LOCATION: Tonga (Houma) AREA: xx sq.km. CREATION: 17xx
TITLE: Baron Vaea of Houma HA'A: Ha'a Havea Lahi SEAT: Houma
PRESENT TITLE HOLDER: The Paloni Vaea (Hon. 'Alipate Tu'ivanuavou Vaea), 16th Vaea and 2nd Baron Vaea of Houma since 2009.
born 18th September 1957, installed as the 16th Vaea on 13th June 2009 and 2nd Baron Vaea of Houma; he enlisted in the Tonga Defense Forces in 1980; served as A.D.C to His Late Majesty King Taufa'ahau Tupou IV 1981/1984; Commanding Officer at Velata Base in Ha'apai 1984/1985; Administrator Officer at Masefield Naval Base at Touliki 1987/1988;Commissioner for the Constitutional and Electoral Commission; appointed Secretary for the Tonga Traditions Committee at the Palace Office on 26th April 1995; married Hon. Siatukimoana Tu'utangahunuhunu Fakafanua, daughter of Hon. Kinikinilau Lelea 'a Fafine Fakafanua [The Noble Fakafanua], 6th Fakafanua, and his wife, Hon. Kalolaine Lataifalefehi 'Ahome'e, and has issue, six children, as well as further issue.
- Hon. Darlene 'Atu'amu'a Hake'ifaleha'akili Vaea
- Hon. Ivana Kalolaine Vaea
- Hon. Agnes Toe'umu Fakaola 'I Fanga Vaea
- Hon. Hulita Tu'ifua Heuifanga Maumautaimi Heimana Vaea
- Hon. Laifone Loloa'atonga Ta'ae'uluafi Tu'ivanuavou Vaea
- Hon. Viliami Vilai Tupou Vaea
- Tele'a 'Asipeli Kupuovanua Tatafu (by Kiufutuna Tatafu of Ma'ufanga)
- Hon. Cassandra Tukuia 'a Purea Tuku'aho (by Nanise Mokofisi of Nukunuku), she was adopted by her paternal grandfather; married 19th July 2008, Hon. Viliami Sione Ngu Takeivulai Tuku'aho, son of Hon. Viliami Tupoulahi Mailefihi Tuku'aho, 7th Fatafehi Tu'ipelehake, and his wife, Hon. Mele Vikatolia Faletau.
- Vaivai [aka Naivai], 1st Vaea, son of Mata'eletu'apiko, 3rd Tu'i Kanokupulu, and his wife, 'Umukisia, married Lupe, and had issue.
- Muni Fouhala'unga or Taungapuaka (qv)
- Muni Taungapuaka, 2nd Vaea, married 1stly, Fīnau Foukihala'unga, daughter of Teukihe'alo'i, 3rd Ve'ehela, and his wife, Tangikinatofetofe, married 2ndly, Lupe, married 3rdly, Mohulamu Fili'aunifo, and had issue.
- Tu'imotuliki ♂ (by Finau), married Mo'ungaelangi, and had issue.
- Vunivalu [aka Numivalu'i'utulangivaka ♂ (qv)
- Finauhu'ia ♂ (qv)
- Finau ♀ (by Fīnau)
- Longa ♀ (by Finau)
- Panimoa Taungapuaka ♂ (by Lupe), married (as his third wife), Falataha or Nukufo'iva'e, 4th Nuku; and had issue.
- Tavalu Taungapuaka ♂ (by Lupe or by Teukava Lavaka), married Fakamoimoikava Lavaka, daughter of Manavahetau Toafa'ohihifo, 4th Lavaka, and had issue, one son.
- Tupou Vaivai Tavalu ♂, married 1stly, Mafipau'u, daughter of Tu'ipulotumatapule (see Tu'i Kanokupulu), and his wife, 'Atu'ohakautapu, married 2ndly, 15th October 1858, Teu Tupou Hausia, born 1837, died 1890, daughter of Hausia, and his wife, Meliame, married 3rdly, 'Ane Finau Pa, daughter of Pa Sovea (see Tu'i Kanokupulu), and had issue. He died 1899.
