almost entirely of the offspring of the original Parker family - the young members of the Parker, Knuckey, Munday and Bettenay farnilies. They presented a well rehearsed and received public concert in 1933 in the Roleystone Hall, much to the delight of their admiring parents. A play from the programme, 'Mr & Mrs Pepper', was later performed as an entry in the 1933 South Suburban Musical and Elocutionary Society's annual festival. The cast was entered under the title of Roleystone juniors and came first in the one-act play Under 16 section.

In this way the foundations of the Roleystone Choral and Dramatic Society were fashioned and set, strong foundations which were to withstand the foibles and follies of the next 60 years.

AFTER THE WAR: The Society Rejuvenates.

The War 1939-45 seriously curtailed the activities of the Roleystone Choral and Dramatic Society. Many of the younger members were called up and joined the services. Yet despite this a core of stalwarts carried on, presenting 'patriotic' concerts for the war effort. Wirlie Moore arrived in Roleystone in 1943 and shortly after joined the Society with her husband. Her diary entries indicate that choral practice apparently took place every fortnight on Tuesdays. Readings of plays supplied by the Adult Education Board were also conducted. Certainly in 1945 a concert was planned and presented in September as these entries indicate.

'Thurs 6th Sept: Worked on concert wardrobes etc and stage settings, last late rehearsal Fri 7th. Bill went up to work on the stage. Sat 8th. Concert a great success but I have overdone things and was too tired to enjoy the party afterwards and had to go home.'

Her husband, Bill had a special flair at stage setting, and it was his responsibility to paint back drops, put up curtains, build sets and create stage effects.

In 1946 another concert was successfully prepared and presented. By this time the young men and women had returned from their war duties and had re-immersed themselves whole heartedly into the activities of a company that was to be called 'The Concert Party'. For the next 10 years or more the Concert Party programmes were to play a prominent part in the life of the Choral and Dramatic Society, in competition with preparation for the annual festivals of the South Suburban Musical and Elocutionary Society which were recommenced in 1946.
At these, Roleystone continued to enjoy the success achieved during the pre-war period and in 1947 won for the second time the R. S. Sampson Cup after 3 consecutive wins in the District Choir section (1939 1946 & 1947), thus establishing Roleystone's emminence in this field. The many awards and certificates won during the 40's and so's reflects the major focus which the society again placed on these competitions.

Associated with the Society was the instrumental group 'The Hilarians'. An ensemble of 6 young men and women who played violins and banjolins and practiced under the discerning ear of Mary Knuckey Their efforts were rewarded by winning the instrumental section in the 1946 Eisteddfod and later their talent gained them 3rd place in the finals of the Relax Show, conducted over radio for amateur performers.
Two of the group were the grown up sons of Mary Curnow and Lloyd. In the programme presented by the Roleystone Concert Party in 1946, the Hilarians opened the entertainment with a bright rendition of 'Flying Wedge'.
Later they played their signature tune 'Hilarity'. Choruses were included (often very humorous) and short sketches and skits interspersed the solo and group singing. Three plays were also presented,'Compromising Martha', 'The Three Sisters', 'Evening Dress Indispensable' and a highlight was 'An Irish Scene' -

The home of Roleystone Theatre about 1926, a few years before the Choral and Dramatic Society was formed

THE ORANGE PIERROTS
Mrs. Lilian Mundy, sister of Mary Knuckey and Ted Parker, in her 'Recollections of Early Roleystone' recalled as follows.

In 1933 Mrs Ivy Parker and Mrs Mary Knuckey conce!ved the idea of putting on a unique family concert. There were 19 children at the time in the Parker family between the ages of five and sixteen.

Rehearsals were held at 'Hillandale', then the home of Ted and Ivy Parker. Auntie Mary Knuckey was in charge of music and Ivy Parker was producer and arranged all sets, dances, little plays and general stage deportment.

Busy bees were held and costumes cut out and made. The company was named 'The Orange Pierrots' and the nineteen children made a charming picture in their orange costumes with black ruffles and pom poms'.

The concert was an open invitation to all the residents of Roleystone, members of the Armadale-Kelmscott Roads Board and Mr R. S. Sampson, the member for Swan. The small hall was apparently filled to capacity with an appreciative audience.

Vern, husband of Margaret Betteney, has vivid memories of one item on the programme, the 'Tin Can Fusilers' in which he was required to strjke a triangle at a particular point in the proceedings. Needless to say, he missed his cue, and the wrath of Aunt Mary Knuckey's response was enough to convince him that the stage was not for him.

His cousin, Merv Mundy, who continued his association with the Society in later years, remembers the concert very well, playing the role of a policeman in one of the items. He especially remembers the miming of 'Rendevouz', in which his sister, Gwen took part and according to lilian, his mother, this item was 'perhaps the highlight' of the evening's performance. There were solo and instrumental items by the older children and an action song, 'Puss Pretty Puss' for the little ones...

Lilian lamented the fact that no picture of the entire troupe was taken. At least photos of her four children, Merv, Gwen, Verna and Phyllis in costumes worn during the concert remain in existence

Perhaps the most amazing aspect about the Orange Pierrots, was that the Mundy children had to travel all the way from South Perth to attend week-end rehearsals.

Young Merv Mundy as policeman in "Mr. and Mrs. Pepper"


Previous Page - Home - Index - Next Page