Swanage of Olde

Photos from the book 'Swanage Past' by
David Lewer & Dennis Smale, 1994
Published by Phillimore & Co Ltd

and Cyndi Mark

An Engraving, c1800, of Swanage from Carrant's Court, Cowleaze, by H.Gastineau. Townsend and the church tower are on the right of the picture, with Priest's Way on the left, descending to the blacksmith's (Parkers Stores) at the junction with the High Street. In the distance is Northbrook Farm, but what is the building on the left? Could it be Carrant's Court Manor?

 

Swanage Bay from Peveril, c1830. On the left is Alpha Cottage.
The Grove was built in 1838 and the stone quay in 1823.

Swanage Bay from the Downs c1830. Belvidere and The Rookery, on Seymer Road, are on the left of the picture and Marine Villa is on the right The stone quay can just be seen in the middle distance.

 

Swanage from an etching by Phillip Brannon on 1 August,1856, showing the Rose steamboat at the quay. The first pier was not built until 1859. From left to right: The Grove, Marine Villa, Belvidere, Tontine Houses, Osborne House, The Rookery, Royal Victoria Hotel and Victoria Terrace, seen opposite the stone bankers.

 

J.W.B.Gibbs' painting of the High Street, c1865, showing old Purbeck House, and on the right the Drong, later replaced by the Town Hall. The shops were replaced by King Alfred Terrace, built for J.C.Robinson.

 

Godlingston Manor before the fire of 1871. Note the ground-floor door to the ivy-clad, semi-circular tower, c1300, which was later walled up.

An idyllic scene showing Ulwell Mill in 1874, by Walter Field. The mill house has gone, replaced with a busy road to the Sandbanks ferry.

 

Whitecliff Farm, the home of the Cockrams.


The 18th century Herston House, seat of the landed Cockram family,   and later of Capt. Cole RN. John Mowlem purchased this property in 1849 and added the crenellations. The house was demolished in 1967. The stone'battlements' were preserved, forming a path to a house facing Swanage Shore.

 

High St, c1890, showing George Burt's new Purbeck House. It was designed by the architect Crickmay in 1875, as was the Town Hall.