- Fifita'ila Tupou ♂ (by Mafipau'u), married 1stly, 'Ane Tupoufalefehi 'Ulukalala, daughter of Finau 'Ululukalala III 'Ipou'ono Tu'apasi, 4th 'Ulukalala and 12th Tu'i Vava'u, and his wife, Hon. Siulolovao, married 2ndly, Sela Lolohea, and had issue.
- Siketi Tupou ♂ (by 'Ane)
- Sela Mafipau'u (by 'Ane)
- Tonga Matamoana Tupou ♂, he died 18th July 1928.
- Fakavamoeatu Tupou ♂, he died 2nd June 1930.
- Naukovi Tupou ♀, she died 4th July 1935.
- Fakatoumafi Tupou ♀, she died 20th June 1945.
- Tupou Kapetaua Tupou ♂, born about 1864, married May 1902, Mele Sisi Motu'apuaka, daughter of Sione Fekeila, Motu'apuaka, and his wife, Makelesi Fifita, and had issue. He died 27th August 1929.
- Viliami Fekeila Kapetaua ♂, born 13th May 1903, he died 22nd February 1921.
- Liumei Tupou Kapetaua ♀, born 14th Janauary 1910, she died 24th August 1921.
- Popua Pisila Tupou ♀ (by Mafipau'u), married Hame So'onafai, and had issue.
- Veaniua Tupou ♂ (by Mafipau'u), he died about 1918.
- Sioana ♀ (by Mafipau'u)
- Sione Fifita ♂ (by Mafipau'u)
- 'Uilalelei Vehikite ♂ (by Mafipau'u), (?married Halafau'imoana Vehikite)
- Metuisela Vehikite ♂ (by Mafipau'u), born 18th August 1831, married 1stly, 'Asena Tonga, married 2ndly, Munakifalemei, daughter of Fuapau, and his wife, Noa'isiapua Kaho, married 3rdly, Tupou or Tufui Loholoho, married 4thly, Tufui Tuita, and had issue. He died about 1893.
- Lupemeitakui Vehikite ♀ (by 'Asena), married 'Isileli Fehokotea Tu'ipelehake, and had issue (see Tu'ipelehake).
- Sokopeti 'Atu'ohakautapu ♀ (by Munakifalemei)
- Sione Tuitahalafau Vehikite ♂ (by Tufui), born 4th
June 1871, married 1894, 'Ane Tongo Naupoto, born 8th July 1878, died
18th January 1940, daughter of Siofilisi Naupoto, and his wife, Mele
Moala Tomasi, and had issue. He died 22nd September 1923.
- Sokopeti Vehikite ♀, born 25th December 1894, died
4th June 1896.
- Kalisi Vehikite, born 4th June 1896, died 28th
- Loholoho Vehikite ♂, born 3rd January 1898, he died
5th May 1900.
- Pasikala Vehikite ♂, born 9th May 1900, he died
30th August 1902.
- Tevita Puletau 'Ahoafi Vehikite ♂, born 22nd August
1902, died 28th December 1970.
- Sione Tuitahalafau Vehikite ♂, born 4th July 1904, died 23rd August 1956.
- Sela Mafi Vehikite ♀, born 5th January 1908, died
16th February 1959.
- 'Elina Vehikite ♀, born 8th May 1909, died 4th July
- Samuela Loholoho Vehikite ♂, born 22nd August 1910, died 12th December 1991.
- Lausi'i ♂ (by Mafipau'u), married Ma'u.
- Finau ♂ (by Mafipau'u), married Vea.
- Mele Teukialupe ♀ (by Mafipau'u), married 'Aloko'ulu or Soakai Paipa.
- Sakopo Finau Tupouvaivai ♂ (by Teu or by 'Ane), born 24th April 1862, married 'Alilia Fehia, died 1914, daughter of Timote Tongi Tupaolelangi, and his wife, 'Ana 'Ika Taula, and had issue. He died in 1926.
