|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
The area that would later be known as Buganda was ruled by
a chief known as Bbemba Musota. The area was lost to Kintu
Kato, who founded the Kingdom of Buganda and became its
first Kabaka in the first quarter of the 14th century.
- Ssekabaka NDAULA, married and had issue.
- Ssekabaka KAGULU (qv)
- Ssekabaka KIKULWE (qv)
- Ssekabaka MAWANDA (qv)
- Prince Musanju, had issue.
- Ssekabaka NAMUGALA (qv)
- Ssekabaka KYABUGU (qv)
- Ssekabaka MWANGA I (qv)
Ssekabaka KIKULWE, married (amongst others)
Nnakabugo, daughter of Mugema of the Nkima clan.
Ssekabaka MAWANDA -/1740
Ssekabaka MWANGA I 1740/1741
Ssekabaka NAMUGALA 1741/1750
Ssekabaka KYABAGGU, 25th Kabaka of Buganda
1750/1780, married and had issue. He died about 1780.
- Ssekabaka JJUNJU (qv)
- Ssekabaka SEMAKOKIRO (qv)
Ssekabaka JJUNJU, 26th Kabaka of Buganda
1780/1796, died 1796.
Ssekabaka SEMAKOKIRO [Wasajja], 27th Kabaka
of Buganda 1796/1814, married (amongst others)
Sikyayinza and Bwayita, daughters of Jjumba of the
Nkima clan, and had issue. He died 1814.
- Ssekabaka KAMANYA [Mukasa] (qv)
Ssekabaka KAMANYA [Mukasa], 28th Kabaka of
Buganda 1814/1836, married (amongst others), the
following members of the Nkima clan, Basiima daughter
of Katesigwa, Kisibyoomunyolo daughter of Jjumba,
Mpozaaki daughter of Katesigwa, Mukwano daughter of
Mugema, Nabikukku daughter of Jjumba, Nabiswaazi
daughter of Jjumba, Siribatwaalira daughter of [not
known], and had issue. He died 1836.
- Ssekabaka SUNA II (qv)
- Prince Naku
- Prince Kiterara
Ssekabaka SUNA II [Kalema], 29th Kabaka of
Buganda 1836/1856, married (amongst others) the
following members of the Nkima clan, Bayita daughter
of Mugema, Gwendisanga daughter of Mugema, Kalaba
daughter of Mugema, Kizaala I daughter of Mugema,
Kizaala II daughter of Gombe, Mukulukyayogera daughter
of Kaliisa, Muzaayirwa daughter of Mugema, Mwanza
Muyima daughter of [not known], Nnabiiki I daughter of
Mugema, Nnabiiki II daughter of Mugema, Nnakasala
daughter of Mugema, Nnakuttanya daughter of Kinyolo,
Nalisanga daughter of Kaliisa, Nnassozi daughter of
Ttondo, Nnundayalusi daughter of Jjumba, Siriiko
daughter of Mugema, Tebandowooza daughter of Mugema,
Wabulenseko daughter of Ndagala, and had issue. He
died in October 1856.
- Prince Kajumba
- Prince Kiyimba
- Prince Nuhu Mbogo, had issue. He died 1921.
- Prince Badru Kakungulu Wasajja, born 20th July
1907, married and had issue. He died 1991 (#1).
- Prince Kassim Nakibinge, fl.2000
- Prince Dina Nanirembe
- Ssekabaka Mukabye MUTESA I (qv)
- Prince Selwola
- Princess Nassolo
- Prince Kyebatula
- Prince Lukanga
- Prince Wampaba
- Prince Kato
- Prince Bairye
- Prince Nawati
- Prince Kiwewa
Ssekabaka Mukabya MUTESA I, 30th Kabaka of
Buganda 1856/1884, born about 1837, under the
influence of traders and missionaries he converts
firstly to Islam in 1868, then to Christianity in 1877
and finally to Animism in 1879; married (amongst
others), Mukomutanda, Nnamukasa and Sayi, daughters of
Mugema of the Nkima clan, Mugolooba daughter of Jjumba
of the Nkima clan, and had issue. He died 10th October
1884 at Kasubi.
- Prince Junju, died 1882.
- Prince Luswatta, died 1882.
- Prince Mawanda, died 1882/3.
