Langton Matravers, a charming village consisting of old stone cottages and houses in the Isle of Purbeck is 4 miles S.E. of Corfe Castle and 2 miles inland from Swanage. In 1851 it comprised of 3,400 acres with various soils and overlying chalk. The oldest occupation in Langton Matravers was farming however the quarrying and cutting of the local limestone has been important since Roman times.
The Parish Church is dedicated to St. George and is at least the third, and possibly the fourth building on the site. Hutchins in 'The History of Dorset' describes the church as "an ancient building, consisting of a chancel, body, and two aisles, whereof the north is a small one belonging to Wilkswood farm, and was probably a chapel made use of by that priory: the south aisle is of equal length with the body of the church." On the west wall the remains of a chapel built about 1290 can be seen and the embattled tower was added in the 15th century.
In 1828 the church, with the exception of the tower, was taken down and rebuilt with nave, chancel and south porch. However in 1876 this larger church became unsafe because of smuggling activities in the roof and was demolished and rebuilt.
The rebuilt nave and chancel are of Purbeck Stone decorated with Portland Stone, Purbeck 'Marble' and Studland Sandstone. Housed in the old tower are a trinity of bells, the tenor being the original of about 1420.
The oldest occupation was farming, but quarrying and cutting of the local limestone has been important since Roman times with mines sunk to deal with the enormous demand for the local stone during the late 17th Century, especially after the Great Fire of London in 1666.
The population of Langton Matravers in 1891 was 773. In 1991 it was 910.
The Online Parish Clerk for Langton Matravers is Sue Mills
Any enquiries please contact by email at the following:
I am an unpaid volunteer willing to assist
others with their genealogical research
and should in no way be confused with the County Council appointed Parish Clerk.
I live in Western Australia.
FOR RECORDS FROM
16th and 17th Century Records :
- Tudor Subsidy Rolls - 1523, 1543 and 1593
Transcribed by Louisa Haywood
Parish Registers :
Baptisms - 1670 - 1880
Transcription by Michael Norman and Sue Mills
Marriages - 1670 - 1841
Transcription by Michael Norman
Burials - 1670 - 1841
Transcription by Michael Norman
List of Rectors of St George's Church - c1200 - 1991
Monumental Inscriptions :
Langton Matravers Cemeteries
Unless otherwise stated, the MI photos were taken by Jan Marsh
- Langton Matravers Village MI's - 1
Militia List :
Census Returns :
Full transcription of 1803 list of names of inhabitants in preparation for a French Invasion -
Full transcription of 1841 census -
Full transcription of 1851 census -
Full transcription of 1861 census -
1881 census. - Free transcription or pay per image http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
1901 census. - Free transcription or pay per image http://www.ancestry.co.uk/
1939 Register Langton Matravers -
Name Index and Register
by John Patrick and Lew Fletcher
Calendar of Wills and Administrations -
Archdeaconry and Consistory Court - 1567 - 1855
- Saxon Estates in Purbeck
- Domesday Map
Langton Matravers of Olde - 1
This and That :
Lumey - an extract from Roy Martin's book
Suggested Reading :
- Purbeck - Books and Newspapers
- List of those researching in Purbeck
To be added to the list contact
Dorchester Gaol Registers - 1782 - 1853
- List of Purbeck Stone Mines - 1896
- List of Dorset Mines - 1908
- Purbeck Stone
- Roll of Honour - World War 1 & 2
- Dorset Life Magazine article on Langton Matravers
by Rodney Legg
- Quarrymans' Ways
- The History of St George's Primary School, Langton Matravers
- Obituaries from the Fortnightly Returns of the
Operative Society of Masons, Quarrymen and
Allied Trades of England and Wales
- British History Online - Langton Matravers
- Geoffery Norris's PhD on the Stone Trade