- Tevita Finau ♂, born 1885, died 3rd August 1889.
- Siliva Finau ♂, born 1887, he died young.
- Mounga Finau, born 7th April 1889, died 1890.
- Popua Finau ♀, born 7th April 1889, she died young.
- Valamotu Finau, born 9th July 1890, died 1891/1892.
- Vikatolia Finau ♀, born 1891, died 21st May 1978.
- Militoni Fonua ♂, born 17th March 1893, died 18th November 1965 in San Mateo California.
- 'Ita'aehau Taungapuaka ♂ (by Lupe), married Siulovolovo, and had issue, one son.
- Sione Halaifonua 'Ita'aehau ♂, married 1stly, Fusi
Tupou, married 2ndy, Tapenisi Tule Motu'apuaka, daughter of 'Utuma'atu,
Motu'apuaka, and his wife, Sepiuta, married 3rdly, Susana
Pasini Tu'ivakano, and had issue.
- 'Ane Finau Halaifonua ♀ (by Fusi)
- Lesila Halaifonua ♀ (by Tapenisi), married Sami
Tongotea, son of Taniela Tongotea, and his wife, Lesieli Kaipa (see Lavaka), and had issue.
- Tevita Finau Halaifonua ♂ (by Susana), married Mele
Havea, daughter of Siokatame Havea (see Tokemoana),
and his wife, Tapaita Maile Kioa, and had issue.
- Seluvaia Tongi Finau ♀, born 27th January 1871, married, Salesi Moimoi Lasike, and had issue (see Lasike). She died 2nd November 1959 in Nuku'alofa.
- Feleti Finau ♂
- Molitoni Fisi'ihoi Finau ♂, born 26th March 1880,
married 1899, 'Ilaisaane Fotui
Ata, born 18th November 1879,
died 17th September 1939, daughter of Hon. Tevita Manu'opangai,
5th Ata, and by Mele, and had issue (see 'Ata). He died 11th June 1965.
- 'Ema Finau ♀
- 'Ofakivava'u Finau ♀
- Tangisi Finau
- Penitani Finau ♂
- Nau Finau
- Salote Finau ♀
- Takai Tali Finau ♂, he died young.
- Tonga'uiha Finau Halaifonua ♀ (by Susana)
- Leka Halaifonua ♀ (by Susana), died 1882.
- Vunivalu'i'utulangivaka, 3rd Vaea, married, and had issue.
- Hafoka Ve'eono ♂
- Tu'ivakanofisi ♂ (qv)
- Taulakau ♂, married Mo'ungao'elangi, and had issue.
- Funaki Malohi ♂ (qv)
- Lomu ♂
- Tautalanoa Tau ♂
- Mite Nau ♂ (by Naupuku)
- Veatokelau ♀
- Tupou Finau Fe'ao ♀
- Finau Lahi Vaea ♂, married Lauaki, and had issue.
- Ma'u Lauaki ♀, married Tupou Feletoa, son of Hoko'ila 'Ata'ata'ohihifo, and his wife, Lavaka Fusi, and had issue.
- Tu'ivakanofisi, ?4th Vaea
- Finauhu'ia, 5th Vaea -/1844, married 1stly, Taufa Popaofehi, daughter of Chief Fulivai, married 2ndly, Fifita Ha'amotuku Tu'ilakepa, married 3rdly, Tupou Vavatau, married 4thly, Mo'ungaelangi, married 5thly, Siekina Etau Fakatulolo, and had issue. He died 20th June 1844.
- Hon. Hivapeaulu ♂ (by Taufa or by Siekina) (qv)
- Hon. Tamata'ane ♂ (by Taufa or by Tupou or by Siekina) (qv)
- Tupou Mapumeihengalu ♀ (by Fifita), married Fatafehi Fonohema Tau'atevalu, ?6th Valu of Utalu, and had issue.
- Kueaipangai ♂ (by Mo'ungaelangi)
- 'Atamokamea ♂ (by Mo'ungaelangi or by Taufa), married Kefu, and had issue.
