- This level contains a series of one way trips. The only part that isn't
a one way trip is the final wrap around back to the start. You aren't able
to revisit any of the rooms again though.
- Activating the teleporter sequence at Teleporter Station 6 and teleporting
from Hell to Delta Complex is a one way trip.
- There is no intro text for this level.
- Your mission has changed to
Find The Soul Cube And Escape Hell.
- Hear a deep voice: "Welcome to my domain. Behold the shape of things to
come. The time has come for the forces of hell to escape their prison and
drive mankind into darkness. Your darkest fears will soon be realised and
your soul will burn in hell. Everything is mine here ??? and you will
never find the thing you seek.
- Uh, where are your weapons? You're in hell buddy and the bad news is that
you've been stripped bare to the fists. You will pick up all the weapons
you need during the level and then at the end of the level, you'll lose
them all again when you teleport to Delta Complex. Life is indeed a bitch.
- A quick strategy tip for the level is to even out the use of your weapons
to spread the load. You can't just use your favourite weapon all the time
or it will run out of ammo.
- It's, uh, very dark in hell and there ain't no flashlight. I recommend the
following console command: "r_gamma 1.5", it makes a big difference. Most
monitor and video cards will not display this level very well without this
kind of tweak. Resist using the menu brightness option, it's crap.
- The only good thing you will notice is that your stamina bar never runs
out. You can run like hell, and you're gonna have to if you want to
- Examine the large green circle you've landed in, it has many patterns.
When you step off the circle a dead body gets picked up like a ragdoll and
is carried over the lava towards a blue light below a skull and is then
dropped into the lava.
- Collect 3 Large Health (1-3), 2 Combat Armour (1-2), the Shotgun (1),
Backpack (1), the Pistol (1) and 2 Small Bullets (1-2). Ok, you've got the
bare essentials now - that feels much better. Try to leave a couple of
items behind as you will return here at the end of the level.
- The teleporter panel reads "Teleporter Station 6. Seraching for active
alignment. Position plane lost. EPR state not found". In other words, it
- Head toward the blue light. Look to the left and see a gigantic skull with
horns engulfed in flames.
- As you near the base of the steps, 2 stone gargoyles rise to attention,
but they allow you to climb the steps.
- At the blue light see heads rising up through it.
- Step into the blue light and teleport to the Unknown.
- Your life just keeps getting better. You are hovering in middair. Hear an
evil laugh. A cage forms around you as you plummet into the red emptiness
- Land in Unidentified  - this is a one way trip.
- The stonework around you comes tumbling down and 3 Imps (1-3) attack from
- Some of the stones fall and form a bridge over to a cave entrance with a
skull above it.
- In an orange symbol on the ground is 2 Small Shells (1-2) and a Shotgun
- Notice the floating rocks suspended in midair all around you. It's best
not to think too much about how this is possible. Like what the hell is
holding up the platform you are on?
- Behind the wall opposite the path to the cave are some items. Walk around
the left side of the wall and find 8 Armour Shards (1-8).
- Don't fall off you're little island, unlike the rocks you will fall to
- Head toward the cave. Hear the obligitory maniacal laughing. Move into
- Collect 1 Large Shells (1) at the corner.
- Great, now the laughing has been replaced with the sounds of weeping and
- Continue past a candle and a down some stairs into Unidentified  - this
is a one way trip.
- As you move forward, behind you a wall forms and the stairs disappear.
- In front of you on the other side of the room a hellknight busts through a
wall just to be with you. Another wall forms behind it until after you
dispense with the Hellknight (1), then it comes down.
- In an alcove to the right kill a Cherub (1) and an Imp (4). Find 1 Small
Shells (3) and 2 Small Health (1-2).
- In the passage to the left kill 2 Cherubs (2-3) at the corner. Find 2
Small Shells (4-5) and 1 Combat Armour (3).
- Duck into the 2nd alcove to the right to obtain 1 Chainsaw (1) and 1 Small
- Head through the doorway of broken bricks into Unidentified  - this is
a one way trip.
