The Sinking of the Junyo Maru

About H.M.S. Tradewind


Read the Index to get this story in context and for the source of this information.


H.M.S. Tradewind was a submarine of the Triton Class, built at Chatham Dockyard and completed on the 18th of October 1943. Her standard displacement was 1090 tons and dimensions: length 273 ft, breadth 27 ft 7 ins, maximum draft at surface displacement 14 ft 9 ins and armament 1 4", 1 20mm Oerlikon, 3 .303" Vickers G.O.(4 mountings).
H.M.S. Tradewind was allocated to the 3rd Submarine Flotilla, based at Holy Loch, and was on patrols in the Norwegian area during January and February 1944.

In March 1944 she was allocated to the Eastern Fleet and left the Clyde on the 12th of March 1944 to reach Trincomalee (Sri Lanka) on the 21st of May 1944 joining the 4th Submarine Flotilla. Between the 8th of June and the 3rd of July 1944 she was on her first Far East patrol in the Sunda Strait, on a special operation to reconnoiter and obtain intelligence.

Between July and August 1944 she was on patrol in the Strait of Malacca.

Between the 8th of September and the 4th of October 1944 she was again engaged on special operations off the West coast of Sumatra. On September 16 she sank two barges loaded with cement and on the 18th of September 1944 she sank the Japanese transport JUNYO MARU with two torpedo hits. The submarine was handicapped by a flooded HP periscope throughout this patrol.

Her fourth patrol, off the West coasts of Burma and Siam, covered the period 20 October to 15 November 1944.

The Tradewind's fifth patrol, off the West coast of Sumatra, began on the 5th of December 1944. She left the patrol of December 15 to join the 8th Submarine Flotilla at Fremantle (Australia) operated by the Commander Submarines, 7th Fleet. The 8th Submarine Flotilla became part of the British Pacific Fleet in April 1945.

H.M.S. Tradewind undertook several patrols in the south-west Pacific starting on January 12 1945.

She left Fremantle for refitting in the UK on June 6, 1945 arriving in Portsmouth on July 16. On completion early in 1946 she joined the 7th Submarine Flotilla, based at Portland. She was refitted again in 1950 and at the end of 1953 went into Reserve at Portsmouth. She was scrapped in July 1955.


Return to the Index.


Please email any queries, comments or suggestions you may have about this page or event.
Created May 1997