- Tupou Ha'alalo ♂, he married Taufa Lau'eiki.
- Tavamopulenga ♂ (by Mo'ungaelangi or by Taufa)
- 'Umu'umu ♀ (by Mo'ungaelangi or by Taufa)
- Hon. Hivapeaulu, 6th Vaea 1844/1869, married 1stly, Finau Fakahau, married 2ndly, Veamotulalo, and had issue. He died 1869.
- Hon. Sione Tava Vaea ♀ (by Veamotulalo) (qv)
- Tupou Finau Fe'ao Vaea ♂, married Moeakiola, son of Takai, Hau of Tongatapu (see Tu'i Kanokupulu), and his wife Puleilangite, daughter of Hafoka, Chief of 'Eua, and had issue.
- Samikusokusa Vaea ♂ (by Finau), married Hulita Tufunga, and had issue.
- 'Ilaisaane Tupou Vaea ♀
- Tupou Ta'ea Vaea ♀, married Tu'ione 'Ula.
- Lavinia Ikatonga Mau ♀ (by Veamotulalo), married Sovea Niupalavu, and had issue (see Tu'i Kanokupulu).
- 'Akesa Te'epuaka Vaea ♀ (by Veamotulalo)
- Hon. Tamata'ane,
7th Vaea 1869/1876; married Hon. Hingano
Vaimoana, died 1st November 1881, daughter of Fono'uto, and
his wife, Feangai, and
had issue. He died about 1876.
- Hon. Viliame Kafokuota
Vaea ♂ (qv)
- Hon. Solome Kulikefu Vaea ♂ (qv)
- Hon. Vaeakiataele Vaea ♀
- Hon. Shadrach Nuku Vaea ♂ (qv)
- Hon. Mite Nau Vaea (qv)
- Hon. Sione Hafoka Vaea ♂, born 22nd November 1848, married 1869, Sepiuta Funaki, and had issue. He died 13th December 1890.
- 'Ilisapesi Faiana Hafoka ♀, born 15th August 1877, married Tomeniko Moala, born 7th June 1874, died 30th July 1912, son of Atu Tu'ivakanofisi, and his wife, Fehoko, and had issue. She died 1945.
- Tae Moala ♀, born 15th November 1896, died 10th
- Siosiua Po'oi Moala ♂, born 14th June 1900.
- Hon. Finau Vaea ♀, born 6th October 1850, died 6th April
- Hon. Sia Vaea ♀, born 1st January 1852.
- Hon. Funaki Malohi, 8th Vaea 1876/18xx
- Hon. Mite Nau, ?9th Vaea 18xx/18xx, born in December 1847, died 11th April 1907.
- Hon. Sione Tava Vaea,
10th Vaea 18xx/1885, he was deprived of his
1885, married (a), Hon. Taetuna'ula, daughter of Liufau, Tu'i Ha'angana, and his wife,
Puleilangite, married (b), Falekihetono Malupo, daughter of 'Etueni Ika
Tu'i Malupo (see Malupo), and his wife,
Tupou Veito'o, married (c), 'Umuvaka, daughter of Fa'e (see Tu'i Ha'atakalaua), and his wife,
Fala'aetau, and had issue. He died
- Hon. Fakatoumafi Vaea ♂ (by Taetuna'ula)
- Hon. Siukiholeva Vaea ♀ (by Taetuna'ula)
- Hon. Vaohoi Vaea ♀, married Hon. Vaha'i Lasike [?Hon. Taniela Mahe Pikokivaka Lasike], and had issue.
- Piutau Vaea ♀ (by 'Umuvaka)
- Tupou Manumatavai Vaea ♂ (by 'Umuvaka), married 'Ohuafi
Motu'apuaka, and had issue.
- Hon. Viliame Kafokuota Vaea, 7th/11th Vaea 1885/1886; born 4th July 1831 in Houma, married Hon. Tongakovi Mumui, born 29th July 1833, died about 1898, daughter of Mumui, and his wife, Popua Toholo, and had issue. He died 6th August 1886 in Houma.
- Hon. Kalolaine Tuipekihelotu Vaea ♀, born 15th July 1857 in Houma, married 4th December 1869 in Nuku'alofa, Hon. Saletili Tu'uhetoka, and had issue (see Tu'uhetoka). She died about 1920.
- Hon. Kafoa Vaea ♂
- Hon. Mai 'Ohihifo Vaea ♂
- Hon. Kalolaine Tuipe Vaea ♀
- Hon. Vaimoana Mei Vaea ♀
- Hon. Solome Kulikefu Vaea,
12th Vaea 1886/1887; married 1stly, Hon.
Fekita, born 1840, died 1910, married 2ndly, Mohe Lavaka, and had
issue. He died 9th October 1887.
- Hon. Siosaia Pau'uvale Loloa'atonga Vaea ♂ (qv)
- Hon. Tupouseini Vaea ♀
- Hon. Fatafehi Hapaha Vaea ♀
- Hon. 'Amelia Tuna Vaea ♀
- Mele Sivale Vaea ♀ (by Mohe)
- Hon. Shadrach Nuku Sitaleki Vaea, 13th Vaea 1887/1893, married Hon. Tupou Veiongo, and had issue. He died 30th July 1893.
- Hon. Talanoa Fuka Sitaleki Vaea ♂, born 16th June 1891, married Sepiuta Falepapalangi, died 9th June 1940. He died 21st May 1965.
- Hon. Moeakiola Vaea ♂
- Hon. Siosaia Pau'uvale Loloa'atonga Vaea, 14th Vaea 1893/1939, born about 1860, married Hon. Kalolaine Tongilava, born 1866, died 20th July 1950, daughter of Sione Filipe Taufa Tongilava, and his wife, Seluvaia Tupou'uluiki, and had issue. He died 1939
- Hon. Tupou Seini Manumatavai Vaea ♀, born 21st February
1888 in Houma,
Tongatapu, married 18th March
1919 in Nuku'alofa, Hon. Viliami Vilai Tupou, natural son of HM King
George Tupou II
of Tonga, and
had issue (see Tupou), eight children and two
adopted children. She died 13th
September 1973 in Houma.
- Hon. 'Alipate Halakilangi Tau'alupeoko Tupou ♂ (qv)
- Hon. 'Amelia Tuna Kaimanu Vaea ♀, born 1890, married in August 1934, Hon. Finau 'Ulukalala VI Siaosi Tangata'o Ha'amea, Ata and 7th 'Ulukalala, born 15th August 1891, died 12th September 1960, and adoptive issue. She died sp.
- (A) Takukipulotu Finau ♀, married Robert Topui, and had issue (see below).
- Hon. Finauhuia Vaea ♂, born 1892.
- Hon. Popua Vaea ♀, born 1894.
- Hon. 'Alipate Halakilangi Tau'alupeoko Tupou [Baron Vaea of Houma], 15th Vaea [16.5.1942] - [7.6.2009], born 15th May 1921, educated at Tupou College in Tonga 1933/1937, at Wesley College, Auckland 1938/1941 at Oxford University, U.K. 1967/1968; served in the Royal New Zealand Armed Forces 1942/1945; Member of the Tonga Civil Service 1945/1953; A.D.C. to HM Queen Salote 1954/1959, Acting Governor of Vava'u [30.10.1958] - , Governor of Ha'apai [19.9.1960] - ; first Commissioner and Consul of Tonga in the U.K. 1969; First Tongan High Commissioner to London 1970/1972, 1st Minister for Labour, Commerce and Industries 1972/1991; Deputy Minister of Finance; Director of Chairman of many varied Committees, including Chairman of the National Reserve Bank of Tonga, Chairman of the Tonga Broadcasting Commission and Chairman of the Tonga Telecommunications Commission; Minister of Agriculture and Forestry 1975/2000; Minister of Fisheries; Minister of Marine and Ports; acted as Deputy Prime Minister on numerous occasions, and as Minister of Education and Civil Aviation, and of Finance; 12th Prime Minister of Tonga 1991/2000; installed as the 1st Baron Vaea of Houma [cr. 4.6.1970] by HM the King of Tonga, appointed Vaea 16th May 1942 (#1 p.319), awarded the New Zealand Commemorative Medal in 1990, awarded the Medal of Merit of the Republic of Chile in 1993, awarded the Silver Jubilee Medalof the Coronation of H. M. KingTaufa'ahau Tupou IV in 1996, awarded the Order of Tahiti Nui from the Government of French Polynesia in 1999, awarded the Agricola Medal by theUnited Nations Food and AgriculturalOrganization (FAO) in 2001 and was made Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Queen Salote in 2008; married 1952, Hon. Tuputupu'opulotu Ma'afu [Baroness Vaea of Houma], born 1920, daughter of Hon. Siosaia Lausi'i, 8th Ma'afutuku'iaulahi, and his wife, Hon. 'Anaukihesina Mafile'o, and had issue, six children as well as an adopted daughter and further issue. He died 7th June 2009 at his home, 'Tali ki Ha'apai' at Houma, Tongatapu and was buried in the Kolomanatau Cemetary in Houma on 13th June 2009.
- HRH Princess Heuifanga Nanasipau'u Vaea ♀, born 8th March 1954 in Nuku'alofa, educated at Queen Salote College, in Nuku'alofa, then in Melbourne, Australia for two years, before joining her family in England where her father had been appointed Tonga's first High Commissioner to Great Britain, studied there for a further five years, chairperson of both Queen Salote College Old Girls' Association executive committee and PPSEAWA Tonga's steering committee. She is also an active member of the PTA and assists in various committees in her village. Included in her work with women is her service as a patron of the Women's and Children's Centre, YWCA, the Alcohol and Drug Awareness Centre and the Hihifo District's Women's Committee, she married 11th December 1982, HRH Crown Prince Tupouto'a Lavaka ['Aho'eitu 'Unuaki'otonga Tuku'aho] of Tonga, and has issue.
- Hon. Luseane Fakaola'ifanga Vaea ♀ [Lady Luani], married The Nopele Luani (Hon. Sione Laumanu'uli Luani), and has issue, three children.
- Hon. 'Alipate Tu'ivanuavou Vaea ♂ (qv)
- Hon. 'Amelia Luoluafetu'u Vaea ♀, married Hon. Havea Hikule'o 'o Pulotu, [The Noble Lasike Tu'uhetoka], and had issue (see Lasike).
- Hon. Viliami Moimoikimofuta Kaifahina Vaea ♂ (+)
- Hon. Ratu Edward Palalaika'a Tungi Vaea ♂ (+)
- 'Amelia Salote Tanginitopa Tupou ♀, she was adopted by Hon. Tupou Seini Manumatavai Vaea; married Viliami Taukafa 'Alipate, and has issue.
- Sabrina Monet 'Alipate ♀
- Josiah Tui'onetoa 'Alipate ♂
- Takukipulotu Finau Tupou ♀, adopted by Hon. 'Amelia Tuna Kaimanu Vaea (see above); married Robert Topui, and has issue.
- Michelle Topui ♀, married Robert Wolfgramm, and has issue.
- Robert Wolfgramm
- Tyanna Topui ♀
- Amy Topui ♀
- Lisa Topui ♀
- Tiani Tupou ♀, married Molofaha Fulivai, and has issue, three children (see Fulivai)
- Telesia Pasina ♀, married Mr. Mckenzie.
- Seluvaia Fekitoa ♀
- Fakatafaimoana Vea ♀, married Mr. Halaholo.
- Tukio Afeaki ♂, married Robina Nakao, daughter of Tutomu
Nakao, and his wife, Alvina Rosemund Wolfgramm (see Wolfgramm Family),
1959, and has issue, one
- Mateki Nakao-Afeaki ♀
- Hon. 'Alipate Tu'ivanuavou Vaea [Baron Vaea of Houma] (see above)