- Bricks close in behind you.
- Look up and see two skeletons dangling from the ceiling over to the right.
Steam comes up from the lava below.
- There are rooms to the left and right.
- In the left room is an Ammo Belt (1) and 1 Chain Gun (1) in a satanic
circle. There are strange markings on the wall.
- As you collect the items the walls move to reveal 2 Large Health (4-5) and
2 Ammo Belts (2-3) in niches in the floor.
- Now enter the right room. The rooms shakes as 2 Imps (5-6) teleport in.
Outside in the previous room a wall has come down revealing 2 archways
into the next area.
- Enter Unidentified  - this is a one way trip.
- Kill 6 Lost Souls (1-6) that attack.
- The door behind you is sealed.
- To the right of the doorway is 1 Combat Armour (4) and 1 Large Health (6)
behind a pillar.
- Head out to the open. Observe the floating stones, some with symbols on
them. Black shadows are continually rising up from the emptyness below.
- You will need to do some stone hopping now. You can avoid most of the
enemies if you like by avoiding the symbols. If you hear a hissing noise
that is the warning that lost souls have been triggered.
- Trigger 2 Lost Souls (7-8).
- Collect 2 Large Health (7-8) on a stone.
- Trigger 1 Lost Soul (9), then 1 Lost Soul (10) then 2 Lost Souls (11-12).
- Finally make it to a cavern.
- Find 1 Small Health (4) to the left inside the doorway.
- Follow the path until you enter a doorway to Unidentified  with bars
above you and fenced off section in front of you.
- Carefully edge forward and trigger 2 Lost Souls (13-14), one to the right
and one around the corner to the left.
- When you move to the fence in front of you, the path behind you becomes
blocked and a Hellknight (2) emerges from a stone door to your left.
- Head around the corner to trigger 3 Imps (7-9), one behind and two in
front. This lowers the gates in the middle section but don't go there yet.
- Find 1 Combat Armour (5) where the hellknight came from.
- In an alcove where an imp came from is 1 Large Shells (2), 1 Chain Gun
(2), 1 Ammo Belt (4) and 2 Large Health (9-10).
- At the end of the hall is a dangling skeleton that falls as you get close.
Collect 2 Small Health (5-6).
- Now enter the middle room with the rising steam. This triggers a Mancubus
(1) and 5 Cherubs (4-8), the cute little guys teleport in one after
- Head down the end where the mancubus emerged from.
- Find 7 Armour Shards (9-15) near a lava pit.
- Look up to see more evil growth.
- In the room at the end find 1 Small Health (7), 1 Large Health (11) and 1
Small Plasma Cells (1) near a skeleton impaled on a pole.
- Collect the Plasma Gun (1) lying in a satanic circle and you enter
Unidentified  - this is a one way trip.
- You are caged in again and begin another descent. Hear Betruger: "Death
will not be your end. Your soul will burn in hell forever". Your are
finally deposited on an angled slope down into a large room with several
- Spy a berserker sitting snug on a satanic symbol but don't collect it
until you familiarise yourself with the area.
- Collect the Berserker (1) and kill the 4 Imps (10-13) that teleport in.
- Race over to where 7 Armour Shards (16-22) are lying as a nearby wall
- Punch your first Hellknight (3) to death and 2 Imps (14-15).
- Find a stash of 2 Small Plasma Cells (2-3), 1 Large Rockets (1), 1 Ammo
Belt (5), 2 Large Shells (3-4), 1 Large Health (12) and 5 Armour Shards
- Return back the way you came and trigger another Hellknight (4) and an
Imp (16) when another wall comes down.
- Glowing symbols have appeared on the floor, leading back towards the large
satanic symbol and into a new room revealed by a broken down wall.
Simon R. Garlick's PDA (1) on the floor. It contains 2 Emails (1-2)
and 2 Audio Logs (1-2).
