THE NILE CHAPEL
The Nile Chapel, Deddington, Tasmania 7212 was completed ca 1840 and named after the river that it overlooks. In 1824, brothers Robert and Thomas Pitcairn were granted 800 and 640 acres respectively. Thomas, a non practicing medical man, took up residence in 1826 and built 'Nile Farm'. Robert, a solicitor practicing in Hobart received a further adjoining grant of 800 acres in 1829. At the behest of the Rev. Robert Russell of the Presbyterian Church, Evandale, Robert and his wife Dorothea provided a block of land from this grant on which The Nile Chapel was built by public subscription. Ownership of that land was subsequently transferred to the residents of Deddington in 1849. The Chapel began to be used as the local school from 1865 to 1885 and for a brief period in 1912.
In the 1960's the building needed extensive restoration and this work was undertaken by The National Trust of Tasmania and the local residents. In 1999 further maintenance was undertaken by the current Trustees. The maintenance project is ongoing and encompasses the restoration of the graves, renewal of the fencing, signage and landscaping the grounds.
There are a number of graves in the grounds of the Chapel, including the crypt containing the remains of the famous Colonial Artist, John Glover Snr., his wife Sarah Glover nee Young, and his sons Henry and John Richardson Glover. Many of John Gloverís most famous works were painted in the area.
The Chapel is still in use today. Bookings for the use of the Chapel, or arrangements for tours may be made by prior arrangements with ó
The Trustees, The Nile Chapel, Deddington,, P.O. Box 48, Evandale, Tasmania 7212.
Phone 03 6398 6287 Fax 03 6398 6150 E-mail email@example.com.
[The design and building of The Nile Chapel, Deddington has been attributed to John Glover Snr., however, extensive research both in Australia and England has failed to produce any documentary evidence to support this contention. For many years John Richardson Glover, the eldest son of John Glover, was certainly closely associated with the operation of the Chapel up until the time of his death.]