, born 8th March 1954, daughter of Hon. Siaosi Tuʻihala ʻAlipate Vaea Tupou, Baron Vaea of Houma, and his wife, Hon. Tuputupukipulotu Ma'afu, and has issue.
- HRH Princess Angelika Latufuipeka Halaevalu Tuku'aho, born 17th November 1983.
- HRH Prince Siaosi Manumataongo 'Alaivahamama'o 'Ahoeitu Konstantin Tuku'aho [HRH Prince 'Ulukalala], born 17th September 1985, 9th 'Ulukalala (effective 26th September 2006)
- HRH Prince Viliami Unuaki'otonga Tuku'aho [HRH Prince
- HRH Prince Viliami Unuaki'otonga Tuku'aho [HRH Prince 'Ata] (see above)
VACANT [12.9.1960] -