- In another satanic circle find 2 Large Health (13-14), 4 Small Plasma
Cells (4-7), 1 Combat Armour (6), 1 Ammo Belt (6) and 2 Rocket Launchers
- Open the door and enter Unidentified  - this is a one way trip.
- Walk forward a short way and the stone wall forms behind you blocking your
- Walk out to the large open lava pit with a large stone suspended above a
satanic circle in the middle. There's a ledge to the right and two ledges
to the left containing goodies that you can get later.
- Move forward and trigger a teleporting Mancubus (2) on the right ledge as
a wall forms behind you preventing your way back.
- The large stone in the middle starts pounding down on the circle, lifting
and repeating as the room shakes with the reverberations and sparks fly.
- A Mancubus (3) teleports to the left front ledge and then another Mancubus
(3) appears on the left back ledge.
- Time the plunging rock and run under it. Jump the gap to the gray stone
- Edge forward to trigger 2 Lost Souls (15-16).
- Now turn around and back up as a Mancubus (5) teleports to the left ledge
above you in the lava room.
- Now follow the path into a cave, up some stairs lined with candles toward
some bars at the top.
- Trigger an Imp (17).
- Move in and look out over the lava room again. See the items to the right
on ledges you saw earlier. You can walk off and drop onto the ledge with
2 Ammo Belts (7-8) and 6 Armour Shards (28-33).
- Run and jump to the ledge with 6 Armour Shards (34-39) and 2 Large Health
- Now run and jump over to the stone bridge and make your way back to the
top of the stairs again.
- Head over to the other side of the room and collect 3 Small Plasma Cells
(8-10), 1 Small Rockets (2), 2 Large Health (17-18) and 1 Ammo Belt (9).
- Now head deeper into the room between the pillars and into the next
- Trigger 2 Imps (18-19) before the stairs.
- Take the stairs. Near the corner kill the Imp (20) that rolls in from the
- Open the door to Unidentified .
- Destroy the 3 Lost Souls (17-19) that attack.
- Edge forward and trigger 3 Imps (21-23), two from the left alcove and one
from the right alcove.
- The left alcove holds 1 Small Health (8).
- Walk out to the bridge. Kill the 2 Lost Souls (20-21) that fly past.
- To the left are steps down to the lava. Collect 1 Large Health (19) at
the top and at the bottom 1 Plasma Gun (2), 2 Small Plasma Cells (11-12)
and 1 Combat Armour (7).
- Head back up the stairs and across the bridge and climb the rickety wooden
- At the top of the stairs look up and see more souls whizzing around.
- Continue forward and trigger 2 Lost Souls (22-23).
- At the corner opposite a door collect 1 Ammo Belt (10), 7 Armour Shards
(40-46) and 1 Large Health (20) as 5 Zombies (1-5) appear all around you,
three from the next door and two back down the hall.
- Open the door to Unidentified  - this is a one way trip.
- Move into the room as a stone wall appears to block your way back in the
- To the right a Hellknight (5) attacks backed up by 3 Lost Souls (24-26).
- Find 2 Small Health (9-10) near 3 stones.
- Open the next door to Unidentified .
- Kill the Hellknight (6) in the doorway.
- Trigger 2 Imps (24-25) as you approach 1 Small Health (11) and 5 Armour
- Move forward and trigger 1 Imp (26) in front and 1 Hellknight (7) in the
- At the back of the room collect 1 Ammo Belt (11), 3 Small Plasma Cells
(13-15), 1 Small Health (12), 1 BFG Cells (1) and 1 Large Health (21).
Kill the Hellknight (8) that gets triggered nearby.
- Now step to the edge and walk to the right and collect the BFG 9000 (1)
lying in a satanic circle. Kill the 2 Lost Souls (27-28) that appear.
- Now go back inside and head down the corridor to a new area.
- Kill the Hellknight (9), 4 Cherubs (9-12) and 2 Lost Souls (29-30).
- Head into the room with a hanging carcass and a swinging chain and kill
the Lost Soul (31) that teleports in.
- Find 5 Armour Shards (52-56) and 1 Combat Armour (8) on the floor.
- Follow the path up the stairs and into a room with laval below and take
out a Mancubus (6).
- Find 6 Armour Shards (57-62), 2 Ammo Belts (12-13) and 1 Large Shells (5).
- All the stones in the room can be pushed but they seem to serve no
- Find 1 Large Health (22) before the stairs up to the next door.
- Open the door and kill the Mancubus (7) right in your face.
- Enter Unidentified .
- To the left is 1 Ammo Belt (14) and a Small Health (13).
- Edge forward and trigger 1 Mancubus (8) to the left and 6 Cherubs (13-18)
that teleport in one after another.
- Find 1 Large Rockets (1) to the right against the wall.
- Go left down the hall and kill the Hellknight (10) in the alcove to the
- At the corner are bars into a cell you can't get into. Continue to the
right and up the stairs and toward the next door.
- Betruger says "For every step you take, your soul leads closer to me".
- Open the door to Unidenfied .
- Follow the path. Betruger chirps in with "Suffering and pain waits for
- You reach a room with a blue shimmering portal.
- An indestructable dead guy in a space suit lies on the floor.
- Find 2 Large Health (23-24), 1 Combat Armour (9), 1 Small Plasma Cells
(16), 1 Large Rockets (2), 1 Ammo Belt (15), 1 Small Rockets (3), 1 Large
Plasma Cells (1) and 2 Large Health (25-26) around to the right.
- Edge around the right side of the portal just inside the blue light and
follow the path behind to 1 BFG Cells (2) and 2 Small Plasma Cells
- Now prepare yourself. You are about to go through the portal and meet
Doom 3's second boss. I suggest you arm yourself with a rocket launcher.
- Enter the portal and teleport to Unidentified  - this is a one way
- Hear "Save us" as you get a brief cutscene of the Guardian, Doom 3's
second boss. The voice comes from the Soul Cube but you don't know it yet.
- You are in a large courtyard. Rocks and stones are suspended in midair.
There are 4 stone walls, 2 on either side of you.
- The Guardian is a controversial boss, mainly because it is not immediately
clear how to kill it. You can't just aim at its body and fire and this has
frustrated many players. You are given some clues by the Soul Cube that
whispers to you during the fight but it is easy to miss this during the
heat of battle.
- The Guardian's only vulnerability is the blue orb that appears above his
head. The blue orb only appears when you shoot down the seekers that the
Guardian spawns periodically. The seekers act as the Guardian's eyes and
it is blind without them. He will only see you and move toward you when
the seekers light you up.
- The Guardian has two attacks. The first is a fireball attack where it
stomps the ground and 8 fireballs radiate out in all directions. This is
avoided by running away and picking gaps between the fireballs. The second
attack is his melee attack where he will stomp and push you away doing you
- Some strategy guides suggest shooting the blue orb above his head with BFG
or rockets and then switching to chain gun or shotgun to take out the 3
seekers that appear each cycle and then rinse and repeat.
- I found that toggling between the weapons is unecessarily awkward. The
shotgun is useless because the seekers stay out of range where it is
effective. The seekers move from side to side and always seem to avoid
most chaingun shots and it takes several seconds to take out even one
seeker this way.
- There are several rocket packs around the area and you should have several
that you've collected along the way. A rocket can take out one or two
seekers and is quick.
- With the above information I adopted the following strategy:
- Use rocket launcher and nothing but rockets and keep 'em coming.
- He is vulnerable right at the start - see the blue orb above his
head and rocket it like hell.
- 3 seekers appear. Rocket the shite out of 'em. Just be sure that the
last one you waste is when you have the Guardian lined up.
- You may have to take some minor evasive action during 3 as the
Guardian moves toward you.
- Repeat steps 2, 3 ,4.
- Jump with joy as that slack jawed Guardian faggot bites the dust
like a sack of ...
- Using the above strategy you should be able to take out the Guardian in
3 or 4 cycles of the blue orb and still finish the level maxed out on
rockets - only to have them stripped from you again when you leave Hell.
Ain't life a bitch.
- As you fight the Guardian you will hear the Soul Cube speak to you:
"Destroy the seekers and the Guardian becomes vulnerable".
- Kill the Guardian (1).
- Step up and collect the
Soul Cube (1) by the
smoking remnants of the Guardian. A portal appears.
- Hear the Soul Cube: "We are many. We are one. We are the prementor ???.
You know us as the soulcube. Free us from our eternal prison, and we will
help you. Vanquish our enemies and we grow stronger. Listen for our call,
and then free us to smite down the evil".
- Before entering the portal do a circuit of the area and collect the
- The front left wall has 2 Large Rockets (3-4).
- The back left wall has 3 Large Health (27-29) and 1 Backpack (2).
- The back right wall has 3 Large Rockets (5-7) and 1 Large Rocket (8).
- Now enter the portal and teleport to Unidentified  - this is a one way
- Hear the Soul Cube: "Destroying evil gives us life, and makes us stronger.
Unleash us when you hear our call. We will pass the life force of those
you slay to you. We foresee a great battle, the outcome is not clear. We
are the only way to destroy Hell's mightiest warrior".
- Go down the stairs and follow the path back to the large satanic circle
where you started the level.
- Step up to Teleporter Station 6 which is now active. Press "Activate
teleporter sequence" to exit Hell and teleport to Delta Complex.
- This completes the mission
Find The Soul Cube And Escape Hell.
- If you examine the Doom 3 editor you will find there is a PDA referenced
in this level that you can't obtain during play. See
Joshua P. Hebert's PDA. It contains 2 Emails and 1 Audio Log. Neither
of the emails has been filled in and the audio log is missing so it
doesn't really count as a game item. I just mention it for completion.
- New Weapons
- You recover all your lost weapons except Machine Gun and Grenade
- Soul Cube
- New Enemies
- Pistol - 1
- Shotgun - 2
- Machine Gun - 0
- Grenade - 0
- Chain Gun - 2
- Plasma Gun - 2
- Rocket Launcher - 2
- BFG 9000 - 1
- Chainsaw - 1
- Soul Cube - 1
- Small Bullet - 2
- Large Bullet - 0
- Small Shell - 5
- Large Shell - 5
- Small Clip - 0
- Large Clip - 0
- Ammo Belt - 15
- Small Plasma Cell - 18
- Large Plasma Cell - 1
- Small Rocket - 3
- Large Rocket - 8
- BFG Cell - 2
- Combat Armour - 9
- Armour Shard - 62
- Small Health - 13
- Large Health - 29
- Emergency Medical Station - 0
- PDA - 1
- Email - 2
- Audio Log - 2
- Video Disk - 0
- Air Canister - 0
- Backpack - 2
- Adrenaline - 0
- Berserker - 1
- Flashlight - 0
- ACO Keycard - 0
- Maintenance Key 4 - 0
- Military Transmission Card - 0
- Data Linker - 0
- Plasma Inducer - 0
- BRD Access Card - 0
- DLib Replacement Panel - 0
- Caverns Access - 0
- Storage Room 11 Key - 0
- Storage Lockers - 0
- Door Locks - 0
- Codes - 0
- Security Clearance Updates - 0
- Objectives - 0
- Characters - 0
- Archvile - 0
- Cacodemon - 0
- Cherub - 18
- Hellknight - 10
- Imp - 26
- Lost Soul - 31
- Maggot - 0
- Mancubus - 8
- Pinky Demon - 0
- Revenant - 0
- Tick - 0
- Trite - 0
- Wraith - 0
- Zombie - 5
- Z-Sector Guard - 0
- Vagary - 0
- Guardian - 1
- Sabaoth - 0
- Cyberdemon - 0