Stephen E. Jones
The Da Vinci Code versus Christianity
[Home] [Site map] [Updates]
[Projects] [Critiques: "Breaking The Da Vinci Code";
"Brown, Dan The Da Vinci Code: A Novel";
"Cracks in the Da Vinci Code";
"Deciphering `The Da Vinci Code'";
"Dismantling The Da Vinci Code";
"The Da Vinci Code - Fiction Based on Fiction";
"The Da Vinci Code: Of Magdalene, Gnostics, the Goddess and the Grail";
"The Da Vinci Code" - the hoax behind the code";
"The Da Vinci Con" &
"Voice of Reason: Exposing the Da Vinci Hoax".]
This was to be my critique of Dan Brown's attacks on Christianity in his best-seller novel, The Da Vinci Code
(2003). However this project has been discontinued in order that I may concentrate on my
book, "Problems of Evolution".
I will leave the links above to critiques of The Da Vinci Code. I have read the following books that show Brown's errors. My comments are in square brackets, with the number of asterisks being my assessment of value (the more the better):
- Abanes R., "The Truth Behind The Da Vinci Code," Harvest House: Eugene OR, 2004. [Concise. Covers the issues. From a Christian perpective.*****]
- Bock D.L., "Breaking The Da Vinci Code: Answers to the Questions Everyone's Asking," Nashville TN, 2004]. [A bit wordy. From a Christian perpective. Covers the issues under the headings of a series of codes. ***]
- Cox S., "Cracking the Da Vinci Code," HarperCollins: London, 2004. [Pulls its punches, but supplies background that corrects Brown's distortions. **]
- Ehrman B.D., "Truth and Fiction in the Da Vinci Code: A Historian Reveals What We Really Know About Jesus," Oxford University Press: Oxford UK, 2004. [Useful because Ehrman is a non-Christian theologian (he denies the resurrection of Jesus) yet he shows that there are many historical errors in The Da Vinci Code (although Ehrman smuggles in some of his own errors). See
an online excerpt from Ehrman's book What Was the Council of Nicea? ***]
- Garlow J.L. & Jones P., "Cracking Da Vinci's Code," Victor: Colorado Springs CO, 2004. [Readable. From a Christian perpective. Covers the issues under a sub-plot of a young woman student's encounter with modern paganism.****]
- Olson C.E. & Miesel S., "The Da Vinci Hoax: Exposing the Errors in The Da Vinci Code," Ignatius Press: San Francisco CA, 2004. [The best yet! ******]
- Welborn A., "De-Coding Da Vinci: The Facts Behind the Fiction of the Da Vinci Code," Our Sunday Visitor: Huntington IA, 2004. [Concise. Covers the main issues. ***]
Copyright © 2005, by Stephen E. Jones. All rights reserved. This page and its contents
may be used for non-commercial purposes only.
If used on the Internet, a link back to my home page at
http://members.iinet.net.au/~sejones would be appreciated.
Created: 24 June, 2005. Updated: 8 November, 2005.