- Kabaga Danieri Basamula MWANGA II (qv)
- Prince Kimera
- Ssekabaka KIWEWA (qv)
- Ssekabaka KALEMA (qv)
- Princess Clara Nalumansi
- Daughter, married (div.1905) Semei Lulaklenzi
Ssekabaka Danieri Basamula MWANGA II Basammula-Ekkere,
Kabaka of Buganda [24.10.1884] - [10.9.1888] and
[5.10.1889] - [9.8.1897], born 1867, he was overthrown
by his bodyguard in 1888 and succeeded by his brother
as Kabaka of Buganda; married (amongst others), Lady
Evelyn Kulabako, and had issue. He died 1903 in the
- Prince Kagolo
- Prince Mere Mazi
- Prince Yusufu Suna Kiwewa
- Capt. HH Ssekabaka Sir DAUDI CHWA II (by Lady
Evelyn Kulabako) (qv)
Ssekabaka MUTEBI II KIWEWA, 32nd Kabaka of
- [21.10.1888], overthrown by the powerful Arab
faction; married and had issue, 24 sons. He died 1889.
- Prince Mazi
- Prince Siribwa
- Prince Walulyo
- Prince Kibuka
- Prince Nabada
- Prince Muinda
- Prince Augustin Tibandeke/Gusito Tebandeka
- Prince Nasuswa
- Prince Lulaba
- Prince Namulenzi
- Prince Kagunya
- Prince Lukongwa
- Prince Kiwanuka
- Prince Walalyo
- Prince Gulubagwire
- Prince Sekamanya
- Prince Mwanga
- Prince Kagere
- Prince Chwa
- Prince Ngeza
- Prince Namika
- Prince Musisi
Ssekabaka KALEMA Muguluma, 33rd Kabaka of
Buganda [21.10.1888] - [5.10.1889], married and had
issue, five sons and several daughters. He died 1890.
- Prince Besemerisi Dimbwe
- Prince Zimbe
- Prince Alamalani Ndaula
- Prince Yuniya Kamuwanda
- Prince Yozefu Musanje Walugembe
- Princess Maria Kamuhanda
- Daughter, married Semei Lulaklenzi Kakungulu
Capt. HH Ssekabaka Sir DAUDI CHWA II, 34th
Kabaka of Buganda [14.8.1897] - [22.11.1939], born 8th
August 1896 in Mengo, C.M.G. (Hon.)[cr.1918], K.C.M.G.
(Hon.)[cr.1925], married (amongst others) (a), 14th
September 1914 in St Paul's Cathedral, Namirembe (#2), Lady Irene Drusilla
Namaganda, born 1896, died 1957 (married 2ndly, 1941,
Canon Peter Kigozi, born 1915, died 2010), daughter of
Reverend Yonasani Ka'izi, married (b), a sister of
Omutaka Nelson Sebugwawo (grandfather of Queen
Sylvia), married (c), another sister of Omutaka Nelson
Sebugwawo, and had issue, 14 children. He died 22nd
November 1939 (#3)
in Kampala, buried at Kasubi.
- Princess Alice Zalwango, born 1914, died 30th
- Prince George William Mawanda-Chwa, born 1919,
Prince of Salaama, married and has issue, fl.1999.
- Princess Victoria Muggale, born about 1952,
Nnalinya -/1999, died 7th January 1999, buried
14th January 1999.
- Prince Lincoln Ndaula
- Prince Harold Henry Kimera, married and has issue,
- Prince Christian Sekamanya Kimera, born in
- Prince Daudi Muwenda Kimera, born in London,
- Princess Barbara Lwantale Mulira, born in
London, U.K., married Aggrey Mulira, and has
issue, two children.
Ayrton Mulira, born 1987.
Dionte Mulira, born 1994.
- Princess Jasmine Naluwembe Kimera, born in
- Prince Henry Kalemera Kimera, born in London,
- Farida Nanchwa Dembe Kimera, born in London,
- Princess Victoria Nabaloga, dec.
- HH Ssekabaka Frederick Edward Mutesa II (qv)
- Princess Irene, deceased.
- Prince Henry Suna fl.1979
- Prince David Alexander Ssimbwa, born 1933, put
forward as a rival Ssekabaka in 1999, by a group of
dissident Royal Family members, married and has
- Princess Eresi Balilala Nakayenga [Mrs. Edward
- Princess Elina Zalwango
- Princess Evelyn Nachwa
- Prince Joseph Walugembe
- Prince David Bamweyana
- Prince Tebandeke
- Prince Mukuma
- Prince Muwenda
- Prince Peter Kayondo, deceased.
- Prince Kigala, deceased.
- Prince George Juko, born 1930, had issue. He died
- Princess Irene Jemaima Ndagire, Nnalinya (Keeper
of the Kasubi Royal Tombs), 9th January to 23rd
- Princess Evelyne Nacwa, Nnalinya, aged 76 at 19th
- Princess Elizabeth Nakabiri, Nnaalinya fl.2009
- Princess Edith Dorothy Nabweteme, Nnaalinya
fl.2009, married Kasoma Zake, son of Joshua Zake,
and has issue.
- Prof. Fredrick H.M. Semazzi,
born 28th April 1953, married Lucy, and has
- Dorothy Semazzi, born 1982.
- Francis Semazzi, born 1987,
- Joshua Semazzi, born 1988.
- Princess Beatrice Muggale, fl.2009
HH Ssekabaka Edward William Frederick Walugembe
Mutebi Luwangula MUTESA II, 35th Kabaka of
Buganda [23.11.1939] - [24.5.1966], President of
Uganda 1963/1966, born 19th November 1924 in Kampala (#4), married (a) 19th November
1948 in Namirembe Cathedral, Queen Damali Nnakawombe
Kisosonkole, born 26th September 1930, died 12th July
2010, member of the Nkima clan, Nnaabagareka of
Buganda; elder daughter of Christopher Sekkuuma
Kisosonkole, and his wife, Victoria Nalwanga Mukasa,
educated at Buddo Junior School, at Kings College,
Buddo and later at Shabon College, U.K.; she was the
first president of the Girl Guides Association in
Uganda; married (b), Omuzaana Kabejja Sarah Nnalule
Kisosonkole, born 1931, died 1974, younger daughter of
Christopher Sekkuuma Kisosonkole, and his wife,
Victoria Nalwanga Mukasa, married (c), Omuzaana
Nalwoga, married (d), Lady Magdalene Lubuga Buwomyaki,
married (e), Lady Eriosi Nalwoga, married (f),
Princess Kaakako Rwanchwende of Ankole, married (g),
Princess Winifred Keihangwe of Ankole, married (h),
Lady Nesta M. Rugumayo, a Batoro, married (i),
Princess Beatrice Kabasweka, daughter of daughter of
Omukama Daudi Kasagama Kyebambe IV of Toro, married (j), Princess
Katherine Karungu, niece of the former Omukama
Gasyonga of Ankole, and had
issue. He died 21st November 1969 in London, buried
4th April 1971 in Kasubi.
- Prince (Omulangira) Suna Frederick Wampaba
(by Lady Damali Kisosonkole), killed in 1972 while
on duty at the northern military outpost of Bondo.
- Prince Robert Masambwa Kimera Kiwewa (by Lady
Nesta Rugumayo), born 1950, educated at St. Maryís
College, Kisubi; he has worked in various
professions, including teaching and veterinary
medicine, currently he is involved in his Geophysics
profession in Canada.
- HH Kabaka Ronald Muwenda MUTEBI II (by Lady Sarah
- Prince Henry Kalemera (by Queen Damali
Kisosonkole), born 1955, studied Aeronautical
Engineering in Ethiopia and is now working as a
flight engineer for the American Airlines; married
Eva Zake, and has issue, two daughters and a son.
- Prince Daudi Ssimbwa Kazibwe Golooba (by Lady
Magdalene), born 4th April 1955, grew up with his
sisters, Sarah Kagere and Agnes Nabaloga, at the
home of Mr. Bulasio Kalinabiri Kavuma, a former
Saazza Chief and Minister of Finance in the
Buganda Government; educated at King's College, Budo
1961/1971, matriculating with three "A" levels, and
at Makerere Universty studying Economics and
Political Science (B.A. Hons. 1976); represented the
school in Football, Athletics, Tennis, Volley Ball
and captained the School cricket team (winning a
Cricket Cup), married Lady Mariana Nagawa Lubogo,
daughter of Justice David Kunya Luboga, and his
wife, Sarah Lubogo, and has issue.
- Princess Nakayenga Ndagire, educated at
Makerere University (Economics and Statistics),
employed with Centenary Bank; married Godfrey
Kyagulanyi, Surveyor for Umeme (formerly the
Uganda Electricity Board), and has issue, two
- Princess Zalwango Kamuwanda, a designer,
married Edward Bakojja, Headmaster of Kawempe
Moslem Secondary School, Lecturer in Mathematics
at Kyambogo University and Mengo Secondary School,
and has issue, a daughter and a son and a set of
- Prince Simbwa Sekamanya Arnold Simeon Cuthbert
Elvis, educated at Makerere University (Library
and Information Science), formerly employed as a
Bursar at Kabojja Primary School, presently (2007)
employed with Yellow Pages Express Ltd (a courier
company); married Hadija Bisirikirwa, educated at
Makerere University (B.A. Education), sometime
teacher at Kabojja Secondary School, presently
(2007) working with Pride Microfinace as branch
manager, Jinja; and has issue, two sons.
- Prince Nasser Kakungulu Kezekia Golooba
- Prince Nadeem Lukanga Kajumba Nakibinge
- Prince Daudi Chwa Tebandeke Mbogo, presently
(2006) studying Economics and Business
Administration at Reading University.
- Princess Nabaloga Nagawa Tebatagwabwe, presently
(2006) studying her "A" levels at St. Dominic's
Catholic College, Harrow-on-the-Hill, in her final
- Prince Ssuuna Kisakye Mukabya, presently (2006)
studying at Pinner Park Middle School, Harrow.
- Prince George Michael Ndawula (by Lady Eriosi
Nalwoga), born 1956.
- Prince Herbert Kateregga (by Princess Kaakako
Rwanchwende of Ankole), born 1964; works for the
local administrations sector in London; has issue,
one son by a Masaka businesswoman.
- Prince David Kintu Wasajja (by Princess Winifred
Keihangwe of Ankole), B.A., born 1966, appointed
executive underwriter for Pan World Insurance;
retail regional manager for Celtel; Member, Buganda
- Prince Michael Ndaula (by Lady Muzaana Nalwoga)
- Prince Patrick Nakibinge Suna (+)
- Prince Richard Walugembe (+) (by Lady Sarah
Kisosonkole), studied Journalism in Ghana, then
worked in fashion and advertising. He is buried on
Kasubi hill, near the tomb of his father.
- Princess Dorothy Namukabya Nassolo (by Lady
Damali), born 1952, educated at Calne School, U.K.
and at Nairobi University (B.A. in English and
History); worked at the Ugandan Embassy in the
U.S.A. and is currently Under-Secretary at the
Health Service Commission, married and has issue,
- Princess Sarah Anna Kagere (by Lady Sarah
Kisosonkole), born 1952, educated at Nairobi
University (B.A. in Political Science); owner and
manager of a chain of menís salons; married Bbale
Mugera, and has issue, three children.
- Princess Dr. Christine Agnes Nabaloga (by Lady
Sarah Kisosonkole), has a Ph.D. in Linguistics,
married Peter Bjornsen, and has issue.
- Princess Dina Kigga Mukarukidi (by Princess
Beatrice Kabasweka), presently working at the
African Union Headquarters in Addis Ababa; married
Robert Ikobo, a Permanent Secretary in Idi Aminís
- Princess (Omumbejja) Alice Namaganda
Zalwango (by Lady Edith Kasozi Bumennya), born 10th
March 1960, educated at Gayaza Junior School, at
Gayaza High School, at Kibuli Secondary School and
at Makerere University; she worked for East African
General Insurance for eight years, before joining
Uganda Commercial Bank for two years; Nnalinya of the Kabaka
Mwanga tomb at Kasubi, married and had issue, four
children. She died 23rd March 2005 in East Pretoria,
buried 31st March 2005 at Kasubi.
- Richard, born 1980.
- Victoria, born 1987.
- Ethel (Goody), born 1995.
unknown), born 2002.
- Princess Dina Teyeggula (by Princess Katherine
Karungu), born October 1966, married (sep.'d.)
Robert Kannuma, Passports Control Officer in the
- Princess Nalinya Stella Alexandra Serwamutanda
Ndagire (by Zibiah Ngatho, a Kikuyu lady), a Speech
and Language Pathologist. (Atlanta, Georgia,
1966/1993, Throne vacant [24.5.1966] -
[8.9.1967], abolished 8th September 1967 and restored
24th July 1993.
- HH Kabaka Ronald Frederick Muwenda MUTEBI II
- Prince Earnest Kayima Mpadwa, Ssaabalangira
- Princess Catherine Nkinzi, cousin of Ssekabaka
- Princess Beatrice Namikka, Nnalinya, installed 23rd
- Prince David